Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

Glad to help CQ.

UnSub
If you are not set up for caustic blue I would recommend a 'Express Blue' finish.
I have Had real good luck with Mark Lees Express blue #1. I get it from Brownell's for $9.50 (4 oz.) or $20.00 (16 oz.). The key is to get the parts VERY clean and wair cloth or rubber gloves (to avoid skin oil contact) and apply in even coats.

It is easy to work with and gives a good looking and durable finish. It will take several coats but you can re do it any time with out stripping, just clean and re apply.

It only requires boiling water and fine steal wool or a soft wire brush/wheel. I apply with a paint sponge from any hardware store. it will take 5-7 coats usually to get a good finish.

I have had less than happy results with cold blues. Brownell's 'Oxie Blue' was the best I have tried but it is not very durable. Good for touch ups but I don't recommend it for complete parts of any size.

Me 'n my shovel have been kinda busy with the Driveway Widening & Enhancement Project, however I hope to have the metal in the mail to Mr. Parkerizer on Monday, 7/30/2007. :thumbup:

I gave Thawk #1 to a friend who constructed a sheath for it. I think he did a terriffic job on it. Here it is...

thawk06.jpg

bsheath01.jpg

bsheath02.jpg

bsheath03.jpg

bsheath04.jpg

great post love the idea so much i just ordered one to do the same but going to stain mine olive green and i think i will try to polish the head if i can or i will paint with flat olive paint good job
can anyone tell me the best paint remover to use for the head?

Finished the basics for my CS Trail Hawk mod - probably add a paracord wrap and a lanyard at some point. I used Minwax Red Oak stain and a single coat of satin polyurethane. The head is Krylon Ultra Flat Brown Camo - I'm not satisfied with the paint job. The paint was applied with a foam brush so it's a little uneven and I wonder how it will hold up to chopping. I didn't remove the original black paint which creates the kanji symbols for 'wood' and 'fire'. I'm going camping in Maine next week so it'll get some use and we'll see how well the paint holds up. Thanks for the tips CQ! :thumbup:

CS_Thawk.jpg

I found that an old style 30rd mag pouch for the m-16 makes a decent sheath for my trailhawk

My hawk turned out rather well. I could have spent motre time sanding out the grind lines but considering the hard use it is going to get did not bother. I just used the cheap cold blue from the local CO-OP store.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Well I'm glad someone's happy bro, 'cause I'm none too happy about the paint which I'm reasonably sure will not stand up to hard use. So I started thinkin'...and that's always a dangerous thing. I started thinking about cold bluing my next Thawk. Then I started reading up on cold bluing and my studies indicated that cold bluing suQs :( . Seriously bummed out, I turned my thoughts to my beloved Remington 870 Police Model which always makes me feel better. Then it hit me! PARKERZIE!! JUST LIKE MY 870P!!! :) Yes!!! I must PARKERIZE my next Trail Hawk speriment!!! ;) But -- alas -- 'ol Q is lazy...very lazy...very very lazy...so instead of buying a Parkerizization kit and doing a l l t h a t w o r k, I'm trying to find a local guy who can Parkerize hawk heads for me.

Or...perhaps...there is some BF member who would like me to make him a mod'ed CS Trail Hawk in exchange for Parkerization services? :D

the paint is so inexpensive to do, and only takes a couple minutes to mask off that gorgeous handle of yours and spray the thing.

ya might also try some spray BAR-B-Q paint on the head, just run some tape down the edge if ya like.

i paint right over the edge to keep rust off while the hawk is static.

the paint just peels back from where it chops.

i can't imagine an impact tool's finish will last, so ya might as well go cheap and renewable on the head, by my low-forehead's reasoning ...hehehe...!

....anywayz, i share your love for the Trail Hawk and paracord as a brother can see ...!

shortTRIFECTA1.jpg

i hope ya try out some wood burning on your handles ...that'd be great to see done....

i just found this forum, i am so happy to know that i am not the only hawk-maniac ...har...!

vec

Welcome to TomaHawkaHolics Anonymous Vec. The first step is admitting you have a problem. ;)

thank you kindly, brother 'Q.

i have a huge problem.

a couple in fact.

i admit it.

my name is vec and conditions are always a little choppy....

vec

Back