M390 810-1401 Contego

Looks great, Sixate :thumbup:
Dang, I want a black one to go with the blue :cool:

I just got mine a few days ago, I'm extremely happy with my purchase as it's my first high end manufactured knife. I'm looking to hopefully get some custom Ti scales and clip/backspacer to pimp out my first purchase. If anyone knows who would be a good candidate for the job send me their info.

Great knife. I just wish I had gotten a blue one instead of the black one I received.

Where I to buy one, I'd prefer the black to the blue - I'm sure there's at least one person out there looking to trade. :thumbup:

Go ahead and order one! If you don't get a mostly black one, there are quite a few on here who prefer the mostly blue and would be happy to trade with you.

I was given the opportunity to buy one with blue scales so I didn't hesitate. I love this knife.

I was given the opportunity to buy one with blue scales so I didn't hesitate. I love this knife.

How much less aggressive is the handle texturing on the Knife Works version? I don't see a great deal of difference in this picture.

How much less aggressive is the handle texturing on the Knife Works version? I don't see a great deal of difference in this picture.

It may be hard to tell by the pics, but the scales on the M390's are very smooth compared to my M4. The M4 scales are really rough and more grippy. Maybe too rough for many, but I like it. The jimping on the M390's also feel less aggressive to me. I think the shape has been smoothed out just a bit.

i really want one i just know its going to be to big to edc for my i carry a rift and a sebenza and don't think i would want anything over a 3.7 blade how do you guys like carrying your and what else do you carry close to its size and is it not toooooo big?

i really want one i just know its going to be to big to edc for my i carry a rift and a sebenza and don't think i would want anything over a 3.7 blade how do you guys like carrying your and what else do you carry close to its size and is it not toooooo big?
It's big, but it's fairly low profile for a knife this size and disappears very well. The blade is only 1/4" - 3/8" longer.

I just got my 810-1401! Was ordered recently on a pre-order, was surprised that it was shipped already, just last Friday. USPS Priority can't be beat. I was interested in the 810 and almost pulled the trigger, but the coated blade had me rethinking when I came across this KW Special. So in the mean time I have been reading some of the reviews and wondering which color I would get, and which did I like better. Well, I got what for me is the best. In the pictures it appears the G10 has the fabric texture, but the flats are actually smooth. Mine is nearly blue, but black in some areas, so I can't help but really like this unknown third color combo. I don't intend to sand the black off to make it all blue on the flat, but appears that is what would happen as I can see the blue layer on the edge. Centering is very good, to perfect, edge is, as expected, and correctable, I like a polished edge. The action is the smoothest out of the box of the 4 BM's I have, although the action of my 610, can't be beat now, that it's broke in. Thanks Roger I Love it!

LOG

Last edited:

I find the size interesting and subjective to your past experience to size. Took me a while to get used to a Spyderco Police model, but once I did, I'm only happy with near to over 4". Police 3 for a while and Military, now a BM 610 Rukus, the 810-1401 Contega, is a great size and sits in the pocket well.

LOG

I have been eyeing this model since it first came to life. Finally pulled the trigger tonight!! I love carrying my 710-3, but have to swap it for something else more than I would like. I do a lot of fishing and have been trying to snag a 710-1 with no luck. This knife should fill my needs very well, plus I love the blade shape! Gonna be hard waiting 3-4 days......

Well it showed up today......... And I love it! What a chunk of steel. This thing is a tank and makes my 710 feel a lot smaller. The only thing that I don't like 100% is the mostly blue color. Was hoping to get a mostly black sample, but I can definitely live with it. I can't wait to start using this thing, and it just so happens that I'm heading to the lake tomorrow. Fit and finish is great: just a tiny, tiny tick of up and down "play" along with no side to side play and the centering is just barely off to the right. It also came very sharp. Very satisfied with this knife!!

Back