magna

I got to sit down to dinner the other night, there were no sharp knives at the house, so I used a new magna to slice a pork roast. Partly as an experiment and as a useful tool as well. Afterwards my magna needed 5 min. on crock sticks to repair damage to the edge!
I have to say that I thought the magna was a very well made and designed knife., but a boneless pork roast should not damage the edge of a knife of this type. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Would anyone from outdoor edge care to respond?

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

To Fudo:

Can you offer some more detail on what you mean by damage? Did the knife not hold an edge as well as you hoped or was there visible damage to the blade?

We don't claim AUS-8A to be a super steel on the level of BG-42 or CPM 440V however it is a solid performer and one of the most serviceable stainless steels for resharpening.

The Magna has been on the market for six months. We have distributed thousands of this model and yours is the first report we have received of the blade being damaged under regular use.

Kit Carson, the designer of the Magna has been using the production model since it was introduced and is more than pleased with the performance of the steel.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

Fudo,
Beats me. I've cut wire, cardboard, and many other things that I shouldn't have with my Magna. I've sharpened it once in 6 months.

You must have some really tough pork in OK.

Let us know what happened to the edge.

Same here I have used my Magna for just about everything and it is still ticking..........

This was a NIB Magna with the Zytel scales. The edge on the front half of the blade bent over, this, and the point had a bent over part that was tearing up a leather strop I was using to try to touch up the edge. I needed to use crock sticks to bring the edge back. I was disappointed with this, and no one was more surprised than me. The knife was razor sharp right out of the box. BTW the pork roast was very tender, boneless and delicious. I would call this very light usage. This use was the first use of this knife.

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

Sounds to me like "China Plate Syndrome".
No knife edge/steel can stand up to ceramics very well. The ceramic is way harder than any steel.

------------------
My new bumper sticker:

Let me tell you about my SIFU!

a China plate was underneath the roast

------------------

When it first came out I used a brand new Gerber EZ-Out to cut up a small plate size pizza. I could not believe that after only one pizza that the knife was dull, I mean really dull.

You might try one of those "geo-tanto" knives next time you want to cut food over a ceramic plate. If you're careful, only that little secondary point will hit the plate, leaving the rest of the edge sharp.

That's why they make those ninja steak knives, isn't it?
wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Back