Military and LE

It's very light weight for it's size. Everyone who ever asked to see/handle it remarked on how light it is. I could never carry it comfortably in regular clothes but it was a perfect fit for the sap pocket. Honestly, a big part of my motivation for carrying such a large blade were the reactions (smiles, "whoa's!", laughter, Crocodile Dundee references, etc...) I got from people. Almost without exception they were positive, especially from kids when they saw see me use it to cut fingerprint tape, crime scene tape, or whatever. I actually kind of started a small trend of fellow deputies carrying large Cold Steel knives at a couple different stations at which I worked. It wasn't many, maybe three or four (we have 2000+ personnel), but I'm still happy to have introduced some people to the wonderfull world of ridiculously large Cold Steel knives!

No rationale was offered, though it's certainly concern over public image and not wanting the public to perceive the knife as a weapon. It's actually a very good idea to have policies on authorized equipment, especially something that most would consider a weapon. A coworker who was on the commitee that wrote the knife policy told me he thought of me when they decided on the size of the knife, so my carrying such a large knife may have contributed to restricting the authorized blade length. Our old policy said something to the effect of "may carry a folding knife with a blade capable of being locked in the open postion", so it was really broad. And while people may think a 4 inch blade is still a big knife, we are limited to 8 inches in overall knife length, so if one opts to carry a folder (which is 99.99% of us), the blade actually has to be UNDER 4 inches in length to fit in the handle. My Griptillian fits the policy size perfectly as it's overall length is 8 inches, even though the blade is under 4 inches in length. The Grip is a completely adequate knife, but I do miss carrying my X2 pocket sword......
Comedian actor Rudy Ray Moore used to say "You big girls have everything that little skinny girls have, just a lot more of it." Nothing wrong with that as I prefer bigger women and larger knives. That Cold Steel even makes these knives give choices so there's something for everybody.

Almost without exception they were positive, especially from kids when they saw see me use it to cut fingerprint tape, crime scene tape, or whatever. I actually kind of started a small trend of fellow deputies carrying large Cold Steel knives at a couple different stations at which I worked. It wasn't many, maybe three or four (we have 2000+ personnel), but I'm still happy to have introduced some people to the wonderfull world of ridiculously large Cold Steel knives!

Nicely done!

Hey... don't leave me out. I've been carrying a Camillus Heat for twenty years now. Still sharp enough to shave with. ;)

That’s impressive, too! I change my daily carry knife almost as often as I change my shirt, so I marvel at anyone on these boards who’s content with a single folder for fifteen or twenty years!

-Steve

I change my carry guns like I change my underwear. Not my knife as much. I do carry others, but the Heat is always my lazy go to. It does it all. And has the intimidation factor of an auto, but with the robo assist instead, so legal everywhere.

Back