Major Custom Project Announcement

Well, it looks like I got #15.

Whooo Hoooo........ man, I can't wait for this baby to hit my doorstep!

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

No guilt on this echo, guys.

Darrel, So much gratitude in your choice to partake in this project. This IS a biggie, and I for one, am very appreciative of your commitment.......

AL

Darrel, no offense, I think its great you are getting into balis and I'm sure you'll make lots of $$$ as well as learn a lot... but I would rather pay the few extra hundred and get the blade type I want... I hope you impress us all.

First I want to applaud all the efforts taken in this project. In no way is the following supposed to be bashing or insulting in regard to talent quality or ability. But....

I also agree, the Apogee blade style is not to my liking. I just don't care for a reverse curve to the belly of a blade. It makes sharpening with a large flat stone difficult (granted I doubt I would be sharping a Custom Damascus MOP)and I don't like the way they cut. I had one once, and vowed never to get another. I also don't care for the looks. It is a style some find popular, I just don't.

I was looking forward to this "event" from the beginning. Maybe I'm just to traditional. I would pay extra for a hollow ground bowie. I also think a rough satin finish on a blade looks unfinished. I have not seen one of Darrel's in person, maybe the photos do not do justice to his finish. The satin finish on my DT ATS-34 IS nice however.

Damascus with MOP and a polished or fine satin finish Bowie hollow ground.... but since that is not an option, it would have to be a full Damascus, but then I'm stuck with a blade I don't like to look at...

Everything else in the project is VERY positive. I'm at the point that if I spend $1285 and I end up with a knife I don't like the way the blade "looks" .. what's the point? Since I'm not going to "use" it anyway.

Lets face it I'm really buying it for is to "look" at so it needs to make me feel blissful when I look at it, not wishing I had a different blade every time I look at it. ... How many things do I own that disapoint me because of just one little flaw. I don't want another. Damn!

If I could get a different blade I'd get 2. One full Damascus with MOP for show and one TI with Micarta or Ironwood to use.

Maybe I will "settle" and get the plain TI with the 420V and use it as a EDC ....

The blade style I feel is misleading.
When you make a blade with less width I feel it will take on a whole new look.
The wee hawk is my fav blade of all time on the balis.
As for a hand rubbed satin finish that can be arranged. I will talk to Kevin and Chuck to confirm the price. The problem is the 420v.
It is a real job to hand satin finish.
As for hollow grinding well I am a flat grinder. I like the strength of a flat grind much more. Balis have a dropping problem..
from the user. I feel the flat grind will accomadate this problem much better.
Asfor blade shape once again if the blade finish is of concern I will get with Kevin and add the hand rubbed satin. We were trying to keep the price point as low as possible with the field satin finish.

The recurve will be slight at best. It can be removed before final grinding if you want. That is not a big concern. Just tell Kevin at order time.
I feel if you order and have a bit of faith the blade shape will be pleasing and functional.
The bowie style is not a problem . Without a top clip the knife blade may be right in line with what you want. Also the blade may be changable to your likes from the standard blank. I do not laser or Wj cut. I make them here so its not a great deal of extra work if the blade can be modified from the original.

I hope this clears up the extra concerns.
I am considering the stub style that Steve has modified also (latchless).
Any thoughts on the serrated handles?
Need input here from the folks that use the knives..

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

For a user , the serrated handles would be the way to go. I know the insert handles are 'slicker' than the skeleton ones and your flycut or nugget finish would be very secure as a gripping surface........ummm, might have to order two after all....
biggrin.gif

As you can see, there may be more options yet to come as the Gemini design gets finalized. Those options will, of course, only be available to you in the special inauguraual edition if you sign up for a blade. Last I checked, only six are left.

These are very much custom knives. While the basic design is fixed, once you've placed your order many accomodations are possible. Mr. Ralph is both a skilled machinest and bladesmith and also a talented artist.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the sort of "serration" that Steve put on his latchless. A light checkering would be nice, but that sort of heavy serration really chews up sheaths. It can snag clothing too which is not only potentially damaging to the clothing, but could be very unfortunate if it happened at the wrong time. Finally, it could just be the pictures, but Steve's serration looks like it could just be brutal on your hands. I have a custom by Jerry Gene which has similar serrations and it just tears your hands up on finger roles.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

Mr. Ralph,
I know this might be asking a bit much, but would you consider posting some pictures of some Prototypes with similar blades. By doing this you might put some doubts to rest.

Chuck,

I actually agree with you about the thumb ridges. The ones on the open side of my latchless 42 are too deep. They are not so deep that they have cause any discomfort in twirling, but they would definately be painfull if you trained on a dummy with this knife. I wish they were more like the grooves I put in the closed side. Those are not deep enough to snag on anything or cause any discomfort, and they do increase friction enough to be helpful.

If Darrel were to put traction grooves on the knives, I hope they would resemble the ones on the Apogee, which I think look good, and are shallow enough to feel good.

The bottom line with the latchless 42 was that, with the latch removed, it is now a pretty specialized knife, and the thumb grooves do what they are supposed to do. In an actual cut-up, they would add a lot more traction, but wouldn't cause injury because the action wouldn't be repeated enough, hopefully.

Hi guys,

Here is the latest:

Three serial numbers left: 16,22,24

Shortened latchless option now available if desired ($50 upgrade)

True hand rubbed satin finish now available on CPM 420V blades ($75 upgrade)

The last two options came about entirely due to your feedback and desires
smile.gif

Thanks for all the support!

------------------
Kevin Pensinger
The EDGE Equipment
sales@theedgeequipment.com

Contact The EDGE for your custom cutlery needs!

Excellent new additions.

Inasmuchas neither of these two changes effects material ordering, etc., I'd suggest holding off flooding Kevin with change requests right now. Just enter your changes when you update your option elections when the prototypes are presented.

Kevin or Darrel will correct me on this suggestion if they want this information right now. I just don't want poor Kevin to be inundated with changes between now and the prototype presentation.

I suppose if you decide to change insert, handle, or blade material, it'd be a good idea to let Kevin know, but there's no need to be to expedient with that. If you think you want to change, sleep on it a day or two before just dashing off a change to Kevin. Just try to save him a lot of extra work keeping track of everyone's changes.

Remember, nothing becomes final until after you make your second deposit payment, which is still several months away.

Folks, this is it. Just three more numbers are available. If you've been hesitating, now is the time to make your decision. If you're a bit taken aback by the cost, remember that you only need $100 right now to get your number. Then, in a few months, you'll need about $100 more. Then, it'll be at least a few months after that before you'll need $200 more for a basic model. So, it's sort of spread out over time.

I often hear people regret that they didn't buy a Bali-Song Cutlery piece or a Pacific Cutlery piece or that they never got around to ordering an Erickson or Miller custom. Well, don't miss this one.

------------------
Chuck

Originally posted by The Edge Equipment:
Shortened latchless option now available if desired ($50 upgrade)

What does that mean? Shortened? As opposed to a lengthend latchless??

Right... I guess you mean a shortened latchless with closed bottoms as opposed to a balisong with an opened ended channel for a latch. When I saw an option for a latchless I thought it meant shortened latchless, not just the same bali, minus the latch...
frown.gif

Chuck,
Took your advice and jumped on it. Number 22 is mine now
smile.gif

-John-

Are they all gone yet!

Let's get this show on the road.
smile.gif

There will be time to decide when the time comes. Enough of the "what if" business.

Sabo 29
Catch you on the flip side!

It's no "what if." This project is already underway. Mr. Ralph is working on prototypes as we speak. There may be one or two pieces left if you're still interested in ordering.

------------------
Chuck

hew dawkind, what are the names of those knives in your pic? those are some good looking pieces

Back