Multipurpose Hook With Nail File

Hello all, I am new to the forum but have been lurking around here for some time.

I am curious if the nail file on the hook of the compact catch on to clothing, such as inside the pocket since it is on the outside of the tool?

Also since not many other SAKs incorporate the nail file on the hook, if I glue some sandpaper to where the file section would have been to get the same effect on the models that don't have it, would that be a good solution?

By the way I do not know why not all hooks on SAKs do not have the file section (unless it tends to catch the clothing etc.), seems easy for Victorinox to implement as they already have it in production.

I am curious if the nail file on the hook of the compact catch on to clothing, such as inside the pocket since it is on the outside of the tool?

I have never noticed it being an issue. First of all, the corkscrew and the end of the hook both stick out way farther than the file texture. They're both smooth. And not that it makes any real difference, but the file itself is actually recessed slightly. You can tell by running a finger nail along the file towards the end. You will notice there is a little lip at the end of the texture, indicating that the file texture is slightly below the surface of the back of the hook. This is because they had to remove material from the back of the hook to create the texture of the file.

Secondly, the texture itself is not aggressive enough to be effective at causing problems even as it does rub against something. You have to push down into it to accomplish anything. As files go, it's not a very aggressive one.

Also since not many other SAKs incorporate the nail file on the hook, if I glue some sandpaper to where the file section would have been to get the same effect on the models that don't have it, would that be a good solution?

I don't know, but I think it could cause issues in the pocket like you are worried about.

By the way I do not know why not all hooks on SAKs do not have the file section (unless it tends to catch the clothing etc.), seems easy for Victorinox to implement as they already have it in production.

They won't do it because keeping this file exclusive to the Compact is one of a very small list of excuses to justify the relatively high cost of the Compact over other models.

spoon-b.jpg

Pic related. It's a nail file hook which was added to the back of a Climber.

I have never noticed it being an issue. First of all, the corkscrew and the end of the hook both stick out way farther than the file texture. They're both smooth. And not that it makes any real difference, but the file itself is actually recessed slightly. You can tell by running a finger nail along the file towards the end. You will notice there is a little lip at the end of the texture, indicating that the file texture is slightly below the surface of the back of the hook. This is because they had to remove material from the back of the hook to create the texture of the file.

Secondly, the texture itself is not aggressive enough to be effective at causing problems even as it does rub against something. You have to push down into it to accomplish anything. As files go, it's not a very aggressive one.
+1 to all of this. The Compact is my go-to SAK and I've never once even noticed the nail file's existence -- except when I'm actually using it, of course.

Hello all, I am new to the forum but have been lurking around here for some time.

I’ve never had issues with it catching on anything or noticing it’s there when not in use. I’ve put them on some other mods too and still not an issue.

I’ve cut my own files into the front or back of the hook. Used a checkering file. It’s not difficult to do. If I were to try mounting sandpaper, I’d try the inside face.

I don’t think it’s an inexpensive process with the spark discharge surface, and most new Victorinox files are machine cut now. I doubt they’d machine the hook the same way.

I’ve cut my own files into the front or back of the hook. Used a checkering file. It’s not difficult to do. If I were to try mounting sandpaper, I’d try the inside face.
Very interested in this, can you please provide a bit more info on the checkering file you used? There are a ton of checkering files out there and I suspect differing cut patterns, etc. I believe one could checker the inside flat area on the bottle opener, the shank of the scissors, both of which have a larger surface area than the hook.

Very interested in this, can you please provide a bit more info on the checkering file you used? There are a ton of checkering files out there and I suspect differing cut patterns, etc. I believe one could checker the inside flat area on the bottle opener, the shank of the scissors, both of which have a larger surface area than the hook.
It’s a Grobet, I’ll have to check the pattern and spacing I used for these.

It’s part #31.045 pattern 4. Hope that helps!

It’s a non issue, you won’t even notice it’s there.

Back