• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mods, Regrinds, Cerakote, and Sharpening

Hi, does acid stone wash remove the logos and writing on the blade? and also, what is the difference between bead blasting and sand blasting? thank you. I am considering sending in a knife as soon as i get it back from benchmade. Also, IDK if this is possible but are you able to "smooth out" a pivot? like if my knife opens rough do you have the tools to make it open smoother? is that even possible haha. And this might be a dumb question, but once a blade is acid stone washed to be very dark, is it possible to still get the blade laser etched with a logo or picture? or does the acid wash make the blade not take the laser etching? thanks.

Last edited:
Acid wash and stoned will remove laser markings like those on Benchmade and ZT, but is won't remove laser engraving like those on Spyderco unless you let it sit in the acid for a long time like days.

Here is an example of acid stone wash on PM2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you remove the compound grind on the new ZT0055? i like the knife but i dont like compound grinds so i was wondering if it would be possible to regrind it to a regular non-compound blade

Hi, does acid stone wash remove the logos and writing on the blade? and also, what is the difference between bead blasting and sand blasting? thank you. I am considering sending in a knife as soon as i get it back from benchmade. Also, IDK if this is possible but are you able to "smooth out" a pivot? like if my knife opens rough do you have the tools to make it open smoother? is that even possible haha. And this might be a dumb question, but once a blade is acid stone washed to be very dark, is it possible to still get the blade laser etched with a logo or picture? or does the acid wash make the blade not take the laser etching? thanks.

Wiredbeans has it correct, if the marking is laser engraved (i.e. Has some depth into the steel) it won't be removed. I can take a look at your pivot and see if I can fine tune it for sure :)

can you remove the compound grind on the new ZT0055? i like the knife but i dont like compound grinds so i was wondering if it would be possible to regrind it to a regular non-compound blade

Sure that's not a problem.

Hey bud, could you message me about getting a blade I have regrind? Just so you know it's a zero tolerance 0100 that I want a flat grind put on. Thank you much ! I've been putting off getting it done for a while. Look forward to hearing from you

Hey bud, could you message me about getting a blade I have regrind? Just so you know it's a zero tolerance 0100 that I want a flat grind put on. Thank you much ! I've been putting off getting it done for a while. Look forward to hearing from you

Won't let me pm or email you... Shoot me an email and we can discuss josh@razoredgeknives.com

Great work on the etched Stonewash. It turned out better than I had hoped. Thanks!!
59b53519971ebca08ef953d0699bcf6c.jpg
c30d21e71fc5d9f4dd9c6e9cbdc85e08.jpg

Did some sweet work on this Grayman SATU, convex regrind to remove the recurve, added choil, orange peeled the ti then heat ano'd it bronze.

IMG_20170112_130006-X2.jpg

Tom Brown Tracker

IMG_20170119_220748-X2.jpg

Cold Steel Master Hunter, full convex zero w/ a micro applied on the Wicked Edge

IMG_20170116_210925-X2.jpg

Small CRK Inkosi

IMG_20170119_234910-X2.jpg

Small CRK Inkosi

IMG_20170119_234910-X2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Josh you never stop to amaze me! That's a good looking bevel! What angle is this one at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Small CRK Inkosi
Josh you never stop to amaze me! That's a good looking bevel! What angle is this one at?

I think it's around 18 dps but don't recall exactly =)

After seeing some of Josh's work on here and getting a Spyderco Farid K2 I decided it was time to take the plunge I sent a couple blades (Spyderco Farid K2 and Benchmade 710 in M390) to Josh for some regrind and sharpening love.

Here are the admittedly poor photos. I will try for better ones later. Meanwhile see what he did at my request:
20160111_190756 by rapt_up, on Flickr

The trailing point was what kept me from the K2 initially although Ankerson's review finally swayed me. The tip would get caught on things I didn't want to cut a lot when using it. So I asked Josh to drop point it and while we were at it, to thin the blade to improve its already impressive cutting. He took it too about .010" at the shoulders with a 13dps grind and a 17dps micro bevel. This knife is sharp, so sharp that when trying to whittle hair it just severed it completely. (This is his regular 1000 grit edge, nothing fancy ., no polish etc...)

The 710 is a special knife, in size and feel, it just seemed too "thick" so I asked josh to thin and give it some distal taper, taking down to around .007" at the shoulder with 15dps. This one with the thin blade makes an awesome slicer... I can slice hairs guiding the cut as it splits the hair, this also just has his regular 1000 grit edge on it.. This will soon have a pair of Keyman holey scales in ivory snake Juma. :)
20160111_190916 by rapt_up, on Flickr
You can see how thin the bevel is in this shot
20160111_191006 by rapt_up, on Flickr

Of course both get the regrind logo. :) I am so pleased with these. And being as both tested very hard for their production ranges they should hold edges and cut for a long long time.

Josh they are awesome !!! Thank you again!

Here are some more photos of the 710 in its final form
20160229_203530 by rapt_up, on Flickr
20160229_203453 by rapt_up, on Flickr

Josh, I had sent you a message asking your thoughts about the mechanics of doing a full-height grind on a 940. You recommended I not try it and said you wouldn't because of the thumbstud, but I just saw this. Is that a hollow grind? This is what I had envisioned in my head of the 940.

Thanks dude that's awesome! Greatly appreciated!

Josh, I had sent you a message asking your thoughts about the mechanics of doing a full-height grind on a 940. You recommended I not try it and said you wouldn't because of the thumbstud, but I just saw this. Is that a hollow grind? This is what I had envisioned in my head of the 940.

This one is a flat grind but either way it wouldn't work on the 940 because the existing stud location and grind limits what I can do unfortunately...

Josh,
Just sent you a email for information on
Sharpening options and prices since I am
A little bit confused with the information
On your website. But basically I'm looking
For what options for sharpening that you
Offer and the prices of each option and the
Cost of returning the knives to me. My zip
Code is 87104 and the knives I'm looking to
get sharpened are a Spyderco PM2 in S30V
And a ZT 0560 in ELMAX these are my EDC
knives so I'd like them as sharp as I can get
Them to be I know you offer machine,wicked
Edge and hand sharpening so I'd like the
Priced of each and any other options you
May offer and does your machine sharpening
Consist of just a electric knife sharpener or
Is it different ? Also what do you recommend?
Again thank's for your time and hope to hear
From you soon

Frank

Josh,
I forgot to ask but I think it might have been
Asked before but do you have to disassemble
The knives to sharpen them ? If so do you
Clean and oil the knife When you are done
sharpening it? If so what oil or lubricant
Do you use? Even if you don't take the knives
Apart to sharpen them do you still clean and
Oil the knives and do you charge for doin so ?
Thanks again

Frank

Josh,
I forgot to ask but I think it might have been
Asked before but do you have to disassemble
The knives to sharpen them ? If so do you
Clean and oil the knife When you are done
sharpening it? If so what oil or lubricant
Do you use? Even if you don't take the knives
Apart to sharpen them do you still clean and
Oil the knives and do you charge for doin so ?
Thanks again

Frank

Hey Frank, I responded to your email this morning :) the machine sharpening is done on a belt sander, and no I don't have to disassemble to sharpen although I can if you need me to. Yes I generally charge $15/knife for disassembly and cleaning. Thanks bud!

Hey josh,
Yes I just saw that and I'm in the process
Of replying to you now but I think based
Upon your email I will have to send one
Folder in at a time most likely the PM2
And then my 0560 since you recommended
The regrind and I wanted to see if you any
Pictures of any 0560 with both the 60 grit
And 220 grit regrind so that I can make a
decision as to which option I would like to
Go with on the 0560... and Im leaning towards
The 5 dollar wicked edge option with the free
Machine reprofile since you said that it would
Take off the least amount of steel and is the
More aggressive edge and last the longest !

Frank

Back