Moving away from folders towards fixed blades

While I still usually carry a folder, I must say that whenever I carry a fixed blade as well, I find myself having a tendency to reach for the fixed blade first. Particularly when I'm hiking, where my main cutting tasks are carving a walking stick or my snack at the peak (actually usually breakfast for me). When cutting food items, not having to worry about gunking up a pivot and the ability to quickly rinse and wipe the knife clean without much thought is a huge convenience.

Something I've toyed with, and have been recently carrying around the house on occasion, is the fixed blade/SAK/mini-auto combo. SAK for the tools, fixed for slicing tasks, and the mini-auto as a quick grab package opener.

tWhwq3I.jpg

Last edited:
The Medium sized Raptor with high hollow ground blade arrived today, quite nice, the bobtail fob on both of them I feel is a must to make it more practical to hang onto as well as draw from the sheaths. So I guess that would make them a Practical Tactical Pterodacty 😇

The bottom one is their Mini Bowie in S45vn steel

They included calling card with info about the knife, a couple of peppermint candies...they seem to be gone now ;) a few stickers. This new model I have today is made using Magnacut steel with a rockwell of 63-64

and while this isn't a Pterodactyl or a Raptor, it is a dinosaur that was sent along with the knife and their stamp inside the box says these knives never go extinct :)

Thanks again to T TacticalPterodactylKnives

G2

Last edited:
Still searching, I am still working towards that goal, I am carrying a lighter neck knife
G2
For those not following along, I have my Tactical Pterodactyl Raptor up for sale right now 😇

Last edited:
Still searching, I am still working towards that goal, I am carrying a lighter neck knife
G2
For those not following along, I have my Tactical Pterodactyl up for sale right now 😇
So I thought you had two of them, so did you keep one? The search continues.

The Bowie was sold already and now the Raptor is up for sale

G2

I really like small fixed blades, I mean small, OAL not exceeding 7.5 inches, they really are useful. Outside of bushcraft and stabbing godzilla, they really are all you need. They are like fixed folding knives. They're just a tad harder to find because everything needs to be big enough to grow Pinocchio's second nose. But occasionally one pops up, like the demko armiger 2. Now that's shmall!

you need to look at horizontal belt sheaths - they are excellent to avoid your pocket slicing habit ; )
Horsewright Horsewright imho makes some of the best ones

Oh, I've been admiring Horsewright Horsewright 's work for some time. This year I've been on a rifle/handgun tear (as much of a tear as my income allows, which isn't much). I have one of his knives/sheaths for next year, maybe.

To be honest, I admire good leatherwork even more than particular knives or, to a degree, guns, and he makes me wish I was sitting on a horse (a bad idea for someone with my back problems). Many years back, almost all the leather I carried was from El Paso Saddlery, and I think his work is even more impressive.

Some day, if I live long enough and blade laws in TN don't change again. The legislature pretty much threw all the old laws out, but nature abhors a vacuum.

Back