Looking For Mathematical Method For Determining Angle -

Redwolf, Mete explained it perfectly. It is my all time favorite grind in a working knife and in fact that's what they developed it for.

The Scandinavians have some of the most user friendly and attractive (In their own way) knives I know. Sometime when you want to do a little looking, go to Brisa's site and look at the gallery. Some beautiful stuff.

They take their knives very seriously!

mete said:
Scandinavian grind is NOT a chisel grind. It is ground on both sides and is flat ,not hollow ground or convex ground. It does not have a secondary bevel. When you sharpen it you sharpen the whole bevel.I got my first one direct from Norway when I was just a little kid. The scandinavians have been using it successfully for hundreds of years. I've been using them all my life and they are very practical.
No offense, but the few I've had were hollow ground.
I have one now that I estimate is 30-50 years old, san mai blade type, silver on wood mounted sheath, and handle, and ground on a 5-6" wheel.

It's got the makers name on the blade, but I'm not familiar with him/her(?).!:eek:

Mike, I too have heard of the hollow grinds. Eventually the common user would need to secondary bevel it.

RL

mete said:
Roger you need ,of course, trig tables or a calculator with tangent functions.... Tangent of total angle = 2 x ( 1/2 t / B x w ) ..... t = thickness of blade [in this case .182" ] , B=fraction of blade to be beveled [ in this case 1/3 ], and w =blade width [ in this case 1.09" ].......Tan A =2(.091/.3597).....Tan A = .5059....A = 26.83 degrees.

My son the Math wiz can tell you just what Mete said :confused: (going for a phd in it..)said :confused: :rolleyes: :D

yeahup what Tom said. :D

grind it up to the line you draw...........then stop!!!

what do they butter their bread with...in norway? do they use a stick while camping? :grumpy:

Thanks all. Steve, your aptitude for technical problems always amazes me. That is why I effectionately call you the wisard of BF.

Since first posting this thread I have had opportunity to grind several more Scandi's. The solution has more been experience at the belt than math. I still scribe a center line and I still reference an angle indicator but the rest is just feel and sight.

Now, if I can just learn how to grind that Tracker :cool: blade .

RL

rlinger said:
Now, if I can just learn how to grind that Tracker :cool: blade .
RL
it's interesting how many Trackers I get to make sheaths for
I have a Dave Beck in the shop now, the others were a little different,, Knock-off's I guess..the grind is Cool but the saw teeth is Hel! on leather. :D

Dan,

It's the Beck version I am to make. I just got a fantastic picture yesterday with the blade against a grid background marked off in 1/2 inch segments. That will help me a lot determining dimensions. The hook and the self cleaning saw teeth are going to be a trick. I think I have the saw teeth figured out. The hook will be a totally new grind for me. I am anxious to get started but too many other things ahead for the next few days (including the collaboration knife).

RL

rlinger said:
Dan,

It's the Beck version I am to make. I just got a fantastic picture yesterday with the blade against a grid background marked off in 1/2 inch segments. That will help me a lot determining dimensions. The hook and the self cleaning saw teeth are going to be a trick. I think I have the saw teeth figured out. The hook will be a totally new grind for me. I am anxious to get started but too many other things ahead for the next few days (including the collaboration knife).

RL

great
if you need a spine view of the teath or any other let me know I'll shoot you picture... I'll only have it here for a day or two more tops.. :)

this was the first Sheath I made for one
tracker2.jpg

Wonderful work Dan. I can only imagine the difficulty in making a sheath for that knife. I have a pretty decent top view of the saw teeth but anything you can shoot for me will help, especially knowing how good you are with a camera. I thank you. Also a good shot of the handle would help alot too.

Roger

rlinger said:
especially knowing how good you are with a camera.
Roger
you gotsto be talking about another Dan :eek: :confused: :)

Roger you have 6 pictures of the Beck Tracker coming by E-mail about 300KB for the down load.
let me know if you want more.

Back