Mr Strider, thank you for the SnG.

The Tourist

Banned
Mick,

I just received my new SnG2, serial number 049, from TAD yesterday. I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up your dainties; this is a great knife, no question about it.

But believe this. I'm a gun guy, not a knife guy. In 1997, I went out to buy a good jackknife, not start a collection. I usally had a knife during my life-time, most often a Buck 110 or a stilleto.

Like most guys of that era, I started with a chisel grind tanto because most people said it was the best. It didn't fit all of my needs, so I tried a double-bevel tanto, and the expensive search was on!

I love my AR, but I believe that an EDC should really mean 'everyday.' While I did carry it EDC, it's a bit big for dress pants at church on Sabbath.

HAD I BOUGHT AN SnG IN 1997, I would have stopped, and not become a knife collector! This is the knife I needed.

Message to Gary Swenson: On the ricasso, my knife is lightly stamped with a small Strider name and an equally light stamp 049. It has been re-stamped with a bigger and heavier font. The double-strike is clearly seen. Horror of horrors! The knife is not perfect! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Thank YOU.
If it wasn't for folks like yourself, i would have a gun in my hands right now instead of typing this to you.
Not that i don't miss that job, but i LOVE this one.

Note on the stamps....
There was a time when we hand stamped every blade.
When we had to hire someone to stamp full time, we got a stamper.
Some times (usually) it has a little ghost stamp along with the actual one.

Some day we'll get it right!:mad:

m

Mick,

I hope that you can tell by the tone of my post that this double-strike thingie means nothing. Trust me, no Strider guy is going to send the knife back!

The bevel on 049 was perfect, equal shape and size, both sides, front to back. The knife was delivered sharp as a razor. I put a drop of CLP-Breakfree into the pivot and stuck the knife in my blue jeans. Maybe next Christmas I'll detail strip the knife and clean the action. Maybe not. :D

I could tell,
Im not worried about it from a function standpoint, but I do understand people can become upset about the appearance.

m

It's actually one of the many reasons I love Striders. Almost all of them have their own "fingerprint" and personal touch even though it's the same knife. I also like the fact that no two tigerstripings are alike. Sort of like a "Front towards enemy" stamped a little high or low on a claymore. The thing will do it's job

Shelby

I also like the ghosted stamp. Have them on my AR and SnG. Adds character :cool:

The scratches and marks from being huddled together with other Strider knives are a nice touch as well. I don't feel weird about beating the hell out of them from day one, whereas with some other customs I have pouted a bit when they received their first blemishes.

db1,

It's odd. This is the first knife I've had that I didn't get all upset over the first scratch or wear mark that I got on it.

Usually the reaction is, "Oh no, there goes the resale value."

This time it was, "Hey, how many more can I put on it before I die?"

;)

-jon

Just got my first Strider, SNG, and I never understood what you guys meant by "that Strider smell". Now I do, and damn that is a good smell. Raw-dawg as hell!!

Back