MPT lands in Hawaii!

Nice Pics Mr. Daywalker!!!

Couldn't detect your number
Mine is 0067 :p

Mahalo Take Care and rustig aan!!!

Today i resharpended my MPT on a 204 spyderco set .This was after redoing the tip on my dmt stone (cause i slipped on a messy job and had a liitle chip in the second/ tip edge as i bumped into a metal barrel causing serious chip at the tip). After that some good old fashioned leather stroppin'.

Allthough some steel snobs tend to say AUS 8 steel is inferior i'll have to dissagree. My mpt did perform over a month with hard use. I think Boker did a good job on the hrc treatment. Every steal can take a certain amount of stress but hitting a steal barrel with the amount of pressure applied by me cutting true some very nasty kevlarish spanner bands i wondered that it was only sutch a small chip luckily not at the very tip..;)

I have to say that this knife is very tough . Contrarely it sharpenss like a breeze. I think now i managed to get it sharper as coming out of the factory.. I got an edge on it that tree tops hair without touching skin.

It is too sharp freaks me out :eek:

:rolleyes: may be i'll try a shave with it morrow mornin'...

thanx for the MPT updates Maarten.... I pulled the trigger on one today.... ;) the plainedge satin one.....I've got the Subcom folder (several actually), Wharcom, Trance.... all in AUS-8.....all arrived shaving sharp.... and i maintain them with a leather strop.....I havent' found a CLB design I didn't like.... :thumbup:

Hi Jaislandboy,

For the money you can't get wrong. You will find out when it hits your home. CHAD IS THE MAN :) LOL...!!!!

Especially you will find out about the ergonomics of this one the handle; is true art. I wish boker/chad would bring out a little fixed warncliff style one as the notorious Dr. Snub proposed.

Take Care
A friend from Holland

Nice Pics Mr. Daywalker!!!

Couldn't detect your number
Mine is 0067 :p

Mahalo Take Care and rustig aan!!!

Hiya Maarten,

Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I cannot wait to see jaislandboy's potterma pimped MPT!:eek:

anyway, I have MPT Gray # 0174 as my user, but I do have # 0002 in my Gawk Box!;)

Odd you mentioned about resharpening...I had to demolish a couch a few weeks ago, and used the MPT Gray to cut through/off all the material before I sawed that couch in two to get it out of the house. I know I hit staples and such holding the material to the couch. Not a chip in the blade, but I did manage to run it dull.

A few swipes on my spyderco 701 Pro-File set, then a strop on the sheath for these stones made it like a lightsaber! Especially the secondary edge, being the tip...spooky sharp!:thumbup:

Glad you are enjoying your MPT...and thanks for all your posts!
God bless:cool:

Hi Chad,

NOW you making me very curious about this pimped one.

So Jaislandboy if your reading this: WE WANT PICTURES !!!!!!!!
LOL

As english is not my native speaking language i might 've been over doing it by calling it a chip on the edge might be you call it a small dent???
Anyway no traces left after resharpnin . I did hit a steel barrel when my arm swung out and NOT slightly but mayor impact...

Chad keep us posted of your new brain broodling fantastic super duper warncliff fixie desings????
:)

So Jaislandboy if your reading this: WE WANT PICTURES !!!!!!!!
LOL ....

ok Maarten, ask and you shall receive! :)
Got this yesterday.... and its another great design from Chad.... :thumbup: love the grinds....i'm a big fan of recurves....the sheath fits really snug on the blade....very nice fit.. the factory edge arrived pleasingly sharp..... the "soft" raised "ribs" / texturing on the otherwise "firm" handle offer great purchase.... here's some pix for Maarten.... comparison photo with my Potterma pimped Black CF SubcomF "Biscuit"....Well done CLB! :cool:

mpt016cq7.jpg

mpt001cm8.jpg

mpt002ek7.jpg

mpt014fc2.jpg

mpt005lz9.jpg

Nice pix Jaislandboy!!! Well i was in the presumption that you had the MPT pimped by mr. potterma. I was wondering how he would do that to this one; with the injection molded handle. But your one looks just as fine as mine. I do Love your super duper extra super duper CF Biscuit. LOL

I hope you'll enjoy these ones as much as I do!!!:p

I was also like chad curiously surprized at how easily the tip is resharpened and how wickedly sharp it gets... You will find out.

I was wondering if the 701 spydie set would be better for these recurved blades as the stones aren't triangle but rounded at the corners.?? If you have a 701 set could you chime in at that mather later?? I did mine at the 204 set and sharpening went excellent but i was just wondering about these 701 ones.

The only little problem is i'm searching for these G L shaped or rubber beltloops for fixing it IWB to my belt. I find the small tecklock to small for my belts and the large one would be overdoing and to obstrusive.

I found out ordering a slab of kydex and doing it myself would be to expensive as i can find no retailer here in europe/ the netherlands.

But well enjoy your weekend and find out yourself about the delights of this nice fixed one.

HOWDIE
Maarten

I was wondering if the 701 spydie set would be better for these recurved blades as the stones aren't triangle but rounded at the corners.?? If you have a 701 set could you chime in at that mather later?? I did mine at the 204 set and sharpening went excellent but i was just wondering about these 701 ones....

thanx Maarten , sorry i don't own a 701 spydie set....yet....
I have the best luck sharpening hawkbills with round (dowel shaped) ceramic sticks (the ones that resemble "sharpening steels").....
but before i even use that, I'll just strop the blade on a piece of leather loaded with veritas green chromium oxide that i glued onto a wooden dowel.... usually that's all I'll need to do unless i chip the edge.... good luck on finding those rubber beltloops... :eek:
I like the CF Subcom a lot too.... Potterma is highly recommended for adding some bling to your CLB blades.... ;)

Got MPT the other week and have to say that pictures just don't do this one justice. It has to be handled to really appreciate how well designed this knife really is. The handle feels at home in every grip and the ergos are awesome as usual, as it is expected of CLB knives:) The balance is really nice and feels very good. Blade shape is as far as i'm concerned just amazing ,plus it holds edge very nicely and is easy to resharpen (I prefer AUS 8 over harder steels anyway, because if i intend to use a knife, i'll have to resharpen it some day and i much rather sharpen AUS 8 then something harder). It really is easy to make MPT scary sharp. The sheath is very well build and feels nice and secure. A real pleasure to carry. It just feels right. It really doesn't matter which way i carry it, because the handle is short and it doesn't poke at all. If MPT is used as a great SD knife or a user, its a winer in every way. A very well made knife and a superb design without a doubt. The moment i took MPT out of the box it became my favorite and after some use, i have to say that this has to be the best knife i own. I love it!!! Great job, Chad!

I was wondering if the 701 spydie set would be better for these recurved blades as the stones aren't triangle but rounded at the corners.?? If you have a 701 set could you chime in at that mather later?? I did mine at the 204 set and sharpening went excellent but i was just wondering about these 701 ones.

HOWDIE
Maarten

Hallo Maarten,

The 701 stones I have been using for awhile now...since about, '97 IIRC. They are good for pretty much every blade shape I have come across since then. Be advised, that the 701 *does* have a small radius, or corner, like the Sharpmaker. Very versatile stones.;)

God bless and mahallo:cool:

more pix....

mpt007pg5.jpg

mpt009pg7.jpg

mpt013jw8.jpg

mpt008zi2.jpg

mpt018uy5.jpg

Suh-WeeeeeeeT pics Knifebro!

I figured it'd have some kinda potterma handle by now!;) BTW, is that a #0039 ya got there? Happy to hear ya like the MPT, and shoot...we should do a serial number shout out or something...I am curious who has what number.:p

Take care, and God bless!:cool:

Got MPT the other week and have to say that pictures just don't do this one justice. It has to be handled to really appreciate how well designed this knife really is. The handle feels at home in every grip and the ergos are awesome as usual, as it is expected of CLB knives:) The balance is really nice and feels very good. Blade shape is as far as i'm concerned just amazing ,plus it holds edge very nicely and is easy to resharpen (I prefer AUS 8 over harder steels anyway, because if i intend to use a knife, i'll have to resharpen it some day and i much rather sharpen AUS 8 then something harder). It really is easy to make MPT scary sharp. The sheath is very well build and feels nice and secure. A real pleasure to carry. It just feels right. It really doesn't matter which way i carry it, because the handle is short and it doesn't poke at all. If MPT is used as a great SD knife or a user, its a winer in every way. A very well made knife and a superb design without a doubt. The moment i took MPT out of the box it became my favorite and after some use, i have to say that this has to be the best knife i own. I love it!!! Great job, Chad!

Aloha Knifebro,

Glad you are enjoying the MPT. Good point on the AUS8.:p It is no secret that I have been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time fan of this steel.

Hmmmmm, I am wondering what kind of "things" you have cut with it...chocolate cake? Chocolate brownies? Bustin' open some kinder eggs? Older brother?:D (Hey, hey...kidding on the older brother!!!)

Take care, God bless, and keep in touch, ah?:cool:

Hallo Maarten,

The 701 stones I have been using for awhile now...since about, '97 IIRC. They are good for pretty much every blade shape I have come across since then. Be advised, that the 701 *does* have a small radius, or corner, like the Sharpmaker. Very versatile stones.;)

God bless and mahallo:cool:

Well chad thanks for the info. According to the instructions on the 204 set by Sal you should only sharpen recurves and hawkbills on the corners.
To me this is fine but leaves a tat to coarse finish: It is sharp and bity but as i am a bit anal about my edges i now strop them afterwards. With the curved sides of the 701 set i think i can get them almost as sharp as with stroppin on leather which i do now after the 204 flick.

I AM SHOUTIN' ......0067

thanks again
mahalo maarten:cool:

Well chad thanks for the info. According to the instructions on the 204 set by Sal you should only sharpen recurves and hawkbills on the corners.
To me this is fine but leaves a tat to coarse finish: It is sharp and bity but as i am a bit anal about my edges i now strop them afterwards. With the curved sides of the 701 set i think i can get them almost as sharp as with stroppin on leather which i do now after the 204 flick.

I AM SHOUTIN' ......0067

thanks again
mahalo maarten:cool:

Aloha Maarten,

Yep...stropping does wonders sometimes!;) After I use my 701, I usually use the sheath the stones come in to strop!:D

Cripes!!! Scared me with that font...how about we do a seperate MPT serial number shout out? I am curious to see who has what numbers. (Corny I know, but it's my first serial numbered design.:p)

God bless and tot gauw:cool:

Back