Looking for a good Bowie

A way I have found which may help your decision along is to view this not as your Bowie knife, but as your FIRST Bowie knife,

A way I have found which may help your decision along is to view this not as your Bowie knife, but as your FIRST Bowie knife,

This is true! I'm still very much leaning towards the Fallkniven Thor. Havent seen anything in the same price range that has the same draw to me.

This started out as a Western W49, and I modified it along Bagwell's suggestions by reshaping the blade, and adding an Osage Orange wooden handle. Carbon steel...It works great.

Here is a recent project replacing the rubber factory handle with a leather washer and Osage handle,, along with a blued carbon guard, on a Kabar Heavy Bowie.

and here are some of my production versions for reference:

upper left Rigid (Seki) (the best balanced of this bunch), Trailmaster, Marbles, Upper right Western W49 modified, Ontario Marine Raider modified, Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

and some customs, Top down, De Leon, Graham, Tomberlein, Mitchell.

and a AA forge camp/mountain man

and a Howard Faucheaux 10.5" Bowie/fighter

Last edited:
This is true! I'm still very much leaning towards the Fallkniven Thor. Havent seen anything in the same price range that has the same draw to me.
Well then, as the Russian in the TV commercial says, "Jomp eennn eet"

Here are a couple AA Forge, and I would think Adam there would make a blade length to suit you

Thanks Deltablade your collection is IMPRESSIVE! You've given me lots of options!!

At this point if I see the Thor at the right price I'll buy it. My only concern is the companies warranty only extends to certain distributors (kinda bs)

There are multiple Bowies you have there I'd love to own. How long have you been collecting?

bout 55 years. The Fallkniven is a great Bowie, and you cant go wrong with it, as if you ever decide to replace it, the resale value is excellent

Ah I'm just a young buck, had my hand in guns for 20 years but knives is a relatively new hobby to me.

That Thor is pretty pricey... take a look at some of the big purveyors (2 good ones both start with A ) and you could probably score a custom for that kind of scratch.
Mother said "We're not cheap, we're frugal" I mean if you don't have to have it rightdammnow... I paid less for the Browning hand forged recurve than I did for the Ontario Bagwell... If you do need something for your aircrew kit right now, you could be well served by a less than $20 Ontario 12" machete until you find "the bowie"

That Thor is pretty pricey... take a look at some of the big purveyors (2 good ones both start with A ) and you could probably score a custom for that kind of scratch.
Mother said "We're not cheap, we're frugal" I mean if you don't have to have it rightdammnow... I paid less for the Browning hand forged recurve than I did for the Ontario Bagwell... If you do need something for your aircrew kit right now, you could be well served by a less than $20 Ontario 12" machete until you find "the bowie"

Can't have a knife that large, it'd be in the way of me being at the controls. My winkler belt knife already owns the spot on my flight kit. This is to put on my hip as I do long range hikes, I usually go big. You should the guns I own

This started out as a Western W49, and I modified it along Bagwell's suggestions by reshaping the blade, and adding an Osage Orange wooden handle. Carbon steel...It works great.

Here is a recent project replacing the rubber factory handle with a leather washer and Osage handle,, along with a blued carbon guard, on a Kabar Heavy Bowie.

upper left Rigid (Seki) (the best balanced of this bunch), Trailmaster, Marbles, Upper right Western W49 modified, Ontario Marine Raider modified, Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

The Mitchell Bowie is unbelievable.

Anyone with experience with the latest Cold Steel Trailmaster (the O-1 version, not San Mai)? Been looking at getting my first Bowie, and I really like the looks of it. I don't like upswept tips or concave swedges, which excludes a lot of common Bowie designs.

Last edited:
When Jeremiah Johnson was looking for a Bowie, he got this one. Prob would have done just fine in a Hugh Glass situation, and doubtless served well in disputes with the locals.

Camillus USA made a Bowie designed by Jerry Fisk. The OVB (Our Very Best) it's called.

Came in a few different handle materials. I have one in Desert Ironwood and one in Fiddleback Maple.

They carry like they're made out of waterproof smoke. They are fast handling and fun to play with.

Fisk told me on BFC Chat one night... "It was made to work, Vel... go forth!" And so, forth I have gone and he spaketh true.

They're still around if you look a bit, and are still affordable when you do find them.
What is a fair price for a new unused one nowadays.

If price is no object look at Miller Bros. blades, they have some amazing stuff in Z-Wear like the M-8 and M-10.

Back