Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

This is an old Imperial Electrician's Knife that a friend wanted recovered. I removed the original shell scales (the plastic was broken and pieces were missing) and replaced them with nickel silver bolsters and Bocote scales. I cleaned up a lot of gunk from the blades, but left the original patina and edges.

NM5xUzZl.jpg

wkNmahol.jpg

q6hvk0cl.jpg

Mark

Couple weeks ago I picked up a couple Rough Ryder large work knives and have been thoroughly impressed with them ever since. I honestly only had intended on buying the blue jeans knife but when I saw there was a carbon blade version I jumped at it. Being that I cant leave well enough alone...the wheels got turning. I liked the blue jeans handles for an EDC knife and the yellow plastic handle for a garage/dirty job knife I figured the blue handles with a carbon blade and the yellow with a stainless would be a much better match for what I want out of each. After some eyeballing I got to work and though I did all I could to keep it simple and try to do as little as possible...an additional order from SMKW and 4 more knives later I finally have a knife that I am 110% happy with!

RR Blade Swap (1).jpg

RR Blade Swap (3).jpg

RR Blade Swap (4).jpg

The first knife I finished was PERFECT except I noticed the blade was off to the right when closed (DANG!). I realized that ALL the carbon bladed knives are like this from RR. I took it apart and ended up ruining it in my attempts to get it right. The next knife cracked the handles while I was doing the same and I set it aside. The 3rd knife was the worst from the factory and the only blue jeans handled knife that didnt have a centered blade BUT it was off to the left where the carbon bladed on was off to the right so drove its pin out and put a carbon blade in its place and it was close but not quite there. The carbon bladed knives all have a super thin washer between the blade and inner liners so I stole one and tried it. Even closer so I stacked two and BOOM...perfection. I made some tweaks to the pin, the brass bolster discs and polished the back of the blade that contacts the spring to make things smoother and stronger and the result is a centered blade that is smooth as glass to open and will hopefully last. We shall see! ALOT of work for a knife that looks identical to when I bought it other than the fact that I sanded the factory gloss off the handles. When the patina comes around itll stand out and thats what its all about.

(EDIT) OH...two of the three yellow handled knives used to rob the carbon blades from are currently having stainless blades added and will be used as tackle-box knives for myself and my Mom. Might get some scrimshaw if Im feeling adventurous enough!

Matt

Couple weeks ago I picked up a couple Rough Ryder large work knives and have been thoroughly impressed with them ever since. I honestly only had intended on buying the blue jeans knife but when I saw there was a carbon blade version I jumped at it. Being that I cant leave well enough alone...the wheels got turning. I liked the blue jeans handles for an EDC knife and the yellow plastic handle for a garage/dirty job knife I figured the blue handles with a carbon blade and the yellow with a stainless would be a much better match for what I want out of each. After some eyeballing I got to work and though I did all I could to keep it simple and try to do as little as possible...an additional order from SMKW and 4 more knives later I finally have a knife that I am 110% happy with!

View attachment 1960716

View attachment 1960717

View attachment 1960718

The first knife I finished was PERFECT except I noticed the blade was off to the right when closed (DANG!). I realized that ALL the carbon bladed knives are like this from RR. I took it apart and ended up ruining it in my attempts to get it right. The next knife cracked the handles while I was doing the same and I set it aside. The 3rd knife was the worst from the factory and the only blue jeans handled knife that didnt have a centered blade BUT it was off to the left where the carbon bladed on was off to the right so drove its pin out and put a carbon blade in its place and it was close but not quite there. The carbon bladed knives all have a super thin washer between the blade and inner liners so I stole one and tried it. Even closer so I stacked two and BOOM...perfection. I made some tweaks to the pin, the brass bolster discs and polished the back of the blade that contacts the spring to make things smoother and stronger and the result is a centered blade that is smooth as glass to open and will hopefully last. We shall see! ALOT of work for a knife that looks identical to when I bought it other than the fact that I sanded the factory gloss off the handles. When the patina comes around itll stand out and thats what its all about.

(EDIT) OH...two of the three yellow handled knives used to rob the carbon blades from are currently having stainless blades added and will be used as tackle-box knives for myself and my Mom. Might get some scrimshaw if Im feeling adventurous enough!

Matt
Well done!
I absolutely love "mad" folks like you who get an idea in their heads and chase it down mercilessly:)
I too have demonstrated similar and the win is in making your vision real. Enjoy your creation sir.

I got a matched set of Colonial Barlows and decided to re-handle them. Only the first one done so far. They are not exactly shell knives like the old Imperials were, but the bolsters are a separate pieces that are attached over the pivot pins. I only removed the back and middle pins to put on the new Wenge covers. I haven't decided what wood to use for the second one. It was a fun project and I think I'll do more of these.

When I was sanding the wood I slipped and hit the bolster. Found out the bolster was plated with chrome or nickel, not sure which. The only way to fix it was to sand off all the plating, which is why the lettering looks different on the wood one. I actually think it's an improvement as the letters are finer and more defined.

AxtdjRll.jpg

dD5pansl.jpg

OGIcwnxl.jpg

Mark

Easily my most modded knife, which is a huge part of what I love about it, is the LionSteel CK01. I love how easy it is to make and swap out bolsters and covers for it.

Here is the factory original state
lLVAqds.jpg

In-process shot.
P5r2HXB.jpg

Some spalted tamarind covers for a dressier look.
DNQvXhH.jpg

Some new pants from a piece of old oily deer bone I dug up out of a creek bed.
QHKxiuU.jpg

Nice pieces of roasted maple for some understated classiness.
TgPFcsM.jpg

New bolsters and covers to match my fixed blade.
mIXGxgu.jpg

Same bolsters matched with the original covers for a nice mint chocolate look
3qVR2wr.jpg

Easily my most modded knife, which is a huge part of what I love about it, is the LionSteel CK01. I love how easy it is to make and swap out bolsters and covers for it.

lLVAqds.jpg

In-process shot.
P5r2HXB.jpg

DNQvXhH.jpg

QHKxiuU.jpg

TgPFcsM.jpg

mIXGxgu.jpg

3qVR2wr.jpg

They all look great, but that oily deer bone checks all the boxes for me!

They all look great, but that oily deer bone checks all the boxes for me!
Thank you! The deer bone is probably my favorite as well. I had that bone laying around for quite a while and wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until it hit me that it looked like a gnarlier version of the GEC "Frontier Bone" on my #23. Really love the way it turned out once it was all done.

Excellent patch! I actually love patched up knives like these that show someone loved the knife enough to fix it up even after a significant bit of damage.

YES!!! Love seeing stuff like this. Looks like it turned out fantastic.

Matt
Thanks, guys. It's not as technically involved a repair as re-handling, but makes for a fun and easy project.

lLVAqds.jpg

In-process shot.
P5r2HXB.jpg

DNQvXhH.jpg

QHKxiuU.jpg

TgPFcsM.jpg

mIXGxgu.jpg

3qVR2wr.jpg
Those are are really cool and look really well done. The g-10 bolster is very cool👍

Back