My 11" Falo Khukuri came early!

So it was estimated I would get it Monday, but looks like Good Friday came a couple weeks late for me! I couldn't br more thrilled with my purchase! The weight is perfectly balanced in my opinion. When chopping a few pieces of a tree we had drying in the yard, it wanted to land right where it would do the most cutting, right in what I think is the belly or the fish head part of the blade. Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong on my terminology. The handle is so comfortable without any hot spots on it. The sheath is gorgeous and extremely well made from first impressions. Great retention as well. This will not be my only purchase from them. I just wish my card had the name of the Smith who forged my blade so I could personally thank them. I thought I read that you could tell the Smith by the stamp on the blade. Everyone had a specific mark. If there is a way to tell that would be awesome. The forge scale that is left at the top of the blade looks so good as a contrast to the satin finished edge! I know it's not the flashiest of the models they offer, but it's beauty to me lies in its simplicity but attention to detail. This is going to be my outdoors knife that always goes with me on camping trips and hikes. Gives me a reason to be outdoors more, and do more. This whole experience was awesome and I cannot wait to use this for things I wouldn't have dreamed to use a knife on in the past. Went with the havy duty grind so I wouldn't be likely to damage my new found love, and it is still near razor sharp! Excellent excellent excellent! đź‘Ź hopefully my imgur link works. My expectations have far been surpassed on this blade, which as I said will be the first of many! Keep up the amazing work!

Last edited:
Congratulations, that's a fine looking khukuri. I'd considered that model myself but there were so many to choose from, I went with the broader bellied Ek Chirra first. As far as maker's marks go, at the top of Kailash's website there's a tab called "Us," that tells a little about each team member, what they do and maker's marks for each 'smith. I can't make out whose mark is on yours but here's a quick list:

Mandip Rasaili: Star (looks like an asterisk?),
"Mandip’s makers mark is the star. If you find one on your blade you can be sure that he’s made with a lot of heart honouring the traditions involved in making the blade."

Bikram BishwaKarma: Sun (six pointed "Star of David"?)
"Bikram's makers mark is the Sun. Should you be lucky enough to find his mark on the blade, take solace in the fact that it was made with some of the most experienced hands in the industry."

Mahesh BishwaKarma: Crescent Moon (Google Nepalese flag)
Mahesh's makers mark is the crescent moon (though it could be mistaken for a setting sun) this shape is also found on the Nepalese flag. If you receive a blade from Mahesh you can be sure that it's been made with proudly by a man who wants to make a name for himself.

From what I gather, everyone there is responsible for multiple jobs and each khukuri really is a team effort. Give the "Us" page a read through, it gives great information about each member and puts faces to the names.

Congratulations, that's a fine looking khukuri. I'd considered that model myself but there were so many to choose from, I went with the broader bellied Ek Chirra first. As far as maker's marks go, at the top of Kailash's website there's a tab called "Us," that tells a little about each team member, what they do and maker's marks for each 'smith. I can't make out whose mark is on yours but here's a quick list:

Mandip Rasaili: Star (looks like an asterisk?),
"Mandip’s makers mark is the star. If you find one on your blade you can be sure that he’s made with a lot of heart honouring the traditions involved in making the blade."

Bikram BishwaKarma: Sun (six pointed "Star of David"?)
"Bikram's makers mark is the Sun. Should you be lucky enough to find his mark on the blade, take solace in the fact that it was made with some of the most experienced hands in the industry."

Mahesh BishwaKarma: Crescent Moon (Google Nepalese flag)
Mahesh's makers mark is the crescent moon (though it could be mistaken for a setting sun) this shape is also found on the Nepalese flag. If you receive a blade from Mahesh you can be sure that it's been made with proudly by a man who wants to make a name for himself.

From what I gather, everyone there is responsible for multiple jobs and each khukuri really is a team effort. Give the "Us" page a read through, it gives great information about each member and puts faces to the names.
Mine is indeed Mandip's star or asterisk. He was doing a lot of the work in the initial video that first got me turned on to Kailash! My next khukuri is most likely going to be a 13" MK1 the more and more I read about the differences on the site. It is one of the deeper biters for chopping. That's what I need. And I'll get the standard grind for a bit more bite next time.

I had briefly read the "Us" section on there but admittedly not thoroughly. I will read it more in depth however. This is an amazing company and I would love to visit that part of the world and see the shop in person! As someone who loves to fabricate, I'm sure I would be in fabricator's heaven.

I've always wanted to learn how to do basic welding. Nothing fancy, just enough to be useful around the property. I spent a few years in a carbide shop doing everything from running presses to lathes and C.A.D.D. Tech work, then the last years of my career as a C.A.D.D. Tech for T.D.O.T. drawing bridge plans (loved that job). Knife making has always fascinated me and what these guys can do with the equipment they have is amazing. I read one U.S. knife maker who said "you want at least a 100 lb anvil." Yet, much of the world forges just like Kailash, on the heads of sledge hammers or other similar sized anvils.

Glad you're happy with it! This is indeed a blade made by mandip. Falos really are great working blade. Enough mass to be powerful but not too clunky. Relatively compact and with an intuitive blade shape for chopping. In a HD grind this will be an absolute beast- it certainly won't let you down while camping. If you're in Kathmandu you should swing by the workshop! The guys love visitors and showing off what they're up to.
In terms of the khukuris being a team effort all the smiths help each other with striking and another staff member will make the sheaths. However from start to finish the blade is all one smith and it appears to me that having someone else partly work on your blade is somewhat taboo. There's been some times where a small amount of work sharing has made sense and I've suggested it to help smooth the workshop flow but it's been pretty flatly dismissed. Fair enough- I can see both cultural and economic reasons why that tradition would be set so strongly and don't wish to rock any boats.

I understand that myself. I love the sense of accomplishment seeing something all the way through. Not that they don't appreciate the help perhaps, they would just like to finish what they started. Or at least that's how I feel about a job I started.

As far as a more robust chopper, I was wondering your opinion between a 13 inch standard ground MK1 and a 14 inch standard ground Mutiny? I love the sloping backs on each of them, visually appealing to me I suppose, but I'm torn on which blade shape I like better. However I believe the deciding factor would be, which would be the better splitter/chopper? Any input? Or perhaps to throw in a Dui Charra to the mix for deeper biting cuts into wood?

Between the pair the mk1 is far more robust than the 14 inch mutiny. It's a lot thicker and also has a sturdier upper grind (the mutiny is more hollowed out). The mk1 will chop with more power and split better than the mutiny. The mutiny is lighter and faster and better at brush clearing. Both bite quite deep- deeper than the dui chirra.

Back