• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Looking for someone to install a nail nick

BKS33

aka Benjamin Highley - flipper
Hi, I’d like to employ someone to put a nail nick on this blade. Maker put it on the inside and I hate the placement. Can’t open the blade without first opening the main.02C6B2AF-F0F7-4B03-A6A4-C7681DB1C0CC.jpeg

I think most (not all) makers cut the nail nick before heat treating the blade. Maybe that is partly to blame for the lack of responses.

I think most (not all) makers cut the nail nick before heat treating the blade. Maybe that is partly to blame for the lack of responses.
I’ve heard it could be done with a dremel, but I’m not confident enough to try that myself.

It can be done post HT with a certain type of grinding wheel. I've done it a few times but don't care for it. Dressing the wheel creates dust that is really bad for precision machines. That said a lot of makers cut them post HT. If that's a custom why not have the maker fix it? No way he/she purposely put the nick on the wrong side.

Back