MY BIG ONE, A WIP

DanF

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Got back to the big Bowie this a.m..
This was a slow start on this one due to a lengthy hiatus from grinding and getting used to new equipment. After a couple small knives, I started a small Bowie and then a medium and as my comfort level increased I threw the big guy back in the mix.
I'm learning a lot here, thanks to all of you posting your questions, works, and responses to others.
Tge handle shape is ever evolving ( a benefit of hogging out the shape bigger than needed. This WIP will be slow as I grind a little, study a little and change my mind frequently.
If you see me messing up, or see a way I
IMG_20170612_101443.jpg could go in a better direction with this knife let me know, I really don't mind critique, as long as there is a suggestion going along with it.
Thanks.

I have a wandering mind myself. I find it best not to just totally surrender to this and have at least a hand drawn sketch of what I want from the start. It can help to check yourself on how well you can execute what you designed. Do you have a way to grind vertically? I always do this to get the tang and blade flats as flat as possible. It helps to reduce gaps in full tang scale/ tang joints. Also, The bottom one has a bit of an odd pin placement. If it isn't already hardened, I would center it up. Let us know what equipment you have to work with, it may help with direction, if that's what you want. Also, I'm not a huge fan of clip points personally, but I like the proportions on these blades. Keep it up.

I'm using a KMG 14" contact wheel to take the blade down and then switch to a flat platen for a flat grind eventually. I'm currently looking for some magnets to enable me to flatten better.
I should have explained that the hole in the big guy is an old bolt hole from its former life as a leaf spring. If it hadn't been for that hole I would have gone hidden tang I think.
I've never cared for a Bowie kind of knife but thought I'd do it to say I did it and be done with it (nothing wrong with them but as a hunter myself their use is limited for me).
I really do need to stick to the plan more.

Got the final shape roughed in and scales fitted prior to heat treatment. Fired up the Atlas mini, brought the blade up to non-magnetic and held it there for 10 minutes and quenched in canola oil. In oven at 400* for an hour now.
Still trying to get hang of decent pics.IMG_20170616_142639.jpg

I ask this to a lot of new makers:
"What is the purpose of that projection coming down from the ricasso?"
For some reason, new makers regularly put that there. Most end up grinding it off.

Look through some knife books, "The Gallery", and The Exchange and see if you see that on any experienced maker's knives..

Yes, I've read many of your posts regarding this.
Actually, for me and my arthritic thumbs it serves a very good purpose. With my index finger resting snugly against it, it "locks" it in my hand. I don't have to use as much pressure on my thumbs until it is ready to go away.

Unless the photo is posted upside down, I assume the left hand reverse grip is done because you are holding the camera in your right hand while grinding with the left. Hold it as if you were chopping or cutting in your right hand and you may see that the grip shown isn't one that would happen in use ( unless you are shaving with it).

You are going to find it will be very rough on your finger and may even cause a blister if used heavily in camp tasks. If it is part of a "guard" and "finger rest, shape it in a curve going up into the handle. This will not need to be a s pronounced as most new makers make them. A indent of even 1/2" will securely place the finger.

Sorry Stacy, I wasn't very clear. The protrusion is only there to help me hold the blade while grinding, and then it comes off near the end. Left on, that thing would definitely hurt as you correctly state. I don't need this on smaller blades as their weight is considerably less than this one.

Ok, now I get you. I'm not sure it would be a boon to grinding for me, but it won't hurt anything.

Got this to the final stage ( which will not be completed until cold weather sets in and I can't work in the shop. I'll bring the knives I've set aside inside and hand finish them then).
I'm happy that I was able to remove all the old pitting, that was questionable at the start. I've seen some incredible performing knives come from this batch of steel. If someone more experienced than me had not recommended this steel, I would not have used it. That being said, I find that I much prefer the steel I have been purchasing lately, it is a known entity with documentation that tells exactly what I am working with.
Anywho, like I said in the original post, my first and last big knife. Glad I did it, I kept a promise to a friend by completing it, now glad to be done with it.
Oh, and the hangy-down thing at/near the Ricasso IMG_20170621_111716.jpg is gone. :)

Back