Mid-west “Get together” Outdoor weekend June 9,10,11

the weather was gorgeous, Brian and the boys were excellent hosts, and the site is awesome -- you all missed out.
we shared camp with some adorable lizards - that may have been texas horned lizards living well outside their known habitat.

we compared Brian's homemade traditional bacon to my homemade shoulder bacon (this batch was MUCH better than what I had at the spring gathering)
retensioned 2 zip lines
did a woods hike including looking for artesian springs along the streambank.
ate
sharpened stuff with a Baryonyx mutt stone and arctic fox scythe stone
threw knives, hawks, and a shovel
sat around the firepit and made wood shavings

and he topped it off with chicken & taters grilled over the world's largest emberlit type stove. (with a rotating grilling rack)

site has plenty of room for tents out in the open - or in the trees.
lots of places for hammocks
a hillside on the other side of the stream with plenty of room for more secluded camps (4x4 required for access)
an enclosed cook shack, a 16x30 canopy with plenty of seating and a long food prep/serving bar
potable well water
a portajohn

in the spring, the stream provides a mile or so of canoe/kayak depth (the reason this was rescheduled is because that stream was running about 9' deep and thinking about flooding the camping area)

Sounds like a good weekend. I'm jealous!

Thanks to Brian for putting this on.
Hopefully there will be a next time, and I will be able to make it.

it's pretty easy to get to and fairly central -- 5.5 hours from Barlow, Effingham, or Centralia, 7.5 hours from Seymour or Nashville, 9.5 hours from Chattanooga.

Yes, it was a relaxing and fun, and informative time. Thanks 1066vik for all your help and knowledge sharing and stories.

Eric arriving and unloading.
srrWMzyl.jpg

The hike along stream.
swByNfB.jpg

One of the springs that come out of the rock.
XkBNlICl.jpg

Bacon and Chaga tea. (seeped all night over the fire.)
pM2usKTl.jpg

Testing some bacon knives. The 5 was "Fisked" to a 20 degree. Very pleased with the results for food work.
VvhLNcQl.jpg

Comparing and looking....
psGXV5xl.jpg

Breakfast (Eggs, home made bacon, shoulder bacon, bannock and butter, and steak.)
2j0aqfil.jpg

4hpdjsBl.jpg

1mxPFVkl.jpg

Saturday supper....
0hk79Pdl.jpg

kDEJP9Ol.jpg

A boy plays with fire in a stump... And his BK16.
T6AqWWbl.jpg

Learning the 29
fCAdxDZ.jpg

Last edited:
Here is some clips of the throwing. Hope these work!

Last edited:
Glad you all had a good time. I had my son's second birthday party to host that day and was unable to make it. Hopefully, next time I'll be there.

Back