Mail Call

I just arrived home (DC, capital of the infidels) from my latest assignment. Waiting for me was a long, skinny package.

In it were a 20" Kobra and a 12" Sirupati, which I picked-up at a very low price thanks to a bunch of Maoists. (I suppose that I should be grateful, but at this point I think we're all hoping that our little-red-book reading comrades will take a Great Leap Forward from some appropriate spot in the Himalayas).

Re: the Kobra, it's fantastic. It carries a crescent moon mark (the moon looks like it's made up of many small dots - Bura?). The fit and finish on the piece are high quality, with the only blemish being a little laha that seems to have seeped above bolster - no skin off my nose. The scabbard matches the blade - it really is beautifully done. My only complaint is that it doesn't hold the chakma securely. I'm sure someone has dealt with this issue on the forum, and I'll see if there's a fix out there.

I think that Bill describes Kobras as the "quickest" khukuris. That's an understatement. This thing screams. Moves. Flies. The funny thing is that this khuk has really increased my appreciation of my first HI purchase (a 20" Sirupati acquired in December of last year). The Kobra definitely lacks the elegant blade-shape of the Sirupati. The Kobra also has an odd butt-plate with three knobs across the surface, rather than the simple stepped butt-plate design of the Sirupati.

Speaking of Sirupatis...the 12"er is a pretty little thing. With the emphasis on "little". I bought it because I was looking for a khuk that would be easy to carry with me on the road. However, after holding it a bit, I find myself agreeing with jim_l_clifton (btw does mentioning his name mean that he'll appear?). Given the fact that my had extends above the bolster on this blade, I don't think it will be of much use to me. Still, it is nice to look at.

S.

Spence -
My choice for a "travelling Khuk" is my 14" villager BAS. It is just heavy enough to do serious social work, and light enough to do it quickly. It fits between the driver's seat and console, and stays put. It dresses up pretty well (not like the HIs) with a 600-grit sanded finish on the blade, and some oil treatment on the handle. A little liquid car wax on the blade and brass tops it off, and you can always say "Oh, that - I collect them".

Wal:

An odd-sized villager hadn't occurred to me. That might be the way to go. Basically, I was looking for a piece that would be a solid defense tool that I could throw in the checked baggage (and could afford to lose).

S.

Spence,
Ahhh! Another man of taste!! 12" :barf:not "BIG" enough to be a K,too big to be a pocketknife! I,being of sound mind(Rusty will not be able to identify, & this will make him flustered!hee!)name ALL 12""WIMPY"!From now on when ordering one from Uncl,just ask for a WIMPY or maybe ARKEY(think that's what Rus named his)!hee!
jim

The 12"ers obviously aren't for the guys with hands like hams.

On the other had they usually are light and fast, and look bigger than **** to the guy not holding one. Sort of like folks miscalibrating the size of the barrel and swearing the 9mm whose barrel they were staring down was a 45.

Far as the handle, they can be pulled and replaced with a longer blind one, epoxied and pinned in place. Besides, the more care you put into it, the more a part of you it becomes.

Rus,
My friend,time to grow up & put the 12"TOYS away,
you are old enough & big enough to handle a MAN'S k( my hands are "not hams"that was a low ,thing to say!hee)!I forgive you!:D
I sinned, I got a 12"(being a rightous man)to see if I could be wrong
in my opinions(wild,wild streach)! No! I was right(as usual), they are ugly, no lines ,too small & "USELESS!HEE!
jim

"just ask for a WIMPY or maybe ARKEY(think that's what Rus named his)hee!"

arkey.jpg

Wimpy? A-R-K-E-Y!!! Why youuuuuu... duck billed platypus! The lady's name is AUDREY!
Tsimi, I don't know who's worse -you or that half-witted polecat paxton!

Back