Photos Mattock. Let's see what you have

I have a few mattocks that need handles, I am wondering if I can find one that feels good on a shortened handle...good for the garden and landscape work as I am usually already on my hands and knees.

Maybe one of the smaller, slightly lighter Japanese makes I have would work best for that.

I like the army pick size for garden work and habitat restoration work. I'm already on my knees when I use it. It's not so much for breaking ground as it is loosening the roots of a potted plant I'm putting in the ground. It's perfect for that and added ground breaking ability is a bonus.
It's also very handy at camp for leveling a tent site - popping out a rock. I like my sleep when I'm camping.

I have a few mattocks that need handles, I am wondering if I can find one that feels good on a shortened handle...good for the garden and landscape work as I am usually already on my hands and knees.

Maybe one of the smaller, slightly lighter Japanese makes I have would work best for that.
Easy Digging carries a light 3lb Tramontina model. I love mine, though it's on an extra-long handle. It'd work great on a short one, though.

I just ran across this thread ... I don't have any pictures ... but I'm actually a bit surprised at how many do ...most people I mention a mattock around look at me like I just asked about Andy Griffith on Matlock ...

Nice to see other appreciate how handle of a tool they are.

Interesting how different companies marked the GI pick axe in different places. I imagine the Government was more concerned with getting them made and issued, than where they were marked. John

...most people I mention a mattock around look at me like I just asked about Andy Griffith on Matlock ...

Nice to see other appreciate how handle of a tool they are.

I agree and same here. I thought you were about to reference Mayberry or Opie from The Andy Griffith Show:)

When I mention or ask about a mattock, this is the most typical response I get..."Oh, you mean the pick axe":cool:

Easy Digging carries a light 3lb Tramontina model. I love mine, though it's on an extra-long handle. It'd work great on a short one, though.

3lbs... seems like I have seen some newer Ludell marked at 3lbs with smaller features.

I think i will weigh some mattock heads today and see what/if I have one close to the 3lb mark.

Thanks 44 for the weight reference

The wrench company. You've seen Diamalloy adjustable wrenches?

I guess they originally made horse shoes.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/diamond-calk-horseshoe.html#diamalloy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Calk_Horseshoe_Company

I have seen and used those wrenches:thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a great story and history. Otto the Horsehoe maker with anti slip his shoes and the family eventually sells where it ends up with Cooper Tools.
That's where and who Nicholson Files ended up with near about the same time I believe.
...now I want to find out what happened to Cooper Tools;)

Thanks for The link, I love the backstory for sure!

Not sure how many I have now but 3 more this weekend and my first True Temper

20190113-103639.jpg

20190113-103741.jpg

Looks barely used from the hardware store rack. Thinking it was purchased for that one root ball:cool:

Owner found out how much work it is and never used it again. lol :D

:D:DSounds about right :thumbsup:
Threw it in the back of the garage or shed and swore it off, probably with a choice swear or two!
Seems like I have a dozen of those cast away beauties:cool: some more used and prettier than others...I feel a family photo update may be required soon;)

Back