Micro Bawanna Bowie Folder concept.

so funny how enormous it is-- also I would love to see the look on someones face when you snap that big bastard out-- gotta agree with phil, that is a great snap!

true awesome work ndog

Great job Ndog - top notch work done on that folder - I mean beyond super, almost unbelieveable.

Here my spider sense was goin' off big time, so's I wander over this way and HOLY CRAP!! looked like a 10 foot alligator lunged at me when I saw that video!!...either that or Bawanna's dentures fell out again. Kamidog, I bow before your awesome creation.

Dentures? Bout the only part of me that's real is me teeth, course I only got 6 on top. Only missing one or two bottom.

I kind of look forward to false choppers, not the wooden ones like George Washington had but some of them new fangled ones that look like real teeth, tupperware of some sort.

Nicely done kamidog, that thing is beastly. Might have to have Wildman or Pugs sew ya some leather pockets in your britches to make sure it don't just go right on through.

Haven't addressed a clip yet neither but baby steps baby, baby steps.

Ha! Thanks all! Dont know bout the clip yet? Might need a holster for it:D Me and clips just never got along well. If it aint tied on or in my pocket ill loose it. Well at least if this one falls out of my pocket ill probably hear it.
Bawanna- I got my grip screws and bushings in today. I ordered the wrong tap. Didnt pay much attention as usual and got the screw tap (.150-60) instead of the bushing tap (.236-60). I only needed the bushing tap. Oh well ill order one for future use and figure what im gonna do next. The oversized bushing tap is if you stip out the bushing thread. I know now.

Since you probably will never take those bushings out you could just drill a tight size hole and stake em in from the back. Might even self tap in brass. A dab of epoxy should hold it.
Don't throw them taps out. I haven't stripped any bushings yet but I know its a coin.

Nope! Havent given up yet! NEVER! I know ive been running my mouth a lot lately but ive been running my tools as well:D Wifes away this this dog's gonna play!

b5614bc5514ae83186f6976a7a44d171

Got them 1911 bushings in Bawanna! Great idea! Them threads are way fine. 236 tpi:eek: Had to chuck the tap up in the drill press and manually turn it to get it aligned and tapped but went flawlessly:thumbup:

f38aaab4457c29d28f3161a5eeb3f66f

Then I drilled and counterbored the scales. That wasnt so much fun but it got done. I can tell i need to set something up proper if Im gonna do that again. Really needs to be done on a mill. Sloppy arse chinese drill press just dont get it. I really need a mill.

ee6f40f5088d926398824bf72df75c31

Anyway while i was on the sloppy drill I counter bored for the bearings. Another mil task. I managed to get a forstner bit to work but not pretty. Only worked because it was brass.

36b7571e696c4319a0b92b97701665f1

Scales fit pretty good once the bushings were installed. Not perfect but good enuff for first time. I can always make another set of scales anytime.

e11baa8ecaee025eccf86c82099e9745

Time to cut off all the vertical stuff from the scales. I had to make a sanding drum and use sticky paper to get the inside radii. worked pretty well.

3811fd591dfff60fac018090cba07b9a

Done with the vertical stuff. Next is take off some scale thinckness. Actually ive already done that but im behind on posting pics and stuff so that will come on next update. Im cutting bevels on the scales now. This is the scary part? No idea how this is going to turn out. Had to let the dust settle in the shop so figured id post some pics and update.

If you got a straight router bit, like a 1/8" or 3/16" you can chuck it up in your Chinese drill and just set the depth and router off the excess.

I use a Dremel in a Dremel drill stand, actually I don't think it's a real Dremel but a Dremel knock off.

Just hang on tight and don't take too much on each pass, they sometimes want to grab and fling your work over to the neighbors house.

Make's pretty short work of it and a pretty clean finish so not a ton of sanding and filing required.

I (my wife) do have a dremel and one of those stands like you have on your bench. I need to get some router bits i guess. Thats what im missing. Kinda missing my wife too. Gettin hungry ya know. I think the high speed is much better as well. Wonder if my dog will come back with a rabbit? Beans and nachos again tonite. Im cutting the scales now. lets see if i can get a quick pic....hold on a sec.....
OK...got it! The 1911 screws are just shy of .150" so you could drill initial hole for 1/8 (.125) then router the screw head OD to depth. Then open to bushing OD. Got it! Thanks man! I centered and predrilled everything to the outer diameter of the bushings and lost my centering for the router bit. Live and learn!
Ha! Yes my neighbor prolly has a few pieces in his yard too:D

f39946722b75f2d2bbfd71562bf06386

Heres where im at. I got the bevel cut at the end pieces but need to cut a bevel all around the perimeter. I dont want to cut much into the brass maybe 1/8" chamfer or something then gradually increase that once into the scales. I was thinking router bit might work well here. Maybe a quarter round or something like that. Probably have to do some hand profiling to match things up. Whaddaya think? If i was good enuff id just slack belt around the whole thing but the radii might be scarry.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic piece of work. It's even more massive than I expected.

I'm pretty fuzzy about how the locking mechanism works, even though you posted a few early pics of the pieces. I don't own any locking folders and don't know the terminology, so I'm having trouble visualizing how it locks and unlocks. Maybe in your next set of photos you can have one or two that illustrate this feature on the finished knife.

Ill get a few shots for ya David next time I put it together. I fashioned it after a Buck knife I used to have. I believe it was a 110? not sure. I screwed this one up a bit so i had to modify it some to make it work and still look good. I think by the time I get done cutting and polishing it away it will be right at one pound. You dont need brass knuckles with this blade. And thank you sir for the complements. It has been fun and distressing at the same time:D

I fashioned it after a Buck knife I used to have. I believe it was a 110? not sure.

Looks like the old school 110 lockback system. Buck has been using that lock on their 110's forever, haven't heard of any problems as of late.

A quarter round or OGee bit would put a nice shape around the edge. The slack belt sander would certainly work too.

Them durn little Dremel router bits ain't cheap, that's why there's always so much smoke in my man cave, I use em up completely and cry when I have to buy new ones. I need to get some too. Sometimes hard to find em around here, have to shop on line I reckon.

You dun real good on that thing. Don't forget Macaroni and Cheese and Top Ramen while the cook is gone. Man has subsisted on it since time began. A nice T bone and a box of macaroni and cheese,,,, well that's a meal for a king.

Re: buck 110: I figured if it worked for them them it'll work for me. They used to have a warranty "if you loose it we will replace it for free". I never redeemed it but i lost them all:rolleyes:

Ha! Heck with Ramen Bawanna! I have a ribeye she left me. Its on the counter now coming to room temp! Got beans and brussels sprouts too! Yep I actually do like them! Im eatin good tonite:p Im opening one of them Guinness too Bookie! Its a good nite! Freekin cold outside tho. Im running back (square house) and forth to the shop (geodome) Brrrr! I need to connect them soon. I decided to just go ahead and file away manually. Ill show ya the destruction soon. The stabilized stuff files pretty good actually. I usually worry about breakouts on the edge and stuff but this stuff seems to be pretty dang stable. oh crap there went the phone...:confused: Shes checkin in on me? Back at ya...Ok all good. Shes comin back tue. My new 20" CAK will be here Monday...Whew! Shark week almost over.

Last edited:
I love the wood scales, very classy looking. I cant wait to see them finished. The grain is already popping without the "wet" look. Super job buddy!

Thanks gb!
OK. Heck with all the tools. I just went to town sanding and filing. Im still shaping with 220 grit now. Need to deepen one bushing screw hole slightly because the head sticks up out of the hole .010". No problem. Going to see how much I can get done before my wife gets home because I know ill be on hold when that happens.

Oooops! Just realized I have to grind the inner parts to fit the frame so time to put it all back together. May have to re-radius a few spots again?

d2bc34c6b99abc5c91636da46203fc39

Thanks Flower! Its been fun:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back