Modern EDC Flashlights

I just picked up an Acebeam/Maratac Defender P16 for a similar “all around” use. It’s a touch over 5” long, uses a 18650 cell (replaces 2 CR123 but those an be used also), plus I really like the dual switch operation which has been easy to manipulate with gloves on. It has “modes” but the operation between them is quick to figure out.

After many years of using Surefire CR123 flashlights as an all around, multi use flashlight. Walk the dog at night and need to pick up after him? Surefire. Look in the deep dark corner of the safe? Surefire. Look under the seat of the car? Surefire. You get the picture. Problem is that the run time is basically a joke.

I don’t recall the model of Surefire, but it takes 2 CR123 batteries and is approx. 5” long.

I am looking for real world opinions on rechargeable LED personal sized flashlights. I see quite a few different companies (Olight Warrior, Fenix, etc.) that offer handheld/pocketable lights, but have absolutely no idea what to buy.

Do rechargeable lights hold their charge if not used for a month or so? I ask because obviously a battery light will work when needed.

So, what rechargeable light should I be looking at? I will probably be buying 3 of them to keep in various places around the house.

I know about the flashlight forum, but most guys there are fanatical about this or that brand. Really not looking for that.

Thoughts?

Generally speaking, if you want to maximize the off-time battery life, you want a mechanical on/off switch and not an electronic switch. However, for lights that take 18650's (slightly bigger than the 2xCR123 lights), there's a lot more mAh to waste if needed (2xCR123 is around 1200-1500 mAh, 1x18650 are 2800-3800 mAh).

I've got all sorts of flashlights from Malkoff and SF to the cheapies like Coast, Eveready, and OT (Wallmart $1 lights). Although I have specific roles for different lights, two of my favorite task lights that I've actually used for 1 plus hour tasks are:

Small form factor: Streamlight Macrostream (uses prorpietary 14500 li rechargeable)

Small/medium form factor: Fenix LD30 (18650 li rechargeable) - much longer run times ar similar light levels

Two downsides for both lights are they can't tailstand (switch on end), and they are relatively floody, so they reflect mist, rain, snow, smoke back at you if you are in those environments. Preference to the Macrostream for the weight if you like to clip the flashlight to your hat brim. Preferenc to the Fenix for longer run times, brighter output, and a side switch so you don't have to turn the light off to change modes.

Last edited:
I have used fenix lights since 2007. I used a Pd32 for 8 years as a mechanic in prudhoe bay oilfield until I wore through the rubber in the mode button. I applied silicone to the rubber and have used it in my garage ever since. I now have a dozen fenix lights and have been happy with all of them. I do have a friend that had a pd35 die on him so it does happen but not enough that I'm worried about one failing at the wrong time.

I have been happy with my streamlights, lights, and surefire LEDs. I currently use a fenix pd36r for work had it almost a year now. I carry a LD22 for off work EDC. It comes with a rechargeable battery and I carry some primary AA's in my coat for backup.

Generally speaking, if you want to maximize the off-time battery life, you want a mechanical on/off switch and not an electronic switch. However, for lights that take 18650's (slightly bigger than the 2xCR123 lights), there's a lot more mAh to waste if needed (2xCR123 is around 1200-1500 mAh, 1x18650 are 2800-3800 mAh).

I've got all sorts of flashlights from Malkoff and SF to the cheapies like Coast, Eveready, and OT (Wallmart $1 lights). Although I have specific roles for different lights, two of my favorite task lights that I've actually used for 1 plus hour tasks are:

Small form factor: Streamlight Macrostream (uses prorpietary 14500 li rechargeable)

Small/medium form factor: Fenix LD30 (18650 li rechargeable) - much longer run times ar similar light levels

Two downsides for both lights are they can't tailstand (switch on end), and they are relatively floody, so they reflect mist, rain, snow, smoke back at you if you are in those environments. Preference to the Macrostream for the weight if you like to clip the flashlight to your hat brim. Preferenc to the Fenix for longer run times, brighter output, and a side switch so you don't have to turn the light off to change modes.
The LD30 might be my favorite little light.

The LD30 seems roughly equivalent to the PD35. I don't know why they make 2 models so similar.
The LD30 is shorter and lighter - that matters to some people. Besides, not only will they sell to people wanting a smaller/lighter torch, they'll also sell to people that buy lights the way some of this site's members buy knives.

Check out some of the offerings from Acebeam and Wurkkos. Huge range available these days and the quality-to-price ratio is way beyond what it was some years ago. 1lumen has pretty thorough reviews. Tons of info out there; look at Reddit's flashlight subreddit of you want to nerd out.

I don't understand the Fenix models. The LD30 seems roughly equivalent to the PD35. I don't know why they make 2 models so similar.
The LD30 is shorter and lighter - that matters to some people. Besides, not only will they sell to people wanting a smaller/lighter torch, they'll also sell to people that buy lights the way some of this site's members buy knives.
The LD30 also has more spill, wider beam, than the PD35.
Over the years I’ve come to appreciate wider beams on general purpose/walking flashlights.
Agree that a lot of lights tend to be fairly similar, but it’s the details that make people want one over the other. I personally like all the choices.

I don't understand the Fenix models. The LD30 seems roughly equivalent to the PD35. I don't know why they make 2 models so similar.

Like GB940Rookie GB940Rookie said, the difference is in the intensity (candela).

The PD35 on 'Turbo' mode has 31900cd.

The LD30 on 'Turbo' mode has 10302cd.

While the lumen between the two models is very similar, the candela is very different.

As a result, the PD35 has a very tight, focused beam and the LD30 has more 'spill' or a broader illumination area.

Just depends on what you want the light for.

As a result, the PD35 has a very tight, focused beam and the LD30 has more 'spill' or a broader illumination area.
I've noticed this when going from brand to brand. You can look at the specs on paper but there is usually nothing that tells you how tight the spot is vs. how much spill there is. For instance if you're looking for something in a dark closet at home, you will appreciate spill vs. spot. If you're walking the dog you might prefer more spill. If you are outdoors looking at things far away you will prefer more spot. Unfortunately you have to read a lot of reviews hoping to find someone who will give a good comparison of the beam shape. Not too many years ago there were a lot of cheap LED lights available that had a lot of little LEDS and not really any reflector. These lights were cheap because they didn't need any electronics to run them. Their beam was essentially all spill, didn't have much reach outdoors but they were good for looking in dark closets, under the bed, things like that.

Broadly speaking you can gauge spot vs flood by lumen vs candela.

A low lumen light with high cd = spot. High lumen low cd = flood. High lumen crazy high cd spot. High lumen high cd = combo.

After awhile you'll get a feel for lights.

I’ve went through a shit ton of lights in my job. Surefire (CR123s suck $) work for sure every time but I hate those 123s again.
Olights? I’ve had several and EVERY light something goes wrong with it and their customer service is suspect at very best. Once again, every light had a problem.
Fenix? Much more reliable than Olight but I’ve still had issues and their customer service is lacking also so I moved on.
Streamlight?never gave them a chance.
Finally tried Acebeam and haven’t looked back. Currently carry an E70 in Ti and LOVE it.

I’ve went through a shit ton of lights in my job. Surefire (CR123s suck $) work for sure every time but I hate those 123s again.
Olights? I’ve had several and EVERY light something goes wrong with it and their customer service is suspect at very best. Once again, every light had a problem.
Fenix? Much more reliable than Olight but I’ve still had issues and their customer service is lacking also so I moved on.
Streamlight?never gave them a chance.
Finally tried Acebeam and haven’t looked back. Currently carry an E70 in Ti and LOVE it.
I forgot until you mentioned them. I have a single AA ace beam that has been rock solid. Small sample size of one granted but I've been very happy with the quality for the price.

I only have one Olight, but it works well. The first one I had stopped charging, so I sent it back got a new one. That one worked fine but again had charging problems until customer service suggested I remove the magnetic end cap and disassemble and clean it. I took it apart, cleaned it and put some dielectric grease in there on all the contact areas, and its worked fine ever since. I use it almost every night out with the dog, and it sits on the table with the charger on it. The only things I don't really like is the proprietary battery and the extended charge time, which can be several hours or more when depleted.
PyUBJKv.jpg

Another light that has worked perfectly for five years now is the ArmyTek Wizard. Its pretty much bullet proof, never had an issue with it. More of a flood light, but its very bright. With the 90° head I can clip it to the placket between the snaps on a jacket or in a chest pocket and use it walking at night. With the strong magnet in the end cap it can be stuck to anything magnetic, which can make it quite useful if you are working in a place with limited light. Its been stuck to cabinet doors, car frames, tractor fenders, bolt heads, tool boxes, anywhere I need a light source.
kQvNvy5.jpg

I've noticed this when going from brand to brand. You can look at the specs on paper but there is usually nothing that tells you how tight the spot is vs. how much spill there is.

That's what the candela rating will tell you, and it should be pretty consistent, regardless of brand. People tend to focus a lot on lumens (and manufacturers hype lumens), but candela is equally important.

I recently picked up another Fenix PD25. It's one of my favorite inexpensive EDC lights, and I've had one for years that has never failed me. Figured it was time to have another, and the new ones have a few upgrades that are nice.

HQOxuO.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw that model last night and thought it would be a great replacement for my ace beam my daughter has now claimed. We had our company Christmas party last night it's in a dark fab shop ( funner than it sounds ) and I should have taken my new version LD22 but I find it hard to leave the house without the pd36r if I have cargo pockets. Works great on turbo for finding lost contacts and earnings 🤣.

I recently picked up another Fenix PD25. It's one of my favorite inexpensive EDC lights, and I've had one for years that has never failed me. Figured it was time to have another, and the new ones have a few upgrades that are nice.

HQOxuO.jpg
My buddy recently lost his LD30. Bought the PD25 as a replacement. Very nice little light.

Back