!!! Major Gemini Announcement !!!

Gollnick

Musical Director
Our friend Darrel Ralph has posted some excellent pictures of his Gemini prototypes as well as some new CAD renderings. There are twenty great photographs of actual Gemini prototypes. Here is the link:

http://www.darrelralph.com/ddr/bali/first.html

Two prototype Gemini pieces are shown. Both have skeleton handles. One is basic. The other has elaborate file work and a nuggeted treatment on the handles. The first is typical of an entry-level Gemini. The second shows considerable optional upgrading. Mr. Ralph hasn't fixed the final pricing on the file work and nuggeting yet, but the extensive treatment show will probably add something on the order of $750 to a Gemini. Again, those prices will be fixed shortly.

There are also several new CAD renderings of insert Geminis. The skeletonized handle design is actually considerably more complicated to make than the insert handles will be (Mr. Ralph told me, "The insert models are a breeze"). So, he's focused on the skeleton design. You can see from the drawings and pictures that the insert model has the same blade and the same basic handle shape as the skeleton design model.

The same unique file work and nugget treatments will be available on insert pieces too. So, inserts are looking good too.

Keep in mind that if you have elected Ti handles with inserts, the same anodization can be applied to the handle before the insert is installed. (I think those marron micarta inserts in blue anodized Ti would look great.)

Very shortly, Mr. Ralph will be sending me the prototypes for final approval and he'll be finalizing the prices on the new options. At that time, he'll ask you to make final selections and bring your deposit up to 50% of total price with our friends at The Edge Equipment, Mr. Ralph's dealer who is handling all of the money.

Right now, you do not need to make any changes with The Edge Equipment. If you think you want to change your selections or consider some of the exciting new options, please hold those requests for just a couple more weeks until we call for the final selections and deposits. This way, we can do it all at once.

The prototypes will be numbered AP1 and AP2 (there may yet be a third proto numbered AP3). At least one of the prototypes will be sold. Considering the number of enthusiastic Darrel Ralph collectors out there, I expect it to bring a considerable price. The exact details of that sale have yet to be determined. Of course, I'll keep you posted so that any of you who might be interested can consider that opportunity.

Those of you who have Geminis on order are doubtlessly interested in a schedule update. As I said, the prototypes will be reviewed in the next couple of weeks. By the first week or so of March, you can expect the call to come for final selections and deposits. Then, you'll have thirty days to make those final selections and bring your deposit up to 50% of the final price. (So, adjust your budgets accordingly.)

Mr. Ralph will shortly begin working on "production" Geminis. The order of delivery will NOT be based on serial number (bummer for me) and will NOT be based on the order in which they were received (again, bummer for me). The order of deliver will be entirely up to Mr. Ralph. He has indicated that it
will be largely determined by the availability of materials and the complexity of each piece.

Remember, these are very much custom balisongs. With these exciting new finish options, with skeleton handles and various insert materials available, Ti and Damascus handles, Stainless or Damascus blades, etc., each Gemini will be very custom and each Gemini owner can be very proud of his unique Gemini balisong.

Each Gemini is handmade entirely by Mr. Ralph. He has no army of assistants and he doesn't contract out major subassemblies or operations. He expects delivery of the 25 numbered pieces to take 12 to 18 months. So, some of you will still have to wait over a year and a half for your Gemini. I'm Sorry. I know that that's tough. But that is the nature of custom knives.

Mr. Ralph is very excited about this project and very eager to work on it. He has assured me that he will do everything except compromise to accelerate the schedule.

By the way, if you'll look back at the original schedule I published, it called for prototypes in January. So, we're only running a few weeks behind. This is absolutely amazing to me. I've never worked with a custom maker who runs anywhere near on-schedule.

Now, some of you who did not get in on the original ordering for Gemini may be wondering if you can still get in on this outstanding project. Well, when the time comes for folks to make their final orders, some may decide to drop out either because their situation has changed or because they just don't like
the knife. In either case, their blades will become available. There is already a short waiting list, but I'd still encourage you to get in touch with The Edge Equipment and get added to that list so that if several spots
do become available, you'll be in line. This is first-come, first-served. So, don't hesitate.

Mr. Ralph has indicated that after Gemini, he intendes to keep making balisongs. So, I think there's an exciting new name in balisongs.

By the way, I'm gonna try to talk Mr. Ralph into letting me take one of the prototypes to The Oregon Knife Collector's Show in April, so you may be able to see one there. Otherwise, I'm certain that he'll have one at the Blade Show in Atlanta in June.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

That is a beauty, Darrel is such a Craftsman.

How much is the base model?

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.

GOOD GOD, DARREL!!! What a fantastic piece of work! How long can a human survive without sleep??? My skin is stretched so tight, after looking at those awesome protos, that I can't even blink!!!
biggrin.gif
I think I'm starting to pass out from blood deprivation to the brain.......... I don't even know if Gollnick is worthy of such a bali!
wink.gif
I know I am; just go ahead and send them to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dawkind (edited 02-14-2001).]

Mr Golnick will have the bali's in a few days for testing and functional upgrades.
After that the high end bali will be for sale
to the highest bidder. I will post more about this later. I will keep the other bali FOR ME!
biggrin.gif

Here are a few pics and the illustrations so
everyone can decide on there configuration.
bal23.jpg

bal45.jpg

Go here for more pics:
http://www.darrelralph.com/ddr/bali/first.html

Once again here are the other illustrations of the Balis (THANKS TO PHIL L FOR THE GREAT JOB)

As you can see the illustrations are very close to the real knives so the inlayed models will be very close to the pics here.

Here they are

Baliall1.jpg

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 02-14-2001).]

Those protos look great; breath taking. They look very well crafted.

I have a semi-stupid question I wanted to get out of the way - I noticed that there were two pins at the base of the balisongs. One is obviously for the latch, but I was wondering if the other, on the safe handle, served any purpose besides for looks.

Boy, I can't wait until pictures of the Geminis with new blade styles and options surface. I'd love to see something in damascus (blade) and mother of pearl (inserts).

Make sure to post pics of your Geminis as soon as you get them! (God knows that the closest I'll ever get to one
smile.gif
).

Damn, that looks VERY nice, I especially like the one in the last picture with blue wave pattern on the blade !!! sweeeeet !!

I would very much like to know the price of these items ?

I'm very poor right now, but later on this year I will have lots of dough to spend... :cool:

------------------
Balisong Sweden

Folks THESE are the proto's
The illustrations above will serve as the look of the other balis.
The blueish blade can be blackish or niter blued bluish.

Kent
The one second from the bottom is the way it will look with damascus and pearl (gold lip)

The second hole is for those who wish to switch the latch to the opposite side.

------------------
MADD MAXX !

Hi folks,

Just back in from the Little Rock show this morning and thus playing catch up a bit - many apologies for that.

In any case Darrel and I have made some more decisions along with Chuck and those of you with orders in will be receiving an email later this evening detailing what comes next.

Darrel has done stunning work on the prototypes. Please remember that a prototype is just that - a chance to look at a knife which will doubtlessly be fine tuned in some ways. In short - your knives will be much better in both form and function than even the prototypes
smile.gif

If you don't recieve your email this evening and you are on the Gemini order list please give me an email or call tomorrow.

For those of you not yet on the list - there are non-serial numbered knife slots available at this time but just a few and they will most likely go very quickly so act now if you wish to receive a Gemini.

------------------
Kevin Pensinger
The EDGE Equipment
sales@theedgeequipment.com

Contact The EDGE for your custom cutlery needs!

>>the extensive treatment show will probably add something on the order of $750

Add to, or bring the price to. I would like to know what it would cost to get just a little bit of fancy file work done. Like the back of the blade and the latch, or maybe just the latch like they do on the Filipino Balisongs.

My wife is already working two jobs, I don't think I will be able to talk her into working a third job so I can get a lot of extras
smile.gif
But you never know! Thanks, JohnR7 www.BalisongKnife.com

I think the Base Model Price on the site is more than fair given the level of Craftsmanship Darrel is capable of.

Man oh Man, Darrel what have you done? Why do I have to keep seeing things that I want?

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.

Oh yeah!!!!
biggrin.gif

And the crowd said filework...and it was good!

Can you say upgrade?

smile.gif

Sabo #2
wink.gif

------------------
"Catch you on the flip side"!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

And to think, he was almost on schedule. Only another year to go until it's my turn. CAN't WAIT --- NEED IBUPROFEN NOW ---- HEAD HURTS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

>>Only another year to go until it's my turn.

Look at it this way. If the entire earth were made up of nothing but grains of sand,
and every 1000 years, you removed one grain, then how long would it take before there was nothing left?
In comparison to that, one year, or even one lifetime is very little.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Rev. 22:13

[This message has been edited by JohnR7 (edited 02-15-2001).]

I'll get my Gemini at bladeauction or exchange forum, and skip the aspirin
smile.gif

Yeah, it might be more expensive then ploking down 50% and waiting for decades.. errr I mean years, but heh.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the real prototypes look *very* nice!

------------------
~Howdy

"Wow, BOB, Wow!" - the Arm
http://www.firewalkwithme.org

[This message has been edited by Cpt. Howdy (edited 02-15-2001).]

I for one cannot wait to see what you'll pay for one at auction or on the exchange. My guess is that it will be a good thing that you don't need those asprin!
wink.gif

Do any of the "twenty-five" have any comments on the final options?

I think the filework on the blade is very good lookin' if you don't plan to flip. Might eat at the forefinger otherwise.

Frankly, the nugget texture on the handles hit me like the Pontiac Aztek..."Didn't quite like it at first but it IS growing on me!
smile.gif

Mr. Chuck!!!! I await your input and thoughts on the proto-type. Would also like to see your prediction on your market watch!

Regards to all!
Sabo 29

------------------
"Catch you on the flip side"!

Sabo
The file work has been "deadend".
If is burr free and I feel it will not dig into your hand.
wink.gif

The high end pictured above will be auctioned
soon.

------------------
MADD MAXX !

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 02-16-2001).]

Back