Live from the Knife Shop! Shop and Progress Photos

Always interesting to see how and where knives are made. Very nice looking knives...that old Cymbal looks nice too. 20" Ride? How's it sound?

Curious: On the kiridashi, can the etching be extended into the dimples?

For sure! Those are just out of the heat treat oven... the different steels color differently from temper. They also have "decarb" something all carbon steel gets during heat treat, it is a layer of carbon that has migrated from the steel. They will get cleaned up to a mirror polish before the etch.

Always interesting to see how and where knives are made. Very nice looking knives...that old Cymbal looks nice too. 20" Ride? How's it sound?

Thanks! Lots of in progress shots...

That cymbal sounds great, I do think it is 20," it's a ride for sure. I used to trade and sell lots of music gear in Austin,TX and it is the best ride cymbal I have heard. I have some new beat and quick beat hi hats... lots of old Zildian gear I traded for over the years. I love vintage music gear, I have a small collection of little tube amps too, they are art to me.

The damascus dashi looks sick! The cc knives too. Can't wait to see the finished products.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Are the D2 tantos spoken for?

It looks like they probably are, I'll have to eventually do another run.

I have you on my interest list so I will let you know if anything turns up.

Making sheaths for some more Ti Bottle Opener Knives... I may have to do another run of them as well.

Untitled-43.jpg

I'm oxidizing some Ti here. The treatment seems to anodize the Titanium but with more of a mottled grey look, I'll stonewash them next. You can see some colors poking through, the colors run in the same order and color spectrum as heat coloring or anodizing but they are much more subtle. This finish seems to protect the Ti from scratching...

Untitled-42.jpg

Ha, you weren't kidding you are Oxydizing them fo sho. I love the McGeyver look i.e. mason jar etc. Impressive out put/fin product for the set up you have. I appreciate the lack of CNC machines and such. True Hand Custom here, and I cannot wait to get my first : ) Mucho Respect Sir.

No doubt : ) I'm already dreaming a folder and kitchen knife by the end of 2012. Gotta get my Fairly fix.... Thanks for calling me "Sid" IMWILSON. I hate my name and don't know whey i chose such a long one three years ago. I dig Sid.

Last edited:
No doubt : ) I'm already dreaming a folder and kitchen knife by the end of 2012. Gotta get my Fairly fix.... Thanks for calling me "Sid" IMWILSON. I hate my name and don't know whey i chose such a long one three years ago. I dig Sid.

No problem. We're all pretty friendly around here. Well, all of us may not be pretty, but we're friendly. :p

No problem. We're all pretty friendly around here. Well, all of us may not be pretty, but we're friendly. :p

Exactly! :D

Good people here.

I'll try to get some more photos today. Posting from the shop!

freshly heat treat damascus CC Knife... these were taken up to 900 grit pre heat treat, the "decarb" will buff right off... they are mirror shiny right under the thin layer
067-4.jpg

. . . hmmn, very "interesting" backdrop for the photo Daniel . . . bell doesn't look big enough for old style Paiste . . . . could be 90's Zyldjian . . . . put my stake on some Sabian AAx's . . . . :confused: :confused:
Daniel, your site is getting just as bad as Chris & BA's, first Bill posts his knives and now handguns, and here you are with the 2nd love of my life (drumming, can't say it too loud, Sally T is awake . . . ;) ) . . .
Oops, almost forgot, great looking knives as well . . . . :)
Be safe.

August 20th - More pics

scale material and some really dirty knives!

048-5.jpg

Great scale choices, i don't see very many yellow scaled blades, and the krypto is def one of my favs. Toxic is da shit, and blue's cool. Yup, they're gonna be lookers.

Tumbling some random stuff - tubes to deburr, before that I stonewashed a couple of Ti knives in the ceramic media

036-6.jpg

Great scale choices, i don't see very many yellow scaled blades, and the krypto is def one of my favs. Toxic is da shit, and blue's cool. Yup, they're gonna be lookers.

Thanks! Those yellowish ones are antique ivory micarta, old material. It has a "rind" on the outside which looks cool when the white stuff underneath is exposed... kind of like a sunburst guitar.

Back