Madison brand felling axe?

Anyone have any experience with a Madison brand axe? Nothing turned up in the search, so I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

Here's an idea:

John Whorff and Sons Ax Factory
Madison, Maine

21201t2_p2_small.jpg

https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioWhorff.html

Lack of response to an inquiry doesn't mean there's a lack of interest; madison brand obviously doesn't ring very many bells. And Steve Tall is definitely 'the man' when it comes to digging up clues! We need pictures!

Here is what I found on the Madison brand axes. The first axe example shows that the head is made of dropped forged and heat treated steel (Made in in Brazil) and hafted on a genuine American hickory handle.

camping-axe-madison-brand-1-boys-axe_1_57650a693f907e619a04d3cf6b2804da.jpg

The second axe example shows that the head is made of the best quality tool steel, and that it has been heat treated and tempered. It is also hafted on a genuine Tennessee hickory handle.

Other than the images, I could not find any additional information.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Anyone have any experience with a Madison brand axe? Nothing turned up in the search, so I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

I purchased a Madison Boys axe in roughly the same condition as the above image, still had the Made in USA sticker on the head but head was a bit rusty from sitting in a garage for decades. The guy I bought it from told me the company went out of business a long time ago, I live in Lansing, Michigan. If I recall correctly they were made somewhere in this area.

Last edited:
Reactions: A17
Reviving an old thread. Does this brand ring a bell for anyone? Was just given a Madison Brand 1801 axe by my mother who said it belonged to her father in the 70s-80s. Would love some more info on it if anyone knows anything!

Looks like they sourced their heads from Brazil. China, possibly used US made heads, too. Majority are imports stamped with Wear Safety Goggles so fairly new tools

Last edited:
Back