Recommendation? Looking for EDC Backpack recommendations

jameshowardbsa

Gold Member
Hey all! I have been testing, and have been disappointed, in EDC Backpack options. I wanted to see what you all might use, and if there was something out there that I had not thought about before that might fit my needs. Here is a list of what I am looking for in a Backpack:

1. Gray Man mentality, doesn't stand out as tactical or military, etc.
2. Water bottle specific pouches (ideally fit a 32 ounce Klean Kanteen)
3. Hold a 15" laptop (Mine is a Surface Studio Laptop)
4. CCW location (not necessary, but would like it)
5. Grab Handle(s)
6. Good fit for a large person (I am 6'10" 325lbs)
7. THIS MIGHT BE MOST IMPORTANT - The bag stands on it's own when you put it down (doesn't lean forward or backwards).

I know this is a pretty specific list, but I can be hopeful right!!??

Last edited:
Take a trip to Wal-Mart and look at the, 'Outdoor Products' brand of backpack. Look close at the construction. How well it was sewn. Then notice the weight.

With my personal backpack, I use it for fishing. Hiking to the spot and fishing. I have a weight limit of 10 pounds. To include the backpack and water.

I started life using military surplus backpacks. A patrol pack. The pack itself, empty, weighs in at 5 pounds.

The $15 Wal-Mart backpack is 4 pounds less. You'd think these cheap packs would be garbage. It'll rip or a strap will pull off. I can say that's a negative. Don't just pick up any pack. Look specifically for, 'Outdoor Products'. And if it matters to you. The thing has a lifetime warranty.

No problems with the material or zippers, either.

All those years I carried a ridiculously heavy Army issued backpack. Never knowing the difference until the Wal-Mart.

Take a trip to Wal-Mart and look at the, 'Outdoor Products' brand of backpack. Look close at the construction. How well it was sewn. Then notice the weight.

With my personal backpack, I use it for fishing. Hiking to the spot and fishing. I have a weight limit of 10 pounds. To include the backpack and water.

I started life using military surplus backpacks. A patrol pack. The pack itself, empty, weighs in at 5 pounds.

The $15 Wal-Mart backpack is 4 pounds less. You'd think these cheap packs would be garbage. It'll rip or a strap will pull off. I can say that's a negative. Don't just pick up any pack. Look specifically for, 'Outdoor Products'. And if it matters to you. The thing has a lifetime warranty.

No problems with the material or zippers, either.

All those years I carried a ridiculously heavy Army issued backpack. Never knowing the difference until the Wal-Mart.
I'll take a look!

Hey all! I have been testing, and have been disappointed, in EDC Backpack options. I wanted to see what you all might use, and if there was something out there that I had not thought about before that might fit my needs. Here is a list of what I am looking for in a Backpack:

1. Gray Man mentality, doesn't stand out as tactical or military, etc.
2. Water bottle specific pouches (ideally fit a 32 ounce Klean Kanteen)
3. Hold a 15" laptop
4. CCW location (not necessary, but would like it)
5. Grab Handle(s)
6. Good fit for a large person (I am 6'10" 325lbs)
7. THIS MIGHT BE MOST IMPORTANT - The bag stands on it's own when you put it down (doesn't lean forward or backwards).

I know this is a pretty specific list, but I can be hopeful right!!??

I have 2 brand recommendations, Vanquest and Osprey.

For Vanquest, the Trident 32 and 21 are fantastic, albeit quirky with their side/top openings. If they have a fault other than that, it's that they might have too much organization potential (ie: so many places to put things you'll forget where you put them.

1. They do have a kinda tactical look with molle loops. However, the molle area on the face is velcro covered, so you can just decorate it with patches. The small molle area on the side can similarly be covered with a hook and loop converter. All the other straps, loops, and dangly bits make it look more like it's a camping bag. Get it in grey or black rather than camo, obviously. Your opinion might differ.
2. Both have a single water bottle holder on one side. Unlike most packs with stretchy elastic, these are zippered and gusseted, meaning they'll never wear out like elastic/spandex will. There's a shock cord with plunger lock that you can tighten around the top to retain the bottle.
3. 15" laptop is a bit vague, as a 15" Macbook Air will be of different dimensions than an older 15" Windows chunker. The 32 will hold it regardless (it holds my thick 15.6 "gaming" laptop with DVD drive). The 21 will hold anything narrower than 10" wide.
4. Both the 32 and 21 have a CCW partition on the back, lined with the hook part of hook & loop (velcro) so you can stick a holster and mags in it.
5. Excellent top grab handles, the 32 has a simple extra strap on one side.
6. The 32 is quite sizable. The 21 might look comically small on you.
7. Both sizes stand up on their base unless you bulge out the bottom. Hard to do though, as the design of the pack gives them a lot of stiffness that makes them keep their form.

For Osprey, there's a few that have a built-in kickstand, the Parsec 26, the Radial, and the Tropos.

1. They definitely are not "tactical".
2. Waterbottle holders on either side. Elastic with compression straps.
3. They all should hold your laptop unless its oddly chunky in one dimension.
4. No CCW area.
5. Good top grab handles.
6. The Tropos is the bigger one. 32L or 34L depending on the iteration (they've changed over the years).
7. The "kickstand" is hard to describe, but easier to see if you watch a youtube video demonstrating it. Essentially it's an internal frame part that expands itself. If there's stuff in your bag, it should "deploy" on its own, but if it doesn't, you can open it yourself. Heavier or bulkier stuff at the bottom, and it's pretty reliable without doing it manually.

The Parsec is newer, and I think only has one "iteration". The Tropos is an older bag, and has changed over the years. Older one has a vertical zipper on the stash pocket. The current one has a couple new changes that are better (organization mostly), but I think the previous version is better because of the way the compression straps are at the top (the old version they're tuckable, the new version they're not and they're attatched to the stash pocket). The Tropos, whatever version, will have stronger fabric than the Parsec. The Radial is kinda a hybrid of the two, as it's a 26L bag but has an expandable section to make it Tropos sized. It is, however, more cyclist oriented than the other two, but that doesn't mean it's a bad choice for EDC (the "shoe compartment", for example, doesn't have to hold muddy cycling shoes). All 3 have Osprey's famous "Airspeed" back.

394201416_6648574755237755_305831352919554543_n.jpg

I have 2 brand recommendations, Vanquest and Osprey.

For Vanquest, the Trident 32 and 21 are fantastic, albeit quirky with their side/top openings. If they have a fault other than that, it's that they might have too much organization potential (ie: so many places to put things you'll forget where you put them.

1. They do have a kinda tactical look with molle loops. However, the molle area on the face is velcro covered, so you can just decorate it with patches. The small molle area on the side can similarly be covered with a hook and loop converter. All the other straps, loops, and dangly bits make it look more like it's a camping bag. Get it in grey or black rather than camo, obviously. Your opinion might differ.
2. Both have a single water bottle holder on one side. Unlike most packs with stretchy elastic, these are zippered and gusseted, meaning they'll never wear out like elastic/spandex will.
3. 15" laptop is a bit vague, as a 15" Macbook Air will be of different dimensions than an older 15" Windows chunker. The 32 will hold it regardless (it holds my thick 15.6 "gaming" laptop with DVD drive). The 21 will hold anything narrower than 10" wide.
4. Both the 32 and 21 have a CCW partition on the back, lined with the hook part of hook & loop (velcro) so you can stick a holster and mags in it.
5. Excellent top grab handles, the 32 has a simple extra strap on one side.
6. The 32 is quite sizable. The 21 might look comically small on you.
7. Both sizes stand up on their base unless you bulge out the bottom. Hard to do though, as the design of the pack gives them a lot of stiffness that makes them keep their form.

For Osprey, there's a few that have a built-in kickstand, the Parsec 26, the Radial, and the Tropos.

1. They definitely are not "tactical".
2. Waterbottle holders on either side. Elastic with compression straps.
3. They all should hold your laptop unless its oddly chunky in one dimension.
4. No CCW area.
5. Good top grab handles.
6. The Tropos is the bigger one. 32L or 34L depending on the iteration (they've changed over the years).
7. The "kickstand" is hard to describe, but easier to see if you watch a youtube video demonstrating it. Essentially it's an internal frame part that expands itself. If there's stuff in your bag, it should "deploy" on its own, but if it doesn't, you can open it yourself. Heavier or bulkier stuff at the bottom, and it's pretty reliable without doing it manually.

The Parsec is newer, and I think only has one "iteration". The Tropos is an older bag, and has changed over the years. Older one has a vertical zipper on the stash pocket. The current one has a couple new changes that are better (organization mostly), but I think the previous version is better because of the way the compression straps are at the top (the old version they're tuckable, the new version they're not and they're attatched to the stash pocket). The Tropos, whatever version, will have stronger fabric than the Parsec. The Radial is kinda a hybrid of the two, as it's a 26L bag but has an expandable section to make it Tropos sized. It is, however, more cyclist oriented than the other two, but that doesn't mean it's a bad choice for EDC (the "shoe compartment", for example, doesn't have to hold muddy cycling shoes). All 3 have Osprey's famous "Airspeed" back.

View attachment 2360960
Thank you for taking so much time to put together this response! I updated the laptop section based on your suggestion. I think out of the 3, the Osprey looks great! The vanquest, maybe not even meaning to, looks tactical. Maybe just the blacked out versions. The Osprey looks pretty Ideal. I am going to check out some reviews. Thanks so much!

I own a blackhawk 3 day pack, its been all over the place with me, had it fore now, its a grate pack.

Thank you for taking so much time to put together this response! I updated the laptop section based on your suggestion. I think out of the 3, the Osprey looks great! The vanquest, maybe not even meaning to, looks tactical. Maybe just the blacked out versions. The Osprey looks pretty Ideal. I am going to check out some reviews. Thanks so much!

The Vanquest is definitely a "tactical" bag, although perhaps not overtly as much as others. They're currently on the 3rd version of the Tridents, and believe it or not, they've toned down the tactical look (smaller molle areas). But yeah, definitely not low-key business or school bags. That's why I put silly, nerdy patches on them rather than "HSLD operator" stuff (since I'm definitely the former, and not the latter).

Vanquest does have a more "urban" pack, the Addax, but it might not quite fit what you're looking for. It looks like it might stand up if you pack it right (pictures and video show it staying vertical), given its shape and stiffness of construction, but possibly not as reliably as you want. It does have dedicated water bottle holders, but they're internal. I don't own one so I can't speak for it. I like the company a lot though.

The Tropos has become my "summer" EDC bag because of the lighter weight and the airspeed back. Your laptop will fit easily. Having a laptop compartment it's obviously designed for city use, but it's also designed for adventuring (the Airspeed back is common on their hiking/camping packs). It also has a port at the top for a hydration bladder tube. The port feeds into the laptop compartment, but you can actually snake the tube through an opening on either side of the main compartment and keep the bladder there (and your laptop in the laptop compartment - if you're brave?).

Regarding the older Tropos 34 vs the new 32, here are the specific differences I can spot:
The newer one has a slightly wider waist strap. Note that this isn't really a belt to bear the load, but to stabilize the pack from moving side-to-side. I removed mine.
The newer one appears to have thinner shoulder straps. Can't be sure though, but they appear to be the thinner type used on some of their lighter packs - less padding but more breatheable.
Newer one has a bit better "admin" organization.
Older one has hydration port - I honestly can't find anything one way or the other if the newer one does or not.
As mentioned in my previous post, the older one's top compression straps are tuckable/hideable. New one they're not only not tuckable, they're attatched to the stash pocket, so you literally have to unlatch them every time you want to unzip the main compartment. Huge flaw, in my opinion.
The older 34 is obviously slightly bigger than the newer 32.

If you're very interested in the Osprey Tropos, I could actually do you a deal on an all-black 34 of the previous generation (I have my old used one or a brand new one). Not because I don't like the pack, but because I like it so much that I bought 2 more (yes, I have 4) in a color combination I prefer.

The Vanquest is definitely a "tactical" bag, although perhaps not overtly as much as others. They're currently on the 3rd version of the Tridents, and believe it or not, they've toned down the tactical look (smaller molle areas). But yeah, definitely not low-key business or school bags. That's why I put silly, nerdy patches on them rather than "HSLD operator" stuff (since I'm definitely the former, and not the latter).

Vanquest does have a more "urban" pack, the Addax, but it might not quite fit what you're looking for. It looks like it might stand up if you pack it right (pictures and video show it staying vertical), given its shape and stiffness of construction, but possibly not as reliably as you want. It does have dedicated water bottle holders, but they're internal. I don't own one so I can't speak for it. I like the company a lot though.

The Tropos has become my "summer" EDC bag because of the lighter weight and the airspeed back. Your laptop will fit easily. Having a laptop compartment it's obviously designed for city use, but it's also designed for adventuring (the Airspeed back is common on their hiking/camping packs). It also has a port at the top for a hydration bladder tube. The port feeds into the laptop compartment, but you can actually snake the tube through an opening on either side of the main compartment and keep the bladder there (and your laptop in the laptop compartment - if you're brave?).

Regarding the older Tropos 34 vs the new 32, here are the specific differences I can spot:
The newer one has a slightly wider waist strap. Note that this isn't really a belt to bear the load, but to stabilize the pack from moving side-to-side. I removed mine.
The newer one appears to have thinner shoulder straps. Can't be sure though, but they appear to be the thinner type used on some of their lighter packs - less padding but more breatheable.
Newer one has a bit better "admin" organization.
Older one has hydration port - I honestly can't find anything one way or the other if the newer one does or not.
As mentioned in my previous post, the older one's top compression straps are tuckable/hideable. New one they're not only not tuckable, they're attatched to the stash pocket, so you literally have to unlatch them every time you want to unzip the main compartment. Huge flaw, in my opinion.
The older 34 is obviously slightly bigger than the newer 32.

If you're very interested in the Osprey Tropos, I could actually do you a deal on an all-black 34 of the previous generation (I have my old used one or a brand new one). Not because I don't like the pack, but because I like it so much that I bought 2 more (yes, I have 4) in a color combination I prefer.
I have two 5.11 Rushes up for Sale/Trade in the gear section. I have had a dozen or more trade offers, just trying to decide what I want. Right now my top two are the Vertx Gamut and now the Osprey. I like the sound of the 32, ad I don't plan on using it for the outdoors. I have hiking packs already.

I have two 5.11 Rushes up for Sale/Trade in the gear section. I have had a dozen or more trade offers, just trying to decide what I want. Right now my top two are the Vertx Gamut and now the Osprey. I like the sound of the 32, ad I don't plan on using it for the outdoors. I have hiking packs already.

I looked long and hard at the Vertx Gamut too. Also some others that I won't bother mentioning because they're absolutely the "tactical" type. I love my Trident 32, but it's a chunk for EDC, and I was worried that the 21 would be to small, so I looked at every ~25L heavy duty pack I could find. My main issue with the Gamut is that it's not designed with a lot of ventilation in mind. No air/sweat channels on the back, and completely enclosed shoulder straps. Great for durability, not so great for riding my bike around in Arizona summers. Otherwise, it looks like a fantastic pack. Very covert on the outside, as tactical as you want it to be on the inside. No idea if it stands on its own though.

Some others along the same line are the 5.11 Covrt18, Maxpedition Entity and Prepared Citizen. Don't know if you've tried those, or whether or not they stand on their own or not.

I looked long and hard at the Vertx Gamut too. Also some others that I won't bother mentioning because they're absolutely the "tactical" type. I love my Trident 32, but it's a chunk for EDC, and I was worried that the 21 would be to small, so I looked at every ~25L heavy duty pack I could find. My main issue with the Gamut is that it's not designed with a lot of ventilation in mind. No air/sweat channels on the back, and completely enclosed shoulder straps. Great for durability, not so great for riding my bike around in Arizona summers. Otherwise, it looks like a fantastic pack. Very covert on the outside, as tactical as you want it to be on the inside. No idea if it stands on its own though.

Some others along the same line are the 5.11 Covrt18, Maxpedition Entity and Prepared Citizen. Don't know if you've tried those, or whether or not they stand on their own or not.
I just had a look at the prepared Citizen and man! That is a solid option.

Check out the Vertx "Ready Pack." Very low-key exterior, but lots of good features on the inside. Seems to fit all of your stated criteria. :thumbsup:

Those airport style carry on backpacks.

And they quite often have features tactical bags don't like rfid blockers and anti theft zips and stuff.

Back