• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Looking for a knifemaker

I am trying to locate a kitchen knifemaker to make me a custom chef knife out of 440C. It is supposedly difficult to work with and heat treat / cryo correctly. Do you have any kind of rating system for the knifemakers so that I can avoid disappointment ? I tried searching through the knifemaker type sub forums and have not had much luck. Is there an easier way ?

Take a look in the exchange/knifemakers forum/kitchen knives. Lots of makers there, one of which I am sure could take care of your needs.

I looked there and there is no way to find who specializes in what and what their quals may be. I tried searching on 440C (my preferred steel) and got very mixed results. I would love to spend my $$ on these makers but how am I supposed to know what quality I will receive.

Welcome to BFC readheads1 !!!!!!
You can always send a PM or email to enquire about your request. Some of the makers here are on FaceBook and other social media sites. 440C is not very common among most makers. Now, you can try to find an equivalent off 440C which may be more popular among makers. I've read that CTS-XHP is close to 440C and D2. I've also read that CTS-40CP is Carpenter's version of 440C.
Unless you're just dead set on 440C, there are equivalent steels that are popular that may be better performers due to the advanced processes in making steels of today.
Good luck in your quest.

I make all my kitchen knives out of AEB- L. It is an excellent performer. It will take a fine edge without chipping. With proper heat treat, a knife in AEB-L at 62RC will knock your socks off.

As for quality, I and any maker worth his salt will gladly take back an undamaged knife if you don't like it. No questions asked. You may have to pay shipping. Most of the good ones are that confident in their craft. That's my take anyway.

Kevin, can you detail your cryo timeline for the AEB-L kitchen knife ?

I am looking for an 8 inch chefs with a 2.25 inch belly. Can you give me a ROM price ?

Do you work with 440C also ?

Back