• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad More Scalpers, for-profit flippers and eBay sellers than ever. Whats with the blind eye?

"I knew I couldn’t count on you guys for a damn thing. You may be ok getting ripped off but I’m not, how do you have a forum like this with no manner of help or recourse except don’t get mad about it."

How to guarantee you’ll be a victim for life: “It’s someone else’s responsibility to protect me, why aren’t they doing more?” What a dingus.

Thank you, JJ, on behalf of myself and my colleagues.

I agree that the moderators are doing a great job !

Kettleman Kettleman - I agree with you. But look at it this way:

These flippers spend 24/7 in their mom's basement in front of a computer screen, scouting the Exchange, Reddit, FB, ebay, etc., for a deal, following up on all of the latest drops at DLT and other dealers, clicking refresh thousands of times a day ... just to make, what, 20-50 bucks a day ? And every so often, they get scammed, too.

It's a sad picture, takes our knife addiction to a whole new level ..... Maybe an exaggerated image for some, but the image helps me :)

Roland.

IMHO there’s no blind eye. Folks just need to open their eyes and use some common sense. It ain’t rocket science.

I agree that the moderators are doing a great job !

Kettleman Kettleman - I agree with you. But look at it this way:

These flippers spend 24/7 in their mom's basement in front of a computer screen, scouting the Exchange, Reddit, FB, ebay, etc., for a deal, following up on all of the latest drops at DLT and other dealers, clicking refresh thousands of times a day ... just to make, what, 20-50 bucks a day ? And every so often, they get scammed, too.

It's a sad picture, takes our knife addiction to a whole new level ..... Maybe an exaggerated image for some, but the image helps me :)

Roland.
Professional flippers (which I think there are very few here) automate the process

This has been going on in watches and other collectibles for a decade and counting if not longer

Professional flippers (which I think there are very few here) automate the process

This has been going on in watches and other collectibles for a decade and counting if not longer

Makes sense. I know it for cameras / lenses .... easy to spend $5k upwards for a good lens, just like watches.

I was, briefly, part of a forum which shall go unnamed except to mention that it was a private forum. The forum built up a culture such that things sold on their exchange always went at a fair price, and usually with a buddy discount. It didn’t really require much moderation, but it was by invitation only, and the participants were invested in the forum. The downside, of course, is that popularity wained without the ability to attract new random blood.

BFs biggest strength and greatest weakness is that it’s open to the public.

sadly this has been the norm for some time now. I got to see how bad it was when I browsed while logged out just to see all the names Ive put on the ignore list. Its a lot flippers and scalpers these days. the hobby isnt what it used to be and that could be moderns, traditional etc.

DEALER / MATERIALS PROVIDER - Dealers are defined as anyone who purchases at wholesale pricing, or purchases items with the intent to resell (flipping). Other terms for dealers include purveyor, broker, reseller, etc. Materials Providers offer raw materials such as steel, handle materials, or other items related to knifemaking in general as typical stock for sale to the forum members or to the general public via their own store front or website. We reserve the right to make the final determination as to what constitutes a "dealer".

Is this still a thing? Im just wondering because the exchange has gone to shit with all the eBay sellers , for profit flippers and scalpers. It doesn't actually affect me any longer as I am moving on and will only buy and sell with friends behind the scenes, but it sure is sad to watch a once vital part of the community wither and die.

I would think with the implementation of following of the image limits , enforcing this might be a way to counteract some of the angst long time members are feeling. Or maybe just enforce all the rules because its the right thing to do?

I saw a freaking flipper this morning thats been a member for 6 weeks with over 70 deals...really, thats not a dealer?

We actually have a member listing knives here and advertising that if you buy from him on Reddit you will get a better price! Really?

We have well know members buying to here to stock eBay stores...WTF?

All of these types of things take fairly priced knives out of the community. How can that be considered good for Blade Forums?

Oh well, consider this the last post I make on this subject before burning my soap box, I give up.
How can you stop it?

If she's reading BF, the jig is already up. 🤣

In all seriousness, if I can look up how much someone's house was purchased for, I really feel like a knife isn't that big of a deal.
I agree

Back