Review Mora Garberg

A) I wont make excuses for poor performance or cover it up !
B) I own hundreds of knives , some are superb / some are rubbish / some are middle of the road
C) I can hand sharpen , I did so for 30+ years ( It's a PITA )
D) There are two kinds of sharp
1) Sharp
2) Stays sharp
E) These days I will use what ever method gives me Stays Sharp !
F) I would love to see a test , hand sharpening VS the rest for - wait for it - Stays Sharp ! Anyone should be able to make a knife sharp , the difference is how long it stays sharp . But I take Stays Sharp seriously ! This is 2023 not 1923 .. Surely knives should be capable of staying sharp a reasonable time ? And I can't speak for anyone else or their knife , especially as they have most likely never done a repeatable / consistent edge retention test .
The reality is , 150 on the rope is not a good result . Especially for a knife that is not budget ! ( Here in Oz ) The garberg is a $150+ knife , and my humble opinion should perform like a $150+ knife & not like a $15 knife .

Now now, don't get stroppy!

good to know though... I'll put my AUD elsewhere thanks to this

I think it's fair comment to say that the garberg is overpriced for what it is. On top of that, Australians already get double shafted on prices for a lot of things that we get cheaper in the US and EU. It's a complaint that I often hear.

But holy hell, chill the šŸ¤¬ out. And please leave that poor defenseless rope alone.

I think it's fair comment to say that the garberg is overpriced for what it is. On top of that, Australians already get double shafted on prices for a lot of things that we get cheaper in the US and EU. It's a complaint that I often hear.

But holy hell, chill the šŸ¤¬ out. And please leave that poor defenseless rope alone.
Oh no .... That rope is the proverbial sacrificial Lamb !
It's sole reason for existing is to get the chop ( or slice in this case ) ..
Yes yes , that poor rope .. Cut to thousands and thousand of pieces till there is naught left .
But if not for that Brave rope , we would not know what's good and what's not .
Shoulders back / chest out / and salute the rope ! It gives so much and asks for so little . ( Whilst others ask for so much and give so little )
Oh , and I highly recommend the Spyderco SPY27 mule for 60 US Bananas ... ( Now that's a knife - ok a blade ) That reminds me ......

For the record, the Garberg (carbon) is 66$ US with poly sheath. Should be around 80$ US in Australia. If you paid more, you got ripped off.

Hmmm , it's been sharpened ! Many times ...
And it consistently fails at 150 ...
And this Garberg is ( what I would consider ) on the soft side .. ( For Knife Steel )
And soft knives tend to be rather consistent with their failure points ..

A knife with a crispy edge or crusty edge would return a Variable result .. ( In my experience )
And that Micro bevel , should have performed better if it was just a case of Crispy Crusty . ( Why I put it there )
I think Morakniv makes very nice $10 knives , but this knife is not a $10 knife . It performs like a $10 knife & in some cases possibly worse .
In the USA the Garberg is 8 to 9 times more than a basic .. ?????????????? Do you get that much more knife ? Do you get even double that ?
Anyways , I'm done with the Garberg , it's gotten more chances to do something than most other knives .
It will be for ever a Overpriced / Under Performing knife to me .
I guess I might just have too many knives to compare it to . (?) Is there any such thing as too many ?

This might be off-topic, but as a "cheap knife" fan (Mora and Opinel in my case), I decided some time ago to keep away from their more expensive offerings. I do not think these knives excel in that area of the market and we all end up paying the (inflated) price. There is nothing the most expensive Mora can do that the Robust Pro cannot. There is nothing the newfangled plastic handled Opinel NĀ°8 can do that my old beechwood Carbone models cannot (except whistle loudly, which I can do with my fingers).

For the extra dough, I will just buy a different knife.

Zieg

This might be off-topic, but as a "cheap knife" fan (Mora and Opinel in my case), I decided some time ago to keep away from their more expensive offerings. I do not think these knives excel in that area of the market and we all end up paying the (inflated) price. There is nothing the most expensive Mora can do that the Robust Pro cannot. There is nothing the newfangled plastic handled Opinel NĀ°8 can do that my old beechwood Carbone models cannot (except whistle loudly, which I can do with my fingers).

For the extra dough, I will just buy a different knife.

Zieg

Excellent point.

Hard to get a stainless knife that is at the same level as a Garberg for the same price.

I mean common. Would be knives like Gerber. Mulay or elk Ridge.

Hmmm , what's better and costs less than $150 Australian republic bananas ?
Almost every knife I have tested .. ( Reviews posted )

I couldn't find a knife mentioned. Which 66$ knife performs better?

That knife = https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/unboxing-first-impression-gerber-mansfield-d2-scandi.1922917/ Gerber Mansfield D2 Scandi , less than half the price and over 3 times the performance .
Is that 600% better value ?

Another knife that is better value .. Spyderco Mule SPY27 , $60USD and mine did 1150 slices // That's one thousand one hundred & fifty slices ...
Head on over to Spyderco ... Buy a hell of a knife while you can . ( Free plug for Spyderco )

Last edited:
Hmmm , what's better and costs less than $150 Australian republic bananas ?
Almost every knife I have tested .. ( Reviews posted )

That knife = https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/unboxing-first-impression-gerber-mansfield-d2-scandi.1922917/ Gerber Mansfield D2 Scandi , less than half the price and over 3 times the performance .
Is that 600% better value ?
Not gonna lie, that Gerber Mansfield looked so good I just bought it. Time will tell if it's that good. Tax+shipping+knife= $25.77 USD from GerberGear.com... You paid $45.55 USD, Australia straight robs you all.

Another knife that is better value .. Spyderco Mule SPY27 , $60USD and mine did 1150 slices // That's one thousand one hundred & fifty slices ...
Head on over to Spyderco ... Buy a hell of a knife while you can . ( Free plug for Spyderco )
Looks slicey as all hell. Any videos of it feather sticking, carving, etc? I use my Garberg for feather sticking and carving notches for pot hangers and some mild shelter crafting (sometimes). The sharpened spine is really nice for making wood dust. And it's very light for the size. All around, it's the best design I've seen. Not the best material, but the best design. If Tops partnered with them and made a 1095 version with Tops heat treat and no other changes, I'd pay $150USD in a heart beat.

The spine is crisp , so should ferro and scrape wood ..
Feather sticking , hmmmm . I haven't tried that as I put a very nice 80 grit grind on it that is being saved for the rope ..
It should be capable of fire making , but how sweet will it be ?
The privilege of living in Oz = We get ripped !
Pre Ebay , it was far worse .. Some items like cameras were a 1000% RIP !
I remember as soon as the internet started I was hunting overseas for items , back then .. You had to search basic text listings ( Pre Ebay ) .
I was shocked to see how cheap 35mm cameras were in the USA and Europe . ( That 1000% )

PS / I did email Spyderco ( what good that will do ) and suggested a more bushcrafty MULE ..
I would love ( No Really ) , a Bushcraft MULE !

Last edited:
Back