Maxace Black Mirror 2 - Skiffs

Has anyone installed Skiff bearings into a Maxine Black Mirror 2? Skiff's compatibility chart says their bearings have an O.D that's 2mm smaller than the factory bearings (everything else matches), but I'm not sure if that will matter or not. Any advice?

Maxace and Skiff both use grade 5 silicon nitride balls, so the Skiffs probably won't be an improvement. If you want to improve the action a tiny bit, you can mod the existing bearings by popping all of the silicon nitride balls out of the factory bearing cage, and replace them with commonly available grade 5 ZrO2 white ceramic balls. Their sphericity isn't any better than factory or Skiff, but the ZrO2 balls have a lower surface roughness. I've done this mod to two Maxace framelocks and the action is slightly smoother, but I don't know if it's a particularly meaningful difference.

The best thing to smooth out the action is to open and close the knife until the detent ball wears a good track into the surface finish on the tang. That's where most of the 'feel' of the action comes from, not the pivot bearings.

Maxace and Skiff both use grade 5 silicon nitride balls, so the Skiffs probably won't be an improvement. If you want to improve the action a tiny bit, you can mod the existing bearings by popping all of the silicon nitride balls out of the factory bearing cage, and replace them with commonly available grade 5 ZrO2 white ceramic balls. Their sphericity isn't any better than factory or Skiff, but the ZrO2 balls have a lower surface roughness. I've done this mod to two Maxace framelocks and the action is slightly smoother, but I don't know if it's a particularly meaningful difference.

The best thing to smooth out the action is to open and close the knife until the detent ball wears a good track into the surface finish on the tang. That's where most of the 'feel' of the action comes from, not the pivot bearings.
Any measurable way to quantify this or simply your experience? I did this to a shiro, and it made it worse, so im trying to figure out.. well, why it didnt work for me

I ended up swapping to Skiffs a few days after I posted this. I'm just seeing your response today. For some reason, I was never notified of your reply. To touch on your comment about the stock bearings in MaxAce: I removed the existing bearings from the knife. It was using a teflon framed bearing with (8) black bearing balls in it. I couldn't pretend to know if they were ceramic or not. Without reading your reply and not knowing any information about the existing bearings in the Black Mirror 2, but when I removed them, they honesty looked like a very standard pair of cheaper bearings. Really similar to ones you would see in a Civivi or CJRB model. The Skiff bearings, strictly from appearance, seem to be a huge upgrade. The Skiffs had 12 or 16 balls if I remember correctly.
As far as the action.. it was a very small improvement, like you mentioned. Slightly "smoother" I guess. The stock bearings/action had a rougher feel to it for sure. But cleaning the knife may have helped that. It definitely has a smooth, hydraulic action to it, but I'm not sure it's a whole lot better than the stock bearings would have been if I cleaned them off from factory. One thing I can say is that you can visibly see the Skiff bearings when you're looking down on the closed knife. Looks pretty cool. They're a gold, copper, metallic color that looks nice. The stock bearings were thinner and not visible when closed.
But your description is spot on. Very slight improvement, if any. Most of this "improvement" might be in my head, honestly. But I'm not upset that I switched to Skiffs. I would recommend it if you had $20 burning a hole in your pocket.

Any measurable way to quantify this or simply your experience? I did this to a shiro, and it made it worse, so im trying to figure out.. well, why it didnt work for me
I replied my experience below if that helps. I ended up swapping to Skiffs before I had a chance to read HP's reply.

I replied my experience below if that helps. I ended up swapping to Skiffs before I had a chance to read HP's reply.
The Skiffs were almost twice as thick as the stock bearings I removed. Just throwing ideas out there, but Shiro's are manufactured with really tight tolerances. I wonder if the thickness in the Skiffs has something to do with worsening the action? It may not be fitting back together "properly" after you installed the Skiffs.

The Skiffs were almost twice as thick as the stock bearings I removed. Just throwing ideas out there, but Shiro's are manufactured with really tight tolerances. I wonder if the thickness in the Skiffs has something to do with worsening the action? It may not be fitting back together "properly" after you installed the Skiffs.

Back