Matriarch

civgssc.jpg

This is the picture (thanks to KCI) I posted at the other thread. Its a G-10 Civilian. The Matriarch has the Endura98 handle and a small Civilian-like blade to fit the Endura98 handle.

Heyns will be posting a scan of the actual Matriarch anytime soon...

Sal -- as the Blue BF Native will come out between $40-$75, any costimate for the Gray BF Matriarch?

FINALLY!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I've got the photos of the Matriarch. Well, I MUST be mad, because I had to drive 143km to take the pics, but I suppose I DID promise you fellow forumites that I'd post them...
wink.gif
wink.gif

Just one problem, BF will only accept LINKS to pictures on websites (not the actual pictures themselves), and I don't have a website where I can post the pics.
frown.gif
Can anyone possibly help?

In the meantime, you are free to EMAIL me at "heynsv@liw.denel.co.za" if you would like to receive the pics via EMAIL... Maybe I should start a new thread for the pics (when they can eventually be posted)?

Please keep in mind that I will be away from 16 April for about 8 to 10 weeks
frown.gif
, (this EMAIL account will only sporadically be serviced), so PLEASE act quickly in your EMAIL replies!

Phew. If the amount of responses that I've received on the Matriarch Pics EMAIL offer is anything to go on, I'd reckon Sal's going to make a FORTUNE with this model!!
biggrin.gif
Any new EMAIL requests for the pics might take a while from now on, as I'm leaving in about 15 minutes' time. Rather keep an eye on the thread, as numerous forumites offered to post links to the pics here on BF (with maybe a small pic or two on BF itself, as an appetiser...)
wink.gif
smile.gif

I'll try to get a web connection early next week, if anyone has questions. The EMAIL account will only be serviced once every two or three weeks, though (for the next 10 weeks)
frown.gif
frown.gif

I got another one up in the same "Pictures of the Matriarch" thread. Plain-edged proptotype. Naturally, now I want both. More pocketses! We wants more pocketses for our shiny sharp objectssssss!

The Civilian, by the way, is a tip-down folder, while the Matriarch is, like the Endura, tip-up. Now, in our quest for ever more SKU's, how about a Delica-size version of the Matriarch - the Handmaid?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

That plain edged prototype has me wondering. I originally was thinking of the Matriarch as a backup for my Civilian, with only ocassional carry. After seeing the prototype, I'm wondering if the "scare factor" isn't low enough to use it for light daily utility stuff. I like the look, but prefer to be somewhat discreet in using anything bigger than a small SAK.

Any thoughts from other forumites?

Sal, you're the man when it comes to recommended/intended use of your products. What do you think?

Bob - We're not sure we know the anwer. We will be shipping the model to our Distributor in South Africa and perhaps Israel. We'll know more in 6 months. Then we'll decide which direcion to try. They are very responsible and caring humans. They will have valuable opinions. I'm sure we'll learn a lot about this question from the forumites.

Autos and Butterflys are in fact against the law and discovery of same, even by accident, from those trying to "uphold the law" will probably ruin your day. We believe that "responsible" is the key here.
sal

Sal -- to make the BF Matriach more Civilian-like, would it be possible to replace the Endura 98 handle with the Rescue's (the profile of which is also similar to the Military)?

c14_tn.gif

------------------
remember, we all have a point!

Titan - Probably could've back then, already tooled for the Endura handle. The choil in the Rescue would change blade shape and size. The original request from Ramrod in South Africa was for an Endura handle.
sal

Bob,

I'm excited about the Matriarch because I see it as an economy-Civilian. Meaning, I'm not as hesitant to carry it. I tend to carry knives more comfortably if I know they are not so pricey at my income level.

As far as the 'scare factor' goes, I think most non-knifers will see any hawkbill/claw/talon bladed knife as fierce no matter what.

I personally carry a g-10 Harpy to work for the sake of company rules, and no one has noticed I carry it or use it there. I think most of us are responsible enough to keep our tools low-key in the right envoronments, and therefore no problem.
Just my spin on this.

Ken

Why is the Matriarch being tested in South Africa? Did Ramrod request it? I like the design a lot more than the Civilian which always seemed a little fragile looking in the tip area. I think someone also suggested a version with serrations towards the tip and plain edge towards the handle (say 50/50 or 60/40). This makes a lot of sense to me. Serrations for cuttin line and cardboard and the plain half for shaving wood or trimming the edges on things like tubing or PVC.

Paul - Yes, it was a Ramrod request. I think we'll play the "teeth" game little by little. The Civilian is single purpose. No carbdborad please.
sal

I still would prefer a plain edge. I hate serrations! LOL Like I would really use it anyway rite? Ok so I would heh. Love to shock my co-workers
smile.gif

Regards,

Tom Carey

------------------
Check out the fine work of
Stephen Burrows now on CGA Online.

www.anova.org/cga/

The non-serrated Matriarch would make a great electricians knife. Spyderco's serrations are too hard to control and end up nicking or severing wires.

Back