My Beckers to date

I got an Eskabar and Mag Camp in and got right to making them mine. This may or may not be their final incarnation as I still want more micarta. I got the wrong stripper for the Campanion so I just took a brass wire wheel to it. I like it actually. No more scratches in the black coating (which I kept under the micarta). I'll just keep it oiled now and then, and have at r'. I found it quite intriguing that the general blade shape of the Mag Camp is strikingly similar to a fur trade blade that I found, age between 1780's-1820. This one is probably closer to the later. It confirms what my gut tells me about the Mag Camp, a big slicer, not a chopper. I'll leave the heavier stuff to a hawk or axe, much as the fur traders did. I really like both knives. I was initially a little bummed about the thin spine on the Mag Camp, but it's use intent became quite clear. I wanted something lighter than the Brute out were the nasty biting critters roam. Now I've got it, and I like it.:thumbup: I still can't quite get the big pic thing but will work on it when I'm better rested.

Pretty awesome family you got there. I really like the looks with the micarta, I was thinking about sanding mine down on one of my BK2s, to make the handle feel more like the BK9, with the thinness.

Moose

Nice collection...

I still need to get me a Mag Camp and eskabar

Pretty awesome family you got there. I really like the looks with the micarta, I was thinking about sanding mine down on one of my BK2s, to make the handle feel more like the BK9, with the thinness.

Moose

Thanks man. What you said was quite interesting to me. I initialy had the micarta scales on the brute and the Brutes stimpled grivory on the 2, because I liked the feel more than the hack sawed cuts that I put in the original 2's grivory. Then, low and behold I couldn't shut my modified 2 sheath. I didn't realise that the Brute grivory was a different size\shape than the Campanions, or the same with the micarta, hmmmm. I actualy contemplated sanding this 2's micarta down to fit the moded sheath, but I love the hand filling feel. Dunno... I'd sure like to see what you do with the one that you may sand down. Do I get the sheath redone, or do some sanding ? I don't know yet. :confused:

Nice collection...

I still need to get me a Mag Camp and eskabar

Thanks buddy, it's a start anyway. I came into this with the idea that I would only get what I need for practical considerations. The Brute, Potbelly and BK-2 would fill my PRACTICAL needs for various blade size\use. But somewhere along the way the glass was tipped and now I want a bk-7 and 9. :D I'll just doink along through the winter and pick up some goodies, no rush. :thumbup:

Thanks man. What you said was quite interesting to me. I initialy had the micarta scales on the brute and the Brutes stimpled grivory on the 2, because I liked the feel more than the hack sawed cuts that I put in the original 2's grivory. Then, low and behold I couldn't shut my modified 2 sheath. I didn't realise that the Brute grivory was a different size\shape than the Campanions, or the same with the micarta, hmmmm. I actualy contemplated sanding this 2's micarta down to fit the moded sheath, but I love the hand filling feel. Dunno... I'd sure like to see what you do with the one that you may sand down. Do I get the sheath redone, or do some sanding ? I don't know yet. :confused:

Not sure, my micarta is a little thicker, by about 1/32" on each slab. And the swell at the front of the slabe is thicker there too, not as tapered towards the tang. They feel good on a BK9, but a little thick for me on the BK2.

Moose

good to see more BK5s getting out and about!

Back