My Cousin's Khukuri: A Year Later

A month and a half ago, a cousin of mine and his family moved up to my neck of the woods from Arizona. Last July I had bought him a horn handled WWII. Today I managed to get him to the local storage shed where we retrieved his khuk.

All in all it has held up excellently. The blade had some wood stains on it and a bit of discoloring on the right side near the tip, but the only bit of rust I found on it was a small patch on the spine, about an inch from the bolster. Going from 600 to 2000 grit sandpaper promptly removed it. The edge had about three little dings on it near the tip from where an uncle of mine struck a rock or something hard while constructing a lean-to last fall. The chakma, though small, was used to remove the folds to good effect. You can still see where the dings were when to look at the from the side, but you can barely feel them now. The edge was also still very sharp (the khukuri hasn't been used too much, though) and I touched it up a bit with the chakma. The scabbard, aside from a few scratched areas on the frog, is as good as ever. It holds the khuk a bit on the tight side, but you don't have to worry about the khuk falling out on its own. The horn handle is as good as the day it was made, a great feat considering that my cousin only treated it once and it spending a year in dry Tucson, AZ. The handle is very comfortable to hold, and with it and the scabbard contrasting with the brass parts (which have a minimum of tarnish), it is a very attractive rig.

The blades of the khuk and accessory knives have been wiped down with Tuff-Cloth and are ready to go.

Bob

Back