Looking into buying a high end Katana. Help please

Favorite era in time is feudal Japan. Have always been involved in Martial arts in some fashion. My dad bought me a cold steel katana when I was 18 that I lost in my divorce. I am wanting it to be as traditional as possible and am willing to save up for a quality Katana. Any suggestions?

Why "as traditional as possible"?
Why not just buy traditional? Buy a real one. You would expect to pay around $2500 upwards for something real and antique. $4000 Upwards for quite nice, and the sky is the limit at the upper end.
There are thousands of real Nihonto around. You could even start with a Gendaito (wartime, but fully traditionally made) from about $1500.
Of course I wouldn't recommend using a real Nihonto for martial arts. But for collecting...why not?

I collect knives, but I haven't gotten into Japanese swords. I have long thought about it, but my lack of knowledge (mostly budget lol) holds me back. One of my favorite dealers does knives and Swords. He (jon) is a great guy and primarily deals with Japanese swords. He isn't high pressure or anything, but I would imagine he would be happy to help with sales sure, but info too. Look up onihonto.com. I have no affiliation with him, he actually lives thousands of miles from me. But I have had a bunch of great deals with him. Either way good luck.

Why "as traditional as possible"?
Why not just buy traditional? Buy a real one. You would expect to pay around $2500 upwards for something real and antique. $4000 Upwards for quite nice, and the sky is the limit at the upper end.
There are thousands of real Nihonto around. You could even start with a Gendaito (wartime, but fully traditionally made) from about $1500.
Of course I wouldn't recommend using a real Nihonto for martial arts. But for collecting...why not?

Its not going to be for collecting. It will be used for when I take classes and cutting techniques

there is no advantages to a traditional sword, it is price mainly, if you want a real good one check out Howard Clark, hsts, hanwei, etc i wouldnt bother with tamahagane myself

Best advice I can give is wait till you start taking classes and see and use what others are using and what your instructor recommends. Before you buy anything I would learn proper technique using bokken or an Iado sword so you don't injure yourself or someone else. In Tamegishiri technique is everything. And if you mess up it can cause serious injury. Just my 2 cents

In my opinion the best place to look for a traditional style Katana made out of modern materials is from Paul Chen Hanwei. Search that in google. They make the best swords when it comes to authentic traditional style and feel. They have something for every proce range too.

I suggest you look at Kult of Athena; they have a very large selection at good prices, If nothing else, it will give you a good education in what is available in various price ranges. I also agree with waiting until you are in training and your instructor (sensei) advises you.

howard clark, hanwei , huawei, hsts, (sometimes cheness) musashi is low to mid range, whatever you do stay away from cold steel and ryan sword

Back