MKM Malga internal pics for those wondering about mod options

My MKM Malga came from the factory with absolutely horrid-smelling grease on the pivots (think used gear oil if you've taken a whiff of that before), so I took it apart last night for some ultrasonic cleaning. Just before I put it back together it occurred to me that folks might be curious about how it is assembled.

20230825-073257.jpg

You can't take a Victorinox SAK apart without grinding and punching out the brass pins, so I figured some might appreciate knowing that the Malga is different, as my hasty photos demonstrate (the knife with most tools removed at the top is the MKM, the one in the middle with the can opener and flat-head driver is a Victorinox Spartan).

20230824-193849.jpg

The pivot screws are thicker than the pins on a Victorinox SAK, so if you were going to swap implements you'll need to drill out the holes (likely with a carbide bit to get through the hardened steel). Where the backspring intersects with the ricasso is also deeper on the MKM - it would probably still work, but might look odd.

20230824-193745.jpg

The Malga is longer than mid-sized SAKs, so Victorinox tools will be shorter - I still think they would fit though. Also note that the key ring hole is a separate piece, not just a part of one of the liners (top left corner of this picture, attached to a suspension clip).

20230824-193841.jpg

Anyway, hope that helps someone. In some respects modding one of these should be easier than an Victorinox since the pivot pins just press out. Maybe a little trickier if you're trying to swap tools though. With removable scales, it looks like adding a pocket clip would be a reasonably simple project.

Any chance it would be possible to eliminate the fork and replace it with a longitudinal awl?

Any chance it would be possible to eliminate the fork and replace it with a longitudinal awl?
No... and maybe yes. It depends how creative you are.

Not directly because the fork is a very thin tool. An awl that thin would probably twist and break.

20230825-212516.jpg

However, you could probably add a phosphor bronze washer to the outside knife pivot as a spacer. That would move the scale out slightly so you could insert a thicker tool. I don't think a Victorinox awl would fit, but that wouldn't be a difficult tool to DIY. You could gain a little more width at the base by leaving out the keyring hole.

I was actually thinking I could copy the fork shape but omit the tines to make a thin chisel/scraper tool.

First things first though, the awl it comes with is awl-ful. That's not going to cut at awl. Awl need to figure out a way to sharpen it.

No... and maybe yes. It depends how creative you are.

Not directly because the fork is a very thin tool. An awl that thin would probably twist and break.

20230825-212516.jpg

However, you could probably add a phosphor bronze washer to the outside knife pivot as a spacer. That would move the scale out slightly so you could insert a thicker tool. I don't think a Victorinox awl would fit, but that wouldn't be a difficult tool to DIY. You could gain a little more width at the base by leaving out the keyring hole.

I was actually thinking I could copy the fork shape but omit the tines to make a thin chisel/scraper tool.

First things first though, the awl it comes with is awl-ful. That's not going to cut at awl. Awl need to figure out a way to sharpen it.
Thanks Magnacut for your thoughtful reply. I didn’t realize how thin the fork is. I carry Vic Alox and the longitudinal awl runs a close second to the main blade for utility and frequent use. And, your multiple use of “awl” in the last paragraph is noted and appreciated!

Back