Metal stamp question??

I bought a 1/2" blade stamp from riveside machine. On his website they sell a stampmaster that will let you hit the stamp as many times as you want to get a nice clear image. After looking at the stampmaster, I was on grizzly's website and they had an arbor press and it said it was for stamping, among other things. Is this basically the same machine?, or what other ways can you get a nice clear stamp and keep the stamp in place, Also has anyone tried using a press to press the stamp in the Metal. Sorry for so many questions, just kinda new at this stuff. Thanks for all the help.

There are many ways of doing this, any of which will work. I don't remember what the holder from Riverside looks like but an arbor press is used by a number of folks. You have to mill a slot in the press bar to hold the stamp, then that bar is hit with a hammer to make the impression. I cobbled a holder together out of scrap parts for my own use. The guides are adjustable to accomodate stamps of different widths, which is a good thing. You definately want to use a support of some kind, otherwise you'll flinch every time you swing that four pound hammer at your fingers and your impression won't be even. :D

A cheap or homemade arbor press (bottle jack) will work fine.Make a holder for the stamp and crank it down.Sort of like one blow with a 4000 pound hammer.

Back