Micarta SAK Scales

This very same thing has been a project in my basement for soon to be one year. This inspires me a lot. Is micarta severely harder to work with than wood. I ask because the micarta in the basement is the first I ever bought. I have worked with wood and stag before.

Bosse

This very same thing has been a project in my basement for soon to be one year. This inspires me a lot. Is micarta severely harder to work with than wood.

Yes. Micarta is absolutely nasty. You definitely want to work with it outdoors. The Micarta dust is terrible stuff, and requires that a respirator mask be worn. You definitely don't want that foul awful dust in your house.

Another project I'm working on. Orange G-10 scales, with an upgraded G-10 toothpick. It still needs a bit more work, before I'm ready to epoxy.

Picture098.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture097.jpg

:eek: Dang, I just discovered this thread. Great work and pics Buzzbait :thumbup:
Also nice idea for a G10 toothpick.

Oh no...I think you've just made a new SAK niche-industry. Now everyone is going to want G10 toothpicks! :eek:

That micarta just looks so amazing! Is there anyone who is doing this as a service at this point? I would love to get a few of mine rescaled in micarta but dont know who to ask. I tried SOSAK and those guys arent taking on mod jobs right now so any help/direction would be apreciated.

PS: Did I mention great job on the rescale!

Sorry. I just make the occasional one for myself. Working with Micarta is just too nasty to do on a regular basis.

Buzz, you inspired me to have a go at this!

Here's the first set of scales I made for a Victorinox Waiter in natural G10:

SAK_1_3.JPG

The natural G10 looks good, but I couldn't find any thinner than the 6mm you see here. It doesn't look right on such a slim knife. I did find some 4mm orange G10. Here's the 2nd set I made:

SAK_2_1.jpg

I'm thinking about doing the tweezer & toothpick slots using a dremel router table, but I'd need to make a jig to hold the scales first - the slots aren't parallel to either edge of the scales.

There are a few more snaps in the original British Blades Forum Post.

Great work with the rescaling projects guys!
Very inspiring :) Especially the green micarta one and the natural G10 are awesome.

Inspiring,now I want to give it a try.
All the material choices are great,but the orange G10 makes sense for an outdoor/camping knife.
Love the toothpick Buzzbait.

Very, very nice job. I've been wanting to put some nice custom scales on my new recruit.
Victorinox should make some with g10 or micarta. They would still be cheap enough for the average collector, and they would be a hell of a lot nicer than the current plastic or alox.

Back