Maintaining the edge on an alfaknife (convex saber grind).

Just wondering what people have been doing to keep the wicked edge on their Alfa knife. I have been doing a little research and it sounds like since the blade comes so sharp all I will need to do is maintain it with a leather strop... Assuming I don't let it get too dull. Does this sound right? Also, any oil that you would recommend I use when cleaning and storing it. Thanks for the help.

I always use a strop to maintain all of my knives, convex or not.
If I ever let the knife get too dull I will use coarser grit compounds and work my way back to a polish.
If you let your edge get really dull or have some rolling on the edge the sandpaper mouse pad trick, then back to the strop will fix it right up.
A light stropping after each heavy use with fine compound really helps to rarely have to go to the sandpaper route.

If your sharpening by hand some sandpaper and a mouse pad will get you there. Followed by leather strop and compound. I use 120 grit to shape the edge and then follow up with 220grit and 400 grit finishing with green compound and a leather strop.

Of course if you edge needs more help id be happy to touch it up for you just pay the shipping :)

Back