Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I must have missed something in elementary school geometry. Looks round to me. Even if slightly oval, it looks like Spyderco's intellectual property. Probably legal, but still a round hole.

"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose / By Any Other Name would smell as sweet."

Spyderco did not invent the hole....... spydey hole yes... but not the hole.

Last edited:
Spyderco did not invent the hole....... spydey hole yes... but not the hole.

I think Spydeco had a patent on the round hole opener and now a trademark. The manly hole is clearly a takeoff but just enough off a full circle to be legal.

I think Spydeco had a patent on the round hole opener and now a trademark. The manly hole is clearly a takeoff but just enough off a full circle to be legal.
On their new peak models, they made the hole more oval than older ones. For what it's worth.

Just got the City knife today from a fellow forum member that tried it out for a spell. I'm liking this a lot, plus I believe it is one of the first models that includes a lanyard hole ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

S90v blade, clip is deep pocket carry and for those that did not want to carry a knife with the word Manly on it, they did not add that onto this folder. You will see the Manly family/company emblem on the clip and blade, the steel and on the lock bar the name City.

Nice addition to their lineup and waspy thin blade, very very slicey !
G2

Last edited:
At almost 120,000 views and nearly 600 replies, this thread ranks in the top 5 for knife reviews in both views and replies, that is quite a lot of interest of Bulgarian blades :) speaking of which, I just got in a new to me Manly Peak in S90v steel and quite the slicer she be.

I don't know if there are many dealers lately for these knives, but from the interests shown and the knives they make, you would think there should be several.

G2
Hey Gary I’m considering picking up this exact knife. I was wondering what your thoughts were on it. Cheers!

It's a cutter, those guys grind their blades down fairly thin, it's been a while since I had that one, like a lot of my old collection, but I remember it as a very nice knife.
Some folks gave grief about the hole being like another mfg, it was intentionally made oval so it's not a circle, but that's hard not to make the comparison. I don't know if these are in production any longer?
G2

Regarding the opening hole of the Peak, I believe they communicated an agreement with a representative of Spyderco, and this oval shape was the end result. Initial prototypes had a round hole, but those were just that, early prototypes.

Currently Manly is under the Bocker's umbrella, they control the sales outside Bulgaria.
I don't think Bocker will resell a knife with issue about the hole, especially considering issue with company like Spyderco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back