Mineral Oli/Tuf-glide/Cloth...etc?

How do you protect/coat your knifes? I have not tried the Tuf-glide/cloth so I was just wondering what others recommend?

Thanks.

I use Ballistol, its a mineral oil aerosol. Its the only thing that negates my acidic touch. My hands rust stainless in hours, seriously. Ballistol is what allows me to handle my knives and old Colts without concern for rust. Love the stuff, and you can use it as an antiseptic. Moose

I keep food grade mineral oil on the kitchen counter. Does a great job on high carbon knives.

Tuf Cloth and Tuf Glide are also effective.

Interesting info. I'm afraid that all I do is wipe water off the blades, at best. I already see rust on a BK-2 Allan head bolt. Time for me to smarten up.

I use Ballistol, its a mineral oil aerosol. Its the only thing that negates my acidic touch. My hands rust stainless in hours, seriously. Ballistol is what allows me to handle my knives and old Colts without concern for rust. Love the stuff, and you can use it as an antiseptic. Moose

+1 on Ballistol

I got the Tuf-Cloth for Tuf-Glide application and it has worked pretty well so far. I have been applying it religiously on my machete, which I beat the living tar out of every few days, after every use. It has kept rust off of it pretty well. I will have to try that ballistol too someday.

++1 on Ballistol. Use it on all of my knives! Plus, it's non-toxic...but I would still clean my blades before using them for food prep!

Thanks everyone, a buddy of mine has some extra tuf cloth so I'll give that a shot.

Sounds like Ballistol is the way to go. Where can I go to get it? (is that a valid question on the forum?) ill google it.

Much appreciated.

many things are plain Marketing.. !!!!

I've learned this over the years (especially when it comes to automotive additives) some things work while others should be illegal to sale as they do harm to your engine..

for blades I use mineral oil exclusively.

wood knife handles, tung oil or blo.

for guns its, Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic.

none of these are marketed as such but are by far more superior then those that are, do your research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

one could go on for hours how people hype products for their firearms/knives/cars etc that simply do NOT work but they love it because its what others use, but when the chemical makeup and components are broken down that product in MOST cases is useless in its own right, money down the drain..

but I'll digress on this one before I lose it..

Last edited:
i've some ballistol. has a smell you can get used to. not bad.

plain food grade mineral oil... it's like $2 for a liter. lasts forever. doesn't smell. it's crystal clear and doesn't stain black. doesn't rot or degrade. i use it on all kinds of things. good stuff.

Bladite

I've been using vegetable oil on my knife. People say it gets rancid, but I haven't noticed it, and if it does I'll just wash off the old vegetable oil and add fresh vegetable oil. I always wash my kitchen knives before I use them and I'd wash my Bk-2 also before I use it on food too.

I use mineral oil. It can be drank as an internal lubricant, like caster oil, but no smell or taste. it works great on guns, reels, knives& never gets sticky.

I use Camellia Oil. Similar to mineral however I have found that it doesn't evaporate as fast and I like the sheen (not too glossy and not too flat) it provides on steel and ivory as I display all my knives.
I have used Ballistol and wouldn't recommend it for display knives as it gets gummy/sticky and attracts dirt/dust like a magnet.
At least, that was my experience, I'm sure it does a great job as far as protection.

Are you talking about how to take care of your Beckers? Ethan would be ashamed. Spit on it, scrub it with a rock and wipe it on your pants. Done.

:D

Rust-free, mineral oil and Rem Oil(for it's solvent properties) are mostly what I use. At the risk of starting an argument, I've even been known to use WD-40 with steel wool or scotchbrite to clean wood resin off the blades.

Are you talking about how to take care of your Beckers? Ethan would be ashamed. Spit on it, scrub it with a rock and wipe it on your pants. Done.
This is kinda what I have been doing already;)

Really as the collection grows I wanted to prevent rust as much as possible. No too worried about it here in Nor Cal but it has been an issue for some of those in more humid climates.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

:D

Rust-free, mineral oil and Rem Oil(for it's solvent properties) are mostly what I use. At the risk of starting an argument, I've even been known to use WD-40 with steel wool or scotchbrite to clean wood resin off the blades.

Hey, you get no arguement from me, I use lighter fluid for the sticky stuff. I use ballistol and 000 steel wool for that just got shined look. Right now, only my BK2 is stripped, but I have several other knives that are stripped as well. They all get a lighter fluid wipe down after fatwood harvesting. I have heard that pine resin is caustic to carbon steel?? Anyone got some info on that ?

Moose

Turpenes are acidic, like .5%, which is less than vinegar, so it's not real strong. Though I imagine it would cause a patina if left on long enough.

Turpenes are acidic, like .5%, which is less than vinegar, so it's not real strong. Though I imagine it would cause a patina if left on long enough.

I had an Kabar1217 that I NEVER cleaned, then I took somelighter fluid to it, and there was a spot about the size of a pencil eraser, where I had gottin pine sap on it. When I finally scrubbed it off, it had the flaky red stuff under it. Never slowed the knife down, I just always wondered.

Moose

ok this is kinda odd but i put hoppes 9 gun grease on my knives... a super thin layer you barely know its there and it will protect your blades FOREVER its usually used for storing guns for long times and has solvents and oils in it that will keep steel rust free indefinately and i like the smell its kinda weird i also use rem-oil its great stuff but i use it as lube for my folders

are you talking about the solvent? I'm not familiar with hoppes gun grease, I use hoppes to clean all my guns (well some places I use alcohol) I too love the smell besides I grew up on the stuff. I leave all my guns coated with Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic..

dollar for dollar and crossed compared to anything out there it outperforms them all..

Back