Photos Most recent trip...

Andy the Aussie

Platinum Member
Gold Member
....spent a week away chasing deer and hogs, normally the top day temps would be 20 or so C and below 10C over night. That damn week was over 30C each day and only down to 17-20C over night. property is also in the grip of drought. Hunting all week and didn't fire a shot, not because I didn't see anything, just no buck that was large enough and no meat as it was too hot to be fugging around with. Saw one big boar (and a bunch of little hogs) but he was motoring and when I did have him lined up has was skylining back toward my camp. Cunning prick..!!

A few pics...

A small buck, silly bugger, all about the girls at this point....

I was climbing a steep section and stopped to breathe (read gasping for air and bent over at the waist)...there right between my legs....

....scared the crap out of me as I thought it was a WHOLE Brown Snake..!

...turns out it is a shed from a Black Snake.

A couple of hogs I shot up here in a flying visit in late February.... you can see how dry it was then !! About 4 inches of rain fell between them and this visit but still not enough to get it right !!

Due to the weather there was perhaps a bit to much of this...

The next two are taken from the same spot just 90 degs apart, sitting over a rutting stand to see what the dominant buck looks like...

.... he was actually a nice buck that someone would be happy with, he was busy chasing away smaller bucks and I was too busy watching him to take pics of it all unfolding...LOL

Late one afternoon looking up where I was the day before (that high point opposite). The snake and buck above where not far from the top there...

And the view further down the valley from up there...

I will try and work on the videos at some point.

That's some nice looking hunting country. Pretty green at the moment!

I suspect the game animals have some kind of early warning system in place and most of them vacate the area as soon as they hear you're coming.

It must have been nice to get out and about even if you didn't get anything. Thanks for posting ! :thumbsup:

Beautiful area. Always love your posts and stories!

Last edited:
Great pics !!!! Thanks for sharing
Beautiful country you have there. But you can keep the snakes lol, I’m really not a fan of those lol

Beautiful! It does look hot dry!

Due to the weather there was perhaps a bit to much of this... LOL! That's pretty funny - not possible, but funny! :D

Thanks for the great photos, Andy. Rutting Stand? Done a bit of that myself, but only in a bed; on a couch; and in the back seat of an automobile.

Last edited:
When I grow up I want to be you. I swear I think you see more cool country in one of your week long adventures than I will see in my entire life. Super jealous. Thanks for sharing with us.

Garth

I’ll send rain—we’re tired of it!

Nice trip and photos—always fun to see horns.

Thanks for sharing Andy, I love reading your stories and seeing your hunt pix!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks all, it is a spectacular piece of country. I have hunted it for 35yrs now..!!! It has a nice green tinge to it but it needs lots more rain before winter bites, and I don't think that will come to be honest. I am back up there in a few weeks... :D :D :D can't wait !! Even if the hunting is ordinary, it beats the hell out of working of living here on the fringe of suburbia.... !!!!!

I will see if I can get some video uploaded. I did actually see a pile of bucks (it's that type of year) but, well, I was too bust with binoculars to take pictures...LOL

Also figured we would see an ASH1 in action.
.... there were TWO with me... ;) And Tuica.... many years ago I did ask a new girlfriend to come into my house so I could show off my "Rutting Stand" - she readily agreed with no idea what it actually meant at the time.... I saw her only a few years ago and she still tells the story (with great humour I would add).

Great story, Andy. Thanks. Glad you had a good time. Terrain looks somewhat similar to several areas where I spent some growing up - and upland bird/ deer hunting time - in California, Oregon, and Washington.

Last edited:
Back