Mora carbon coating?

I've got A LOT of Moras. I love and use them all.

I just picked up a 3-pack of 511 with sheathes. The carbon looks like a coating, and it's unfinished on the spine. What am I seeing?

(I'm not able to attach images for some reason. It will only allow me to attach links.)

it's unfinished on the spine. What am I seeing?

Mora doesn't really finish the spines on a lot of their knives. If you want to for example use the spine as a scraper or strike a ferro rod with it, then you will have to flatten a portion of the spine yourself to get the sharp corners required. This is normal.

The carbon looks like a coating

Carbon steel is carbon steel. The carbon is part of the overall content of the steel. The carbon isn't just some extra coating on the outside.

The carbon looks like a coating, and it's unfinished on the spine. What am I seeing?
Could be they didn't finish the coating in factory and you suppose to do it by yourself.
Just leave the knives in salty water overnight to get noble reddish brown coating.

Mora doesn't really finish the spines on a lot of their knives. If you want to for example use the spine as a scraper or strike a ferro rod with it, then you will have to flatten a portion of the spine yourself to get the sharp corners required. This is normal.

Carbon steel is carbon steel. The carbon is part of the overall content of the steel. The carbon isn't just some extra coating on the outside.
Yes, well aware, which is why I think something is afoot with these. There's unfinished, and then there's a strange peeling coating. These are going back. Perhaps to China.

Last edited:
Back