Military Filipino Machete

Thanks. That is about what I had guessed. Now to figure out how to plant the gift idea in my girlfriend's head without emailing her the website. Being subtle is important when it comes to machetes! :)

Anybody had done bussiness with Typhoon gear in the last two months or so? My ginunting order is seemingly going nowhere and I do not even get replies to my e-mails...

Anybody had done bussiness with Typhoon gear in the last two months or so? My ginunting order is seemingly going nowhere and I do not even get replies to my e-mails...

That's Not Good ! I was going to Order one also, But I havent yet. If there not replying to your E-Mail's "That's a Bad Sign" ! To many Company's going under these Day's, And heck there In the Philippines, That place Is a Hot-Bed for Law-Less-Ness. There Web-Site Is still up, If I here anything I'll let you know, Good Luck with getting your Order,

Juramentado e-mailed me; they apparently had some communication problems that are now resolved. I will let you all know how I like the ginunting when it will arrive :)

Juramentado e-mailed me; they apparently had some communication problems that are now resolved. I will let you all know how I like the ginunting when it will arrive :)

Allright That Is Good New's ! I though, Well I heard they was a Good Company but these Day's with the World Wide Econmy In Shamble's Company's are going Down every Day, Or Executive's are taking what Money Is left In the Company and Bailing out, I Hope you get your Ginunting Real soon let us all know, :thumbup:

Has anyone had any communication with Typhoon of late? I sent them an email inquiring about their Dahong Palay and have not received a reply.

I heard from them in mid-July. Placed an order and paid the deposit but I haven't heard anything since. I still have a couple of weeks before the order would be behind schedule but I find it disconcerting that I haven't had an acknowledgement of the order or a reply to my first inquiry (I sent another today). I'll let you know if I hear something.

It did take awhile before I got a response to my inquiry prior to ordering the ginunting, btw.

Thanks, Doc. I'm not really inclined to continue pursuing an order if I can't establish basic communication though, even if it does look like a good product. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anyone getting shafted yet, maybe they're just Luddites.

I got my ginunting yesterday (ordered it on April the 30th).
Bad things:
- Communication was spotty, sometimes I didn't get an answer to my e-mails for three weeks
- The manufacture/delivery time was a lot longer than 1-2 months proclaimed on Typhoon website
- The handle feels a bit strange, caused hot spots (almost got two blisters) during some drills and test cutting

Good things:
- The ginuting is very solidly build, or at least feels that way
- Feels very alive and quick in the hand
- It is sharp enough to cleanly slice paper - and stays sharp, even after hacking oak branches
- The kydex sheath is nice, doesn't scratch the blade and draw is fast (and it is ambidextrous, despite requests to specify left/right hand draw)
- I am beginning to 'get' the handle and it slowly grows to be comfortable or at least useable. I would still prefer less pronounced finger grooves, though.

Overall, would I do bussiness with Typhoon again? Yes, with some hesitation, if I would not care about delivery time. The product itself is good, the services are not up to par - but again, better than useless product backed with excellent customer service.

By the way, if someone would care to post a picture of Typhoon ginunting in the hand, so I can see how someone else grips it, how canted the hand is and so on, it would help in my experimentation to find the most secure, comfortable grip :)

i got my ginunting yesterday (ordered it on april the 30th).
Bad things:
- communication was spotty, sometimes i didn't get an answer to my e-mails for three weeks
- the manufacture/delivery time was a lot longer than 1-2 months proclaimed on typhoon website
- the handle feels a bit strange, caused hot spots (almost got two blisters) during some drills and test cutting

good things:
- the ginuting is very solidly build, or at least feels that way
- feels very alive and quick in the hand
- it is sharp enough to cleanly slice paper - and stays sharp, even after hacking oak branches
- the kydex sheath is nice, doesn't scratch the blade and draw is fast (and it is ambidextrous, despite requests to specify left/right hand draw)
- i am beginning to 'get' the handle and it slowly grows to be comfortable or at least useable. I would still prefer less pronounced finger grooves, though.

Overall, would i do bussiness with typhoon again? Yes, with some hesitation, if i would not care about delivery time. The product itself is good, the services are not up to par - but again, better than useless product backed with excellent customer service.

By the way, if someone would care to post a picture of typhoon ginunting in the hand, so i can see how someone else grips it, how canted the hand is and so on, it would help in my experimentation to find the most secure, comfortable grip :)

thanks this answers a lot of my question !!!

Some additional pointers, after using the ginunting more:
Despite my effort to keep it warm and stable, using mineral oil on the handle, despite the fact that the temperature was in high 20s (25-30 °C), the handle cracked in three spots. One was clean in the wood, two were evidently there before and were filled with epoxy in the manufacturing process. The blade didn't get loose in any way, however. I filled these cracks with superglue, no further cracking took place so far.
I got used to the handle and can use the ginunting for longer time periods (30 minutes+) without much discomfort.
My ideal ginunting would have less pronounced finger grooves and peened tang... but this one serves admirably.

Last edited:
Stenny,

Thanks for the evaluation. Love my ginuntings and the exotic wood. They just don't love the colder climate and also reaffirm my liking for the peened tang as I stated in post #34.

I got an email a few days ago saying that all current orders would be shipped by the end of the month and explaining that there had been issues with Typhoon-Gear's webserver and internet connection. There is a post about that part on another forum, I think it is FMA-Talk. I'll post once I hear more.

Any progress with Typhoon? I've been waiting for their website to reappear to place an order, but to no avail.

Anyone get their order out?

Saw a pic of a ginunting KNIFE that I think this company was supposed to come out with any word on it ?

Any progress with Typhoon? I've been waiting for their website to reappear to place an order, but to no avail.

Anyone get their order out?

I haven't heard anything since my before my last post here. I'm still hopeful but am also a little worried about my deposit at this point.

Dunno how helpful it might be or how possible, but, i think we have a few members here in the P.I.. Might be worth contacting to check if everything is ok.

I can't recall the names, but, they pop in here every so often. good luck

Back