• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Maker for a Custom Hunter

Leo Greer

Gold Member
Hey y’all. I was considering my next knife purchase, and I strayed over into thinking about buying a custom hunting knife. I know there are lots of great makers out there, but is there anyone you guys would recommend?

I’m looking specifically for someone willing to work thin and hard on V4E, M4, 4V, or potentially MagnaCut, and with whatever handle material. I like real wood, but G10, Micarta, etc, are all materials I’m a fan of.

I’m also scanning the exchange forum for something like what I’m looking for—if y’all know anywhere else I should be looking…

I would suggest you do a little research in the Customs forum. A simple search for "hunters" will probably give you 4-5000 hits. I have knives from several dozen makers on this board and my most used hunting knife is a Loveless pattern I got from WC Davis a dozen years ago (maybe more). I'd also suggest you don't worry about the steel. Find a reliable maker who can do the pattern you want. The odds of you actually wearing out a knife are so low as to be nonsensical.

I am a bit fan of Phillip Patton. He does forging and stock removal, in a variety of steels.

Big Chris and Phil Wilson put out great high hardness super steel slicers.

Phillip Patton... I second this guy!!! Beautiful grinds that are immaculate!!!!
Check out his Instagram page!

I am a bit fan of Phillip Patton. He does forging and stock removal, in a variety of steels.

Big Chris and Phil Wilson put out great high hardness super steel slicers.
I’ll check out Phillip Patton!

Back