Recommendation? Looking for size comparisons

ktataragasi

Gold Member
Hello all.

I have a Case Mini Copperlock that I use from time to time as a secondary and have actually been enjoying it more and more. I have a GEC 93 that I enjoy the materials but it's just too large for a secondary.

Can anyone recommend any other traditional knives around the size of the mini copperlock? Pictures would be great if you have a size comparison. Easy to get would also be helpful as I don't quite feel like tracking down a GEC in the current market.

Ones I have been looking at:
Case medium stockman CV
Case sodbuster jr cv
Lionsteel Dom Slim micarta.

I'm pretty new to traditional knives and only really have the 2.

Thank you all for the help.

Case Small Texas Jack
Case Medium Jack
Case Mini Trapper
GEC #15 Bail and Chain (remove the bail)
Boker Single Clip Barlow

I’m in agreement with JohnDF JohnDF on a barlow. Lots of choices of either single or two bladed ones. Don’t know what your budget is but there are plenty out there. For less than $20 I recently purchased a Rough Rider barlow and for the cost it’s a good knife and value. If you want to spend more Case, Boker, and GEC make excellent ones to. Here’s a pic of the RR.
View attachment 1504393

If you’re like the looks of the Dom, then I’ll say you’re looking at a great option. It’s close in size to the mini Copperlock and, depending on the cover material, weighs about the same. The quality is superb, and a Sheepsfoot is extremely handy for general use. I adore mine.
3SEBEuG.jpg

The Sobuster Jr. is another favorite, probably one of the easiest carrying knives I’ve owned. I prefer more of a tip on my knives, but if your primary knife has that then no problem. The great thing about the Sodbuster is that they are inexpensive yet capable of so much, and no fear of putting one to real use.

Or, how about a Lambsfoot
m8wn8Pq.jpg

Case Small Texas Jack
Case Medium Jack
Case Mini Trapper
GEC #15 Bail and Chain (remove the bail)
Boker Single Clip Barlow
Thank you. You have given me some to look into.

I’m in agreement with JohnDF JohnDF on a barlow. Lots of choices of either single or two bladed ones. Don’t know what your budget is but there are plenty out there. For less than $20 I recently purchased a Rough Rider barlow and for the cost it’s a good knife and value. If you want to spend more Case, Boker, and GEC make excellent ones to. Here’s a pic of the RR.
View attachment 1504393
Thank you. I will say that some barlows don't quite look right proportionally to me for some reason. Some seem like they have very stubby blades.

Boker Barlow

Case Barlow

Case Small Texas Jack with matching Medium Stockman

Case Mini Trapper, this one's actually a older Dogleg Jack, but same frame.
The boker barlows are quite beautiful and I may have found a good deal on a c75 steel one.

Here is a Case CV trapper, GEc 15, 66, Albers Cutlery Single Clip, GEC 33, 14, and Case peanut CV.

They are all favorites, but the peanut and trapper are just a bit smaller and larger than I like for a secondary knife.

View attachment 1504396
Great comparison shot. Thank you.

If you’re like the looks of the Dom, then I’ll say you’re looking at a great option. It’s close in size to the mini Copperlock and, depending on the cover material, weighs about the same. The quality is superb, and a Sheepsfoot is extremely handy for general use. I adore mine.
3SEBEuG.jpg

The Sobuster Jr. is another favorite, probably one of the easiest carrying knives I’ve owned. I prefer more of a tip on my knives, but if your primary knife has that then no problem. The great thing about the Sodbuster is that they are inexpensive yet capable of so much, and no fear of putting one to real use.

Or, how about a Lambsfoot
m8wn8Pq.jpg
I'm looking at the slim micarta Dom. The blade profile is so nice!

For some reason the sodbuster jr is calling to me also.

So many nice patterns to choose from. This is going to be tough to not go overboard....

Back