modern mountain man rifle

A compact, lightweight, weather resistant, bolt rifle in .308. Quality low powered scope. This would be my choice for something im gonna carry in the mountains If u take a heavy rifle you will yearn for something lighter. ammo is available anywhere.

Remington 700 in .270, good light rifle in a cartrage with a flat trajectory.

Took the words right out of my mouth - its what I use here in the mountains of western Canada! The other option would be a lever action 30/30 with a good peep sight - nice and fast in the bush.

Not really impractical. One reason I loved my 1895 when I had it is that the .45-70 is a slow round and does not do a lot of meat damage -- meaning it doesn't leave a lot of bloodshot meat, even if you hit bone, like a higher velocity round will do.

Nice, soft-shooting 300-gr or Remington 405-gr loads do just fine on everything in the lower 48 and HI.

There, now you have a reason to go buy a rifle you don't need. ;)

You can thank me later. :cool:

I finally got one! The 1895G. Check out Marlin Owners Forums @ http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,56.0.html .

30/30 lever action - Cuz it's what I got ;)

But it is reliable, ammos cheap, and it's powerful enough to stop most critters.

lee enfeild .303 they happen to be my favt rifle...no bs plane and simple rifle...I would take a jungle carbine mk5 other than that would a 12 guage coach gun.

Back