Microtech Combat Troodon vs. Heretic Manticore X

brj

Haven't seen that many head-to-head comparisons so I thought I'd post some impressions.

Microtech only sends you the knife, Heretic seems a bit more generous. However, Microtech's box feels sturdier so if you store your knives in boxes, you might have a bit more peace of mind.

D9ptd2u.jpg

Ergonomics
Shapes and dimensions are pretty much alike and equally functional. I like a lot how the Combat Troodon handle swells in the middle and gradually thins out back and front, I kind of dislike how the curvature that hosts your index and middle finger totally lacks chamfering, I'd rather they'd built it more akin to the Ultratech, with a nice chamfer all across the chassis. Manticore is a tad more subdued design-wise, with less pronounced lines, but feels a bit more comfy in hand. Winner in a direct comparison the MX by a very small margin.
MX 1 - CT 0

MIROkyO.jpg

Clip & glassbreaker
The clip used on the Troodon and Dirac family is my absolute favorite. Excellent retention, due to the 'double-dip' design you get to decide how low or high in your pocket you'd like to carry, easy to get out of pocket, easy to insert, no hotspots in use. The clip on the Manticore feels like a thermoplastic (a magnet doesn't stick), seems to work fine and you can buy replacement clips from Heretic, but also feels a bit cheap though. Glassbreaker is more of a personal preference thingy (and I don't think knives should necessarily come with such a feature) but I do happen to like Microtech's dome and it doesn't bother me in use or carry. Manticore has done a better design job by integrating it in the handle itself, looks smooth and neat. However, if you do come to having to use a glassbreaker, I think a separate metal piece might provide a bit more structural integrity behind your punch that an aluminum-wrapped ball-only design.
MX 1 - CT 1

dl6jvxz.jpg

Fit & finish
The marketing geniuses have come up with similar notions, apocalyptic vs. battleworn, probably aiming to appeal to the same demographics. Microtech's apocalyptic finish seems to hide well scratches (and the cringy amount of billboarding) and takes well abuse. I also like the pre-distressed handle, less qualms to not throw it immediately in the pocket. Manticore has again the more clean design with virtually no markings (apart from the upper part of the handle and steel type on blade) but, personal preference again, the heavy stonewashing used in the median area of the blade (in my particular example) has left a lot of scratches that are in stark contrast with the coated parts, and I find the overall two-tone color scheme a bit meh, so
MX 1 - CT 2

hHQwTDb.jpg

Action
The CT is unnecessarily (bordering on ridiculously) hard to retract. Manticore uses a wider, lower-positioned, sparsely-jimped switch that improves tenfold the action.
MX 2 - CT 2

er8UEAn.jpg

Bladeplay/rattle
Absolutely comparable (a tiny amount) of bladeplay on both, no rattle on either.
MX 3 - CT 3

Weight
Manticore weights some 20 gr less, not much in the grand scheme of the Universe but to me lighter is better, so half a point goes to MX
MX 3.5 - CT 3

Price
ManticoreX is less than half the price of a Combat Troodon with comparable materials and built quality, no contest here, I'll even give it a point and a half so we dispense with the fractions.
MX 5 - CT 3

There you have it, if the matter of how there 2 compare against each other was keeping you awake at night :D , glad to have helped.

Edited to add: you might notice I've absolutely ignored blade steel (as I've come to realize geometry is the more important parameter) and cutting performance (my CT is now roughly 18.5 dps, so no fair comparison either).

Last edited:
Awesome work. Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about buying a Manicore X for 2 years. Finally got around to doing some research this morning and saw your post. Couldn't have been better timing. Last I looked they were hard to find. Any recommendations on websites with a large in stock selection?

Haven't seen that many head-to-head comparisons so I thought I'd post some impressions.

Microtech only sends you the knife, Heretic seems a bit more generous. However, Microtech's box feels sturdier so if you store your knives in boxes, you might have a bit more peace of mind.

D9ptd2u.jpg

Ergonomics
Shapes and dimensions are pretty much alike and equally functional. I like a lot how the Combat Troodon handle swells in the middle and gradually thins out back and front, I kind of dislike how the curvature that hosts your index and middle finger totally lacks chamfering, I'd rather they'd built it more akin to the Ultratech, with a nice chamfer all across the chassis. Manticore is a tad more subdued design-wise, with less pronounced lines, but feels a bit more comfy in hand. Winner in a direct comparison the MX by a very small margin.
MX 1 - CT 0

MIROkyO.jpg

Clip & glassbreaker
The clip used on the Troodon and Dirac family is my absolute favorite. Excellent retention, due to the 'double-dip' design you get to decide how low or high in your pocket you'd like to carry, easy to get out of pocket, easy to insert, no hotspots in use. The clip on the Manticore feels like a thermoplastic (a magnet doesn't stick), seems to work fine and you can buy replacement clips from Heretic, but also feels a bit cheap though. Glassbreaker is more of a personal preference thingy (and I don't think knives should necessarily come with such a feature) but I do happen to like Microtech's dome and it doesn't bother me in use or carry. Manticore has done a better design job by integrating it in the handle itself, looks smooth and neat. However, if you do come to having to use a glassbreaker, I think a separate metal piece might provide a bit more structural integrity behind your punch that an aluminum-wrapped ball-only design.
MX 1 - CT 1

dl6jvxz.jpg

Fit & finish
The marketing geniuses have come up with similar notions, apocalyptic vs. battleworn, probably aiming to appeal to the same demographics. Microtech's apocalyptic finish seems to hide well scratches (and the cringy amount of billboarding) and takes well abuse. I also like the pre-distressed handle, less qualms to not throw it immediately in the pocket. Manticore has again the more clean design with virtually no markings (apart from the upper part of the handle and steel type on blade) but, personal preference again, the heavy stonewashing used in the median area of the blade (in my particular example) has left a lot of scratches that are in stark contrast with the coated parts, and I find the overall two-tone color scheme a bit meh, so
MX 1 - CT 2

hHQwTDb.jpg

Action
The CT is unnecessarily (bordering on ridiculously) hard to retract. Manticore uses a wider, lower-positioned, sparsely-jimped switch that improves tenfold the action.
MX 2 - CT 2

er8UEAn.jpg

Bladeplay/rattle
Absolutely comparable (a tiny amount) of bladeplay on both, no rattle on either.
MX 3 - CT 3

Weight
Manticore weights some 20 gr less, not much in the grand scheme of the Universe but to me lighter is better, so half a point goes to MX
MX 3.5 - CT 3

Price
ManticoreX is less than half the price of a Combat Troodon with comparable materials and built quality, no contest here, I'll even give it a point and a half so we dispense with the fractions.
MX 5 - CT 3

There you have it, if the matter of how there 2 compare against each other was keeping you awake at night :D , glad to have helped.

Edited to add: you might notice I've absolutely ignored blade steel (as I've come to realize geometry is the more important parameter) and cutting performance (my CT is now roughly 18.5 dps, so no fair comparison either).
Except for the unnecessary holes in the blade (dirt and debris traps) , and the "blood groove" fuller ...no, please just put the Heretic blade on the CT and good to go ! ☺️

Resurrecting this old thread to say the Ultem top CT from mid-2023 has brought marginal improvements (wider activation switch, better action) while the brand new Gen 3 blows everything else out of the water (older iterations of CT and Manticore X alike)

(for blade length comparison purposes disregard the bottom CT as it has lost some tip during sharpening)

gZAsXRB.jpg

Are those side things on the Glykon functional? They look cool and all, but is it easy to close the knife with them?

Back