Recommendation? Looking for a new whittling knife!

Hi there!

Since GEC are kinda hard to get in Canada, i was looking for other (easier to get) options for a dedicated whittling knife. Case XX make some interesting models, i've sold all my Case knives for differents reasons but maybe i would give it another try...

Which pattern do you prefer for a whittling knife? Looks like the Stockman, Sowbelly and Seahorse whittler are the best options (at least for Case)?

Or maybe i should just keep my money and continue to use my small puukko and Victorinox as whittling knives and try to find one of these GEC #38 /62 or try to put my hands on the new #59?
(i just got a Northwoods Bear Lake and i think it could also make a nice little whittler).

I know a lot of knives can be used to do whittling, just wanted to get something a little "fancier/prettier" and more dedicated than my Victorinox SAK... because you know... we all love that pocket jewelry! 😅

Reactions: JM2
It might not be my favorite knife, but I do a LOT of whittling with a Case Medium Texas Jack with the CV blade steel.

I carry that one frequently for a multitude of reasons, really.

Are you looking for a folder or is a dedicated fixed blade carving knife also an option?

I can’t speak for the seahorse but of GEC‘s whittlers I like the 62 best for the small wharncliffe blades, I use that style blade almost exclusively and with the 62 you get 2 small details and a medium or even roughout blade. I’m a novice though so my advice is questionable.

I just purchased a seahorse whittler, and while it is nice, I like my old carbon steel stockman better. I think it is imperial or colonial. The small blades on the seahorse are nice, but the main blade seams a bit large and thick.

I’ve been looking at the Viper Swayback Jack lately. I don’t do much whittling but it looks like it might be in the same realm as some of those others.

I’ve been looking at the Viper Swayback Jack lately. I don’t do much whittling but it looks like it might be in the same realm as some of those others.
I think I've heard Vipers are a bit thick behind the edge, can't verify as I've never owned one. If so it would require a bit more manual work to get it into whittling-shape, but man those are nice knives otherwise

I like my seahorse whittler, and used it in the one very simple project I undertook a few years ago. As you can see, though, I don’t whittle much, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Honestly, I cannot think of any whittler I would rather have over the GEC Pocket Carver. I am certain if you watch the exchange on this site you will be able to pick one up at a reasonable price. After that, my second choice would be a GEC English whittler. I know, both are GEC knives, but I have many whittlers by many makers and these two are hands down my favorites and well worth the trouble to get.

I'm very much an inexpert amateur. However:

* I use the saw on a Victorinox Huntsman to cut wood.

* For roughly removing material, I use any of the Victorinox blade, or a larger locking clip point Hiro IC Cut (but can't use this out and about because of British law), or a Barlow or an A.Wright Ettrick depending on how much needs removing. I've never used a Puuko, but they look just the right tool for removing material and roughing out.

* Getting down to the finer whittling, my preferred pattern for utility, comfort and looks is what I assume to be a Boker Solingen 3-blade pattern, so the Hen & Rooster stag handled at the top, Boker beer barrel second left, Henckels/Zwilling walnut centre. My every day whittlers are the Hen and Rooster stag and Boker rosewood Carpenter's far right. The rest are absolutely unnecessary, but nice to have spares, reserves, substitutes - just in case (of what I don't know).

GEC? Quite like the idea of trying one based on the accolades, but the associated palaver and top-end secondary market prices are really not for me. I'll still keep half an eye open for a GEC English whittler or 59. Maybe one day.

For a while, I had a cheap split-back Rough Ryder. It was very effective.

Urjm1RQl.jpg

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t recommend the GEC pocket carver as your only whittling knife. Unless by whittling you mean, carving. Reason being, it has only wharncliffe blades. It’s a great knife when paired to a stockman or jack however. I love mine, but you can’t carve a spoon with a wharncliffe blade, so variety is a must. But since you have others already, I can’t say it’s a bad choice.

I like a case jumbo stockman for large work, and a schrade USA medium stockman or jack for small work (34OT & 33ot). Carbon steel takes a keener edge and is my preference. But I do use a stainless case 75 pattern jumbo stockman a lot, as it’s what I carry.

Before I got my pocket carver, I was thinking about converting one of two knives to have a wharncliffe blade. Either the small blade on my sak tinker, or my schrade 33ot pen blade. I don’t whittle with the sac much, but the 33ot jack sees some use.

So to compliment a puukko and a sak, I’d recommend an older schrade USA 34OT or 33ot. You could modify the sheepsfoot on the 34, or pen on the 33 and probably have as much versatility as you ever need.

But for case, a carbon blades stockman. Either a jumbo or medium.

Back