Metal detecting axes

I Found another axe head metal detecting a freshly Mulched cornfield last week.
i decided to leave the black oxcide and get rid of the red rust. I want that BA buckin billey ray style axe head. But i knew i wouldnt be able to find a makers mark if i didnt that. I figured someone else later on down the line could shave the black oxcide off if they want to find out what it was.
so i am cleaning it up and then i see this
it says woodslasher!
Its part of the kelli axe pre 60s because it doesnt have the ridges in the eye.

Its a 2.2lbs boys axe from a rural south alabama 125acre corn field.
https://i.imgur.com/7COLkBv.jpeg
its almost ready to hang and sharpen.

That is a neat find! I have found a couple of old knives and other tools in the woods but never an axe.

This is my 3rd axe. I am always super excited to find them. More than knives. I have found really old barlow knives and others but i cant date them.

Cool find.
By the early 60's Wood Slasher's were no longer stamped and the cheeks became pretty flat on them also.
I can't put an exact date on them changes but that one predates that stuff.

We pick up a couple every year during planting. Most times the eyes are partially rusted through or dinged terribly by a disc.

When we are planting rice it’s on dry flat ground ant they are typically partially exposed.
If they are really gone we will toss em but I’ve got more than a handful of heads and wedges that we’ve found.

172CF91C-303D-45B0-93EB-3AE7DA2710F8.jpeg
I believe these last two are wrought iron you can see the grain and how 1 was wrapped and I can only assume the other eye was drifted. The vinegar soak revealed how much hardened bit is left in them.
3464DEE5-DAE7-4C8B-8801-ED6B81667D3C.jpeg
11A5BD2D-7B58-474C-BD9D-82DEFB148164.jpeg

When we are planting rice it’s on dry flat ground ant they are typically partially exposed.
If they are really gone we will toss em but I’ve got more than a handful of heads and wedges that we’ve found.

View attachment 2483564
I believe these last two are wrought iron you can see the grain and how 1 was wrapped and I can only assume the other eye was drifted. The vinegar soak revealed how much hardened bit is left in them.
View attachment 2483565
View attachment 2483566
I just got caught up on your threads. Very cool my friend. I learned a few things. Ive used vinager on an old 1890s axe head i found detecting in tennessee. Its wrought iron wrapped as well. Do you not metal detect your fields? Id be alll over them. I just got permission from the farmer after 5 years to hunt deer hogs and metalndetecting it. And its all untouched.

Last edited:
No one in the family metal detects and I can only imagine how many hits you would get from broken bolts, chain, springs and other things you don’t want. We have had guests come out on a few places that were previously old plantations.

623D3CD6-BDAE-4872-BC09-09331240CD2E.jpeg

No one in the family metal detects and I can only imagine how many hits you would get from broken bolts, chain, springs and other things you don’t want. We have had guests come out on a few places that were previously old plantations.

View attachment 2484705
Two bucks a day was probably a pretty good wage in 1871, that loss might have been felt.

Back