Making a pouch sheath - Apprentice Thread.

Hey guys.

This has been an amazing thread. We've got to keep it alive! Here is what I did today:

(Although I love my wife and she is my best friend, I admit it's driving me nuts being stuck in the house all day. And it's 50° out right now!!)

I won't try to bore you with step by step explanations of each picture, but long story short- this is a sheath blank I got from Skyler that I had not finished in months. My newly acquired Recluse was swimming in it so I decided to trim and modify the design. I am still a rookie and I wish I had the skills of Jason, Rick, Herb and Bud. They make it look easy.

This thing is so dull it's embarrassing......

In the end, it sits a little deeper than I had hoped. But it will still get plenty of use. :)

Who is next to give it a try??

Very nicely done. This is an amazing thread that Tal put together. Your Recluse looks happier already.

Very nicely done. This is an amazing thread that Tal put together. Your Recluse looks happier already.

Thanks, I think the knife is happier.

Very nice work Brian! That sheath looks great!

Thank you. Now I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get out and use it.

Man, that looks good to me. Looks clean with a nice fit. Nicely done sir.

It's not too bad, thanks.

Very well done! Can't see a thing that should have been done differently or better.

LOL! It's full of mistakes and I still cannt get my stitching to look as clean as I'd like it to be. But thanks for the comment. I really enjoy this thread and all the contributions by the leather makers.

tdtR0dk.jpg

naF2gWS.jpg

YR8rtFd.jpg

I've been so inspired by the KPH, I'm taking up sheath making in an attempt to show off it's curves. This is my first attempt to hug the blade and test some new skills. I'm finding that working with leather on this scale to be very satisfying. The final iteration will be more like pajamas than pants. My goal is a simple strap closure around the pinch of the handle with a belt loop.

Last edited:
Whats the biggest blade that can be carried comfortably in a dangler style sheath? Has anyone tried carrying the camp knife with a dangler sheath?

Whats the biggest blade that can be carried comfortably in a dangler style sheath? Has anyone tried carrying the camp knife with a dangler sheath?

Jou'Fuu made this for one of Allen's Great White Buffalos.
A little longer than the Camp.
I'm 6'1", very comfortable and a little conspicuous ;)

fygv8Es.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I think the knife is happier.

Thank you. Now I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get out and use it.

It's not too bad, thanks.

LOL! It's full of mistakes and I still cannt get my stitching to look as clean as I'd like it to be. But thanks for the comment. I really enjoy this thread and all the contributions by the leather makers.

Your stitching looks great. At least when someone looks at it they can see the craftsmanship in the item.

Attempt Number 2. I decided to try the pouch sheath this time and I made one for my Bushcrafter. Different process, but some things went a little smoother this time just because I already done it once. Still not perfect, and I think some of that will be easier with better leather. I just bought the Tandy on sale stuff and it pretty rough. It will be fun to make a few more for my family members. My wife has actually started one for her Arete. Here is #2:

With #1
_DSC1190.JPG

_DSC1191.JPG

_DSC1192.JPG

_DSC1200.JPG

_DSC1202.JPG

Also, while I was shopping online for the things I needed to make sheaths, I came across a place that makes custom stamps for $40. I had the emblem we use on our family ranch gates made into a stamp and it has a nice spot for initials so I can personalize each one I make. Getting the little 1/8" letters straight is damn near impossible, but I don't think those getting free sheaths will care much.

_DSC1193.JPG

Please send me the info for the custom stamps. KG4ULR@outlook.com - Thanx

Danglers work well for larger knives. Some people like to add a thigh tie down option for the really bigger ones. Here's one done for a Camp knife.
CAMP KNIFE AND DANGLER.jpg

Another option for longer blades is a drop belt loop. This puts the longer blade lower making the draw easier and keeps the knife/sheath from swinging during carry.
DSC00361.jpg

I use a dangler on nearly every knife I own. It is merely a matter of preference for me. Also - I love having the option of wearing a pack with my blade being accessable. Although - when I am hiking quickly a knife bouncing off your leg can get old in a hurry.

Again - for me it is simple a matter of comfort and what I like. I don't think it provides or takes away any performance.

TF

Here is a sheath I made for the axe I forged during David Tuthill's class. It was my first time trying to use snaps and rivets. After making this one I realized I need to go back and re watch the videos. There was a lot I forgot. I modeled it after the sheath that came with my Gransfors Bruk small forest axe. The piece of leather I used for the strap was not great as you can see in the picture. Overall it works pretty good. I couldn't have done without everything I learned in this thread. Thanks again Tal!

370CE4CB-72E5-4C77-A86E-E92F1D7B7473_zpsfafog3vo.jpg

AA3B8073-C4D6-4773-80F5-A88EDD1C0FB9_zpscf5wqfhn.jpg

47EB22E7-AEA2-4971-8244-D11ED75CAD4F_zpskmcgrn3w.jpg

F02AF985-397D-46B4-8B83-FDDB3962B161_zpsmipy99zk.jpg

Back