Made my first knife

oqRhixo.jpeg
I’ve been lurking around the forums for awhile, but I finally decidedly to jump in and try my hand at making a knife. I feel like it turned out pretty well for my first attempt and wanted to share my thanks for all the wisdom that helped make it possible.

I gotta ask.....whats the steel? How did you make it? Did you enjoy it? Other people will ask more I don't want to say too much.

Shiny spots at the bottom of the edge, burr?

It looks alot like my first 😊. Be proud of your work. It looks good for your first.

Damn good go for your first......Pat on the back!!👌.....
Nice job..👍👍👍

Much better than my first attempt (which I still have not finished, after taking over a year - Im just being lazy and wishy washy on finalizing the wrap for the handle)

I gotta ask.....whats the steel? How did you make it? Did you enjoy it? Other people will ask more I don't want to say too much.

Shiny spots at the bottom of the edge, burr?

It looks alot like my first 😊. Be proud of your work. It looks good for your first.
Thanks! Its 1095. There isn’t a burr I think it’s the way the light was reflecting. I sharpened it with a micro bevel. I’ve used it quite a bit this last week and it seems to be holding its edge well. I’ve been batoning fire wood and cutting cord and rope. No rolled edge and seems to be holding well. I think I got it heat treated pretty well but, I don’t have a way to properly test.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're applying the best test of all ... actual usage. 👍

Nice knife. What is the coating on the blade?

I like handles with a single finger indexing scallop like you've used, which allows orienting the edge by feel alone. Multiple finger scallops can be hand size specific and limit some grip options.

As a personal preference, my hand likes more contouring on the handle so it isn't so slab sided to avoid potential hot spots. Handle size hunks cut from cheap 2x4 or pallet/scrap wood make inexpensive practice material.

Keep up the good work.

Sounds like you're applying the best test of all ... actual usage. 👍

Nice knife. What is the coating on the blade?

I like handles with a single finger indexing scallop like you've used, which allows orienting the edge by feel alone. Multiple finger scallops can be hand size specific and limit some grip options.

As a personal preference, my hand likes more contouring on the handle so it isn't so slab sided to avoid potential hot spots. Handle size hunks cut from cheap 2x4 or pallet/scrap wood make inexpensive practice material.

Keep up the good work.
I used cold bluing on the blade to darken it. Thanks for the handle tip. I’ll likely make some thicker scales I have the wood ones from the picture and I also made a set of micarta scales. I think I’ll make some thicker more contoured ones next. I’m also planning to make a Kydex sheath.

Very nice! If you haven’t already, definitely come check out the Shop Talk forum. Lots of great info there.

It looks like there’s some gaps in between the scales and the tang, though that could be just the picture. The handle also looks a little blocky to my eye, but some people like it like that.

Your bevels look much better than my first knife. Well done! Now you gotta make another ... and another ... and another ... and ...

Welcome to the addiction!

Very nice! If you haven’t already, definitely come check out the Shop Talk forum. Lots of great info there.

It looks like there’s some gaps in between the scales and the tang, though that could be just the picture. The handle also looks a little blocky to my eye, but some people like it like that.

Your bevels look much better than my first knife. Well done! Now you gotta make another ... and another ... and another ... and ...

Welcome to the addiction!
Thanks! The wood scales were just an afternoon project to have something while waiting on the micarta I ordered to arrive.

Back